PDA

View Full Version : Sacre's shooting hand

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 05:39 PM
is wrapped in a soft brace from his wrist to his thumb.

Any word? Has the broadcast team mentioned anything?

He has deferred every one-on-one opportunity & hasn't attempted a single shot this game.

It appears to clearly be affecting his game thus far...

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Rob just had the ball stripped and followed it up by holding his hurt hand. :(

Also, when going up for the defensive rebound he pulled his hand back from securing the rebound which led to a foul by him.

:bishop_smiley:

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
will be very interesting to see if he can shoot FT's with the brace/wrap.

Ezag
12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
There is definitely something wrong.

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I noticed him holding his hand/thumb on two occasions in 1st half, not to mention him putting his hands straight up in the air for rebounds instead of actually grabbing the ball.

He attempted 0 shots & 0 FT's.

Its more than just a "jammed" thumb...he's not even using the right hand. Ruh Roh.

I can't wait to read the update by Meehan.

Jedster
12-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Only mention I heard in the game was that he hurt the hand in practice this week. Good to have a week off to heal it if it's really bugging him.

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
fwiw, Sacre holding his thumb gingerly and self-wrapped with a towel on the bench.

madness
12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
He hasn't shot, I don't expect him to return

WallaWallaZag
12-22-2011, 06:37 PM
he wasn't right against butler either, though whatever it is appears to be worse now.

VinnyZag
12-22-2011, 07:15 PM
If it's a question, I hope they hold him out versus Portland. GU should be able to beat the Pilots without him, given how Dower is playing.

Baseline
12-22-2011, 07:32 PM
I mentioned this as a possibility on a pregame thread. Sacrae was favoring his left hand against Butler. I went back and watched the game over, with Sacrae in mind. He jumped the ball to start the game with his left hand. Every shot block was his left hand. He even took left handed hooks. That and he seemed to have more trouble than usual catching the ball. I think it was hurt early or before Butler, probably before. Lets hope it heals fast.

gamagin
12-22-2011, 07:34 PM
in practice. It definitely affected his play.

Overall, RS looked and seemed a little out of it for the second straight game. Something's not right

Bulldog
12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Should have never risked playing Sacre, he was not himself and did more damgage than good. Hope he heals quickly.

Zaglaw
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
On the postgame radio show, Dower said Sacre' thumb was "messed up." No further comment.

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
On the postgame radio show, Dower said Sacre' thumb was "messed up." No further comment.

Heard the same.

When a fellow teammate is saying "its messed up", I don't consider this the best of signs.

All we can do is hope for the best and that he heals quickly.

Hopefully, its not a season-lingering injury, could be. We need him vs Xavier's 7'-footer and WCC play. BYU looks like a Top-25 team as well.

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Jim's Tweet (2 mins ago):

Sacre dislocated his right thumb during practice yesterday, made catching ball difficult.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Docs- How long does it typically take to recover?

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Docs- How long does it typically take to recover?

fwiw, I've dislocated my right shoulder on (6) occasions and recently dislocated my left index finger. The recovery time lessens following each dislocation, yet generally takes 2 weeks before full range-of-motion is regained and around 4 weeks for full strength to return to the joint. Same for both joints. I still don't have full mobility in my index finger, yet have more mobility in my shoulder. Considering the thumb is a unique joint(saddle), it may be a bit more resilient than a ball 'n socket or hinge jt.

All dislocations are different and vary depending on impact/length/severity given the ligaments or tendons surrounding the joint and how badly they were torn in the process. It all depends on how it was dislocated and for how long -- if he was able to play tonight, I'd predict prognosis looks good. He'll probably be sporting the soft brace for another two weeks, if I had to guess.

surfmonkey89
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Man, I bet this will really impact his ability to catch the ball.

;)

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 08:41 PM
2nd Meehan tweet re: Rob --

Few on Sacre: "He was a warrior. He probably shouldn’t have played ... we figured we could use him on defense and on the glass."

Interesting.

ZagNut08
12-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Ouch, not good.

Hopefully it heels up quicker than when I dislocated my knee pulling down a rebound.

MDABE80
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
We don't need Rob for PDX...since he didn't reinjure it tonight. He needs to rest it. With luck he'll be better by the Xavier game..these injuries can be quite disabling from pain.
10 days or so, he should be much much better...if he takes care of it...

btzag
12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I would sit Rob until it is close to 100%. We will need him in WCC play and Dower and Spangler can hold the fort down for 3-4 games if needed. The Dower-Harris combo is still by far the best frontcourt in the WCC so it's not like we are hurting depth-wise there.

Maybe a little insight to Few on his coaching philosophies.... Sacre is unquestionably the team leader and he risks him against Air Force?? Interesting.

bostonzagfan
12-22-2011, 11:32 PM
shirt

uh no. not gonna burn KO's redshirt just because rob has a minor finger injury and might need to sit out a game. yeesh.

WallaWallaZag
12-23-2011, 04:59 AM
I would sit Rob until it is close to 100%. We will need him in WCC play and Dower and Spangler can hold the fort down for 3-4 games if needed. The Dower-Harris combo is still by far the best frontcourt in the WCC so it's not like we are hurting depth-wise there.

i wouldn't go that far...while the wcc is pretty weak in terms of front-courts, the byu combo of davies and hartsock is pretty damn good when davies is right...he has a tendency to not show up, a little bit like harris in that regard.

U Zig, I Zag
12-23-2011, 07:56 AM
If Sam can nut up and play like he did yesterday we can survive with a limited Rob for a bit. Spangler will get minutes.

VinnyZag
12-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Next four games are Portland, Pepperdine and Santa Clara at home, and @ Xavier. Gonzaga is going to go 3-1 against that schedule with or without Sacre, so he's got a few weeks to get better. If he needs the break, give it to him so he can be ready for @ SMC on the 12th.

hooter73
12-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Yup let the back ups back him up. With one or two good thumbs I dont know how game changing Rob will be against X unless he can get back to getting teams in foul trouble but if he cant convert the points...

Baldwinzag
12-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Next four games are Portland, Pepperdine and Santa Clara at home, and @ Xavier. Gonzaga is going to go 3-1 against that schedule with or without Sacre, so he's got a few weeks to get better. If he needs the break, give it to him so he can be ready for @ SMC on the 12th.

+1 There is just no need to rush him back. Until the swelling is completely minimized and he has regained 90+% of his mobility/strength back, he shouldn't be playing. Immediately following dislocations(of any kind), there is good chance of a recurring injury. All dislocations are unique, thus he could be ready to roll by PDX, yet doubt we see him 'til NYE.

bballbeachbum
12-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Jim's Tweet (2 mins ago):

didn't see the game last night, but in lots of the minutes so far this season when Rob's not on the floor, GU's defense hasn't been as good. Sam has his moments defensively and is improved in that category to me (how was he last night on the boards and defending?), and Ryan will get some chances to prove himself which is a silver lining I suppose and makes many happy here, but Rob's a 7 foot 5th year senior in the paint with good feet who competes hard. Those are substantial shoes to fill so glad the schedule isn't MSU and Illinois next, not to take the Conference foes lightly however (I never do). No doubt Sam can fill it up, and I believe he will with these opportunities from this.

Thumb injuries suck, painful basketball injury I'm sure all here have dealt with before. Keeps reinjuring typically and it hurts each time, but you can often play anyway. My right thumb still has a knot on the knuckle that never went away.

hooter73
12-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Thumb injuries suck, painful basketball injury I'm sure all here have dealt with before. Keeps reinjuring typically and it hurts each time, but you can often play anyway. My right thumb still has a knot on the knuckle that never went away.

I was a Soccer Goalie and sprained both my thumbs at once. Using the bathroom was... difficult.

bballbeachbum
12-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I was a Soccer Goalie and sprained both my thumbs at once. Using the bathroom was... difficult.

Ouch. Did you make the save?

Baldwinzag
12-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Ouch. Did you make the save?

not only the goal, yet the toilet as well...:)

cjm720
12-23-2011, 09:58 AM
didn't see the game last night, but in lots of the minutes so far this season when Rob's not on the floor, GU's defense hasn't been as good. Sam has his moments defensively and is improved in that category to me (how was he last night on the boards and defending?), and Ryan will get some chances to prove himself which is a silver lining I suppose and makes many happy here, but Rob's a 7 foot 5th year senior in the paint with good feet who competes hard. Those are substantial shoes to fill so glad the schedule isn't MSU and Illinois next, not to take the Conference foes lightly however (I never do). No doubt Sam can fill it up, and I believe he will with these opportunities from this.

Sam had one of his better rebounding efforts of his career. He's really becoming effective in that department.

bullzag23
12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Sam had one of his better rebounding efforts of his career. He's really becoming effective in that department.

He also had a really nice dish to a driving player (can't remember who) in the 2nd half. We didn't convert but it was still nice to see him make a pass out of the black hole.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-23-2011, 10:58 PM
I would love to see how Dower and Spangler play in games that they know they are going to play a bigger role. I bet they would play well enough to keep from taking on a "bad loss", so sit Sacre. It's all about how good we are in MARCH, not December/early January.

thespywhozaggedme
12-23-2011, 11:06 PM

3-1, with or without Rob? Got tonight's winning lottery numbers? Who are you guaranteeing that we lose to?

Vanzagger
12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
who we lose to. I get your point though. Any loss drops us a seed or three. Don't red shirt 7ft juniors who can make you better.

Get way bigger, especially at the 2

Bogozags
12-24-2011, 06:54 AM

+1

Do not profess to be an MD or a SMS but from experience, a thumb injury is just "miserable" plan and simple. It just throws everything off from writing, to grabbing, to eating, to holding, to rebounding, to shooting and other personal stuff.

As stated above, GU's defense is not as strong without RS. He is the hub of the wheel! He plays great "D," blocks shots, blocks out well, and shuts down the base line too! Of course on the offensive side of the court, when healthy he just presents all types of defensive issues for opponents! Without him, we are just not as good or deep BUT injuries are a part of the game and he will need plenty of time to recover. If memory serves me from my A&P courses, there are no muscles in the thumb, just ligaments and when one is stretched, as in ankle sprain, then only time, with a little PT, can heal it.

With regards to KO "burning" his redshirt, well IMO that would not be a move that should be made. KO will be counted upon to play major minutes the next two years

Play with what we have and just keep our fingers crossed that Rob's thumb heals sooner than later...

RenoZag
12-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Looked tonight like Big Rob is on the road to recovery. . .they will surely need him vs. Xavier on Saturday.

gamagin
12-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Looked tonight like Big Rob is on the road to recovery. . .they will surely need him vs. Xavier on Saturday.

he didn't seem to be favoring it and his f.t.'s were good. But, I'm guessing sincde it's taped up pretty well that he's also trying not to jam it again. I imagine X going after the thumb right out of the chute. We'll see.

RenoZag
12-28-2011, 07:37 PM
X intentionally going after an inury ?!?

Wouldn't put it past 'em, gam. . .

Baseline
12-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Playing the gangsta crowd will be a big test for Rob, just hope he doesn't hurt it more. They will be poking and slapping more than usual.

Fonebone
12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
I watched his hand a lot. At times he seemed to use it normally and at others he favored it. After the game when the went down the line shaking hands I'm pretty sure he was shaking with his left hand