PDA

View Full Version : TOP 15 Mid-Majors per ESPN

ZagAddict
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7371862/there-no-place-road-ohio-bobcats-college-basketball

Wow...

GU at #7 among the mid-majors??? The Bulldog's only loses are to two top 25 teams. I can't believe I'm seeing teams like St. Mary's and Northern Iowa ahead of us on this list.

St. Mary's has played zilch in terms of competition and has a lose to Denver. Northern Iowa lost to St. Mary's. St. Mary's had better win tonight against Baylor because they put all their OOC eggs in this one game. If they don't get this win on their resume, they better count on running the table in the WCC or winning the conference tournament. I have a good feeling that we'll be seeing SMC crying on Selection Sunday and wondering why they were left out again. I think it's pretty obvious this year...

Where do you seee GU ranking on this list? I would put GU in the TOP 3 at the least. They should be at the top of this list after a win against Xavier on the road New Year's Eve :D

bartruff1
12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
I follow the Collegeinsider mid major poll where the voters are mid major coaches...Gonzaga is 7th there as well, but in front of St Mary's. Davidson likely to move up....

bullzag23
12-22-2011, 01:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7371862/there-no-place-road-ohio-bobcats-college-basketball

Wow...

GU at #7 among the mid-majors??? The Bulldog's only loses are to two top 25 teams. I can't believe I'm seeing teams like St. Mary's and Northern Iowa ahead of us on this list.

St. Mary's has played zilch in terms of competition and has a lose to Denver. Northern Iowa lost to St. Mary's. St. Mary's had better win tonight against Baylor because they put all their OOC eggs in this one game. If they don't get this win on their resume, they better count on running the table in the WCC or winning the conference tournament. I have a good feeling that we'll be seeing SMC crying on Selection Sunday and wondering why they were left out again. I think it's pretty obvious this year...

Where do you seee GU ranking on this list? I would put GU in the TOP 3 at the least. They should be at the top of this list after a win against Xavier on the road New Year's Eve :D

Murray State is good. They'll surprise many come march.

ZagAddict
12-22-2011, 01:28 PM
GU used to dominate mid-major polls like this, now we aren't even considered to be in the TOP 5??? What has happened? I don't feel like GU is that much worse of a program. Have that many other programs caught up to the level of Gonzaga, or has Gonzaga declined this much as a program?

FuManShoes
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Sky's falling. First GU fans were sick of being labeled a mid-major. Now we're pissed the Zags aren't mentioned on an arbitrary list of mid-majors. :eek:

zagitarious
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't mind. Yea it's dead wrong but it gives our guys more to prove which can be a really good thing.

ZagAddict
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Sky's falling. First GU fans were sick of being labeled a mid-major. Now we're pissed the Zags aren't mentioned on an arbitrary list of mid-majors. :eek:

Didn't say the sky was falling. Just wondering what the thoughts of others' are in regards to this type of mid-major poll.

zagitarious
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
And why is Xavier and UNLV exempt from this list? Gonzaga is in a class with these goons but XU and UNLV are above?

Angelo Roncalli
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
It's ridiculous. They don't consider the A-10, MWC or CUSA for the poll. Tell me, how exactly are Duquesne (A-10), Boise State (MWC) or UAB (CUSA) not mid-majors?

ZagAddict
12-22-2011, 01:45 PM
It's ridiculous. They don't consider the A-10, MWC or CUSA for the poll. Tell me, how exactly are Duquesne (A-10), Boise State (MWC) or UAB (CUSA) not mid-majors?

+1

Even though Xavier is a Top 25 team this year... they should fall on this list.

ldszagfan
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Look who the author is. This isn't Myron Medcalf's first article that has spiked some intense discussion among us (I believe it's his second or third... and he is a fairly new writer for ESPN). I think he just isn't big on Gonzaga, period. I'd love to see his face when we finally get to the F4. Go Zags!

ZagAddict
12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
A lot will change on this list as the year progresses. I just wish the WCC could take care of business out of conference as a whole for just one year. It seems like every time I see another WCC member have a good win, they turn around and lose to a team like Montana State.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Am I the only one who thinks St. Mary's is going to have a down year? I say "going to" because their schedule thus far doesn't count for anything.

ZagAddict
12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Am I the only one who thinks St. Mary's is going to have a down year? I say "going to" because their schedule thus far doesn't count for anything.

+1

I'm guessing that the Gael's scheduling speaks volumes to the type of talent they felt this year's team has. All or nothing in the WCC schedule... right out of the UW scheduling handbook.

bullzag23
12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
+1

I'm guessing that the Gael's scheduling speaks volumes to the type of talent they felt this year's team has. All or nothing in the WCC schedule... right out of the UW scheduling handbook.

At least they haven't been blown out by South Dakota State yet... :roll:

BayAreaZag
12-22-2011, 02:33 PM
People around the country know the Zags deserve to be among the top 3 of this list. We know where we belong, just have to keep winning.

maynard g krebs
12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
What I took from this article is this: I am surprised that Ohio University's DJ Cooper is playing under his own name, after parachuting from that plane over the Cascade Mountains with $200,000 in ransom money, back in the 80's. Seems like a matter of time till the feds are alerted. And, he must be about as old as I am.

WallaWallaZag
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
several team ranked in the Top-25 which have me perplexed as well.

No offense to Lynette's nephew, yet why is Michigan #19? Why are they ranked ahead of Gonzaga.

They've only beaten Memphis(comparable to 'Zone) & they now have 4 or 5 losses on the season and look terrible. Every team UM have played in the Top-50 they've lost to...we have better wins overall & arguably better losses.

Keep winning.

it's pretty simple actually...only 2 losses (10-2) and michigan was ranked well above us to start...when they beat memphis they were #8 in the country...they're first loss was a nailbiter against #6 duke a day after beating memphis. the only other loss was on the road to a solid virginia team in the acc-big10 challenge.

LynetteG
12-22-2011, 05:45 PM
No offense to Lynette's nephew, yet why is Michigan #19? Why are they ranked ahead of Gonzaga.

They've only beaten Memphis(comparable to 'Zone) & they now have 4 or 5 losses on the season

I think it's all perception, although I wanted to tell you that Michigan is 10-2, with losses to Duke (by 7 points in Maui) and Virginia. They beat Memphis and UCLA to finish 3rd in the Maui Invitational. They definitely play a fluffy OOC schedule, compared to GU, but they'll get tested in the Big 10 for sure.

PS Jordan had 16 points and 7 rebounds tonight. :)

Baldwinzag
12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I think it's all perception, although I wanted to tell you that Michigan is 10-2, with losses to Duke (by 7 points in Maui) and Virginia. They beat Memphis and UCLA to finish 3rd in the Maui Invitational. They definitely play a fluffy OOC schedule, compared to GU, but they'll get tested in the Big 10 for sure.

PS Jordan had 16 points and 7 rebounds tonight. :)

My apologies Lynette. I was just venting when I saw the recent rankings.

Michigan, along with Jordan are more than deserving of their recent accolades. I have since removed the post.

LynetteG
12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
My apologies Lynette. I was just venting when I saw the recent rankings.

Michigan, along with Jordan are more than deserving of their recent accolades. I have since removed the post.

No worries! You didn't hurt my feelings! :) I know you are supportive

Here is a link to his post game interview (audio)
http://www.mgoblue.com/allaccess/?media=289402

WallaWallaZag
12-22-2011, 06:05 PM
People around the country know the Zags deserve to be among the top 3 of this list. We know where we belong, just have to keep winning.

do they? zags haven't played any horrible teams but haven't beaten anyone either...our big names like notre dame, arizona, and butler are all very down this year. we've only gone on the road once this year and lost (illinois). i think the zags are about where everyone thinks they should be.

McZag
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Zags don't belong on this "bracket buster" list. Silly comparison. No one on this list is playing our schedule or could get a home and home with Mich St.

Just because we don't play football doesn't mean we fall in the same category as Cleveland State and Ohio.

bullzag23
12-22-2011, 08:09 PM
What I took from this article is this: I am surprised that Ohio University's DJ Cooper is playing under his own name, after parachuting from that plane over the Cascade Mountains with $200,000 in ransom money, back in the 80's. Seems like a matter of time till the feds are alerted. And, he must be about as old as I am.

Damn, I was really banking on finding that money this summer :enraged:

webspinnre
12-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Its worth mentioning that this article is from earlier this week, before we played Butler. After beating Bulter and Air Force we ought to go up a bit. Beat Xavier too and we'll be in great shape.

btzag
12-22-2011, 08:37 PM
These lists are ridiculous and are typically based on that authors personal perspective of the college hoops that he watches. Not even worth much time...unless you are showing how ridiculous they are.

A great site that many follow is kenpom.com...let's see what he says:

Murray St. = 46 Why? Well, haven't played anyone and really aren't that impressive.

Wichita St. = 25 Why? Solid all around but lost to the two best teams they have played, Alabama and Temple. Beat UNLV but I seriously question that team. They remind me of a much better Loyola Marymount, get up for some teams but drop some head scratchers.

Harvard = 37 Why? No clue. Beat FSU, but has been dreadful statistically and played a weak schedule. Great story that idiot ESPN reporters love to hype.

Creighton = 38 Why? Great offense so far but has played one of the weakest schedules in the country and still has a loss. They better win the MVC because their OCC resume will not get them in the tourney.

St. Mary's = 28 Why? Good overall but an even weaker schedule than Creighton. Loss at Denver by double digits is completely unacceptable and ridiculous.

Northern Iowa = 51 Why? Dreadful statistical team. Have played no one. Lost to st. mary's by 16 and Ohio by 17. Best win is Iowa....

Gonzaga = 29 Why? Solid overall but should have taken out Illinois or MSU. Toughest schedule by far of anyone on this list.

My top 7 here:

1: GU
2. St. Mary's
3. Wichita St.
4. Creighton
5.Murray St
6. Harvard
7. Northern Iowa

I will never read another Myron Metcalf article in my lifetime. That was a painful experience...