PDA

View Full Version : Turnovers and 3 point defense

maynard g krebs
12-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Since there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over these topics early in the season, I thought I'd point out a couple of positive trends.

1) In the last 7 games, a number approaching a decent sample size, opponents have made 35 of 115 threes, for an average of 30.4 percent. Only MSU at 6/13 has shot a very good percentage, and that was mostly Green's 4/5. It was mentioned in another thread that GU still ranks low statistically in this area at 35.9%, due to giving up 46% the first 3 games. Since then, 3 pt defense has been excellent, around top 20- 25% range without looking it up again. And against a better sched that most have played till now.

2)The 16 total to's the last 2 games brought the season average down to 13.4 from 14.6, and in 2 games the ranking in this category rose from 200 to 126 right after Butler. So about 219 teams are turning it over more than the Zags as of now.

The glass is half full, and getting fuller.

duper
12-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Using percentages is always a little tricky. I thought Butler got a lot of open looks from 3 pt land but couldn't knock-em down. They only shot 24% but on the season they only shoot 28%. On the other side of the coin I thought WSU had a hand in Pango's face on most of his shots and we all know the outcome there.:cheers: