PDA

View Full Version : Pangos/GBJ and freshman STAT CHART (UPDATED)

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 11:17 AM
I knew they were having a really solid start, but did NOT know it was THIS solid.

Check out their stats compared to some other notable zags (freshman stats).

I mean, check out how high of a rating KP got! That's RIDIC.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/stats-1.jpg

**GHOSTZAG'S "updated" STAT COMPARISON CHART (of destiny)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/WooHoosStatChartofDestinyforphotobucket.jpg

SLOZag
12-21-2011, 11:30 AM
First, awesome chart. Second, absolutely blown away be KP this year. I don't think we realize how special he really is. And Bell's oustanding Freshman year has been almost completely overshadowed by KP.

Ditto all of that.

Question for WooHoo: Are your stats for our legacy players for their first ten games only, or for their entire freshman seasons? If the latter, this chart is even more impressive, as confernce play is almost always softer than the out-of-conference schedule.

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Question for WooHoo: Are your stats for our legacy players for their first ten games only, or for their entire freshman seasons? If the latter, this chart is even more impressive, as confernce play is almost always softer than the out-of-conference schedule.

Good question and great point. I meant to address this in the OP. We are comparing KP/GBJ's stats to the legacy players ENTIRE freshman season, and you're exactly right, it's THAT much more impressive.

I expect the stats for KP/GBJ to only go up.

bullzag23
12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I knew they were having a really solid start, but did NOT know it was THIS solid.

Check out their stats compared to some other notable zags (freshman stats).

I mean, check out how high of a rating KP got! That's RIDIC.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/stats-1.jpg

I love our new back court, but as an aside I didn't realize that Raivio 'only' shot 83% from the FT line his freshman year.

ZagsAddictionPrescription
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Where did that chart come up from? That is awesome!!!

I want to make a couple of my own (but I would do pregame comparisons vrs other team)!

I know its entirely unrelated but I am curious!

04ZagFan
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
That's actually a pretty awesome calculation, woo hoo..

I do have to say though, that I don't think Pangos will ever be in the class of Bouldin/Stepp as far as all around play... Just my opinion.

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Where did that chart come up from? That is awesome!!!

I want to make a couple of my own (but I would do pregame comparisons vrs other team)!

I know its entirely unrelated but I am curious!

It's a secret! And if I told you, I would have to kill you!!

But in the meantime, please excuse me while I go draw a picture in MS Paint using statistics that I looked up on Yahoo Sports.

Baldwinzag
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM

I do have to say though, that I don't think Pangos will ever be in the class of Bouldin/Stepp as far as all around play... Just my opinion.

Well, considering both Bouldin & Stepp were 6'5", 215lbs, then you might be on to something. Kevin is probably not going to be sprouting 4+ inches anytime soon. Yes, Pangos is never going to be posting up other guards or forwards in the paint, yet he's proven he can be just as good of PG as any before him i.e. shooter, passer, ball hander, tempo, FT, etc.

04ZagFan
12-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Well, considering both Bouldin & Stepp were 6'5", 215lbs, then you might be on to something. Kevin is probably not going to be sprouting 4+ inches anytime soon. Yes, Pangos is never going to be posting up other guards or forwards in the paint, yet he's proven he can be just as good of PG as any before him i.e. shooter, passer, ball hander, tempo, FT, etc.

Disagree 100%. Not saying he can't as he gets older, but I believe Blake Stepp to be one of the better players, if not THE best player to ever come through Gonzaga.... And it wasn't because he was tall. Bouldin was rock solid from day 1. Pangos has been good, but it's premature to assume he'll be at the Stepp/Bouldin level.

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM

You're right, and that's actually totally fine with me.

Take this example. Pargo and Stepp are two COMPLETELY different players, but there isn't one person on this board that wouldn't give anything to have EITHER one of them again. They're VERY different, but both are pretty legendary. KP has the obvious potential to be legendary in HIS OWN WAY. I don't care if he is a Stepp-clone, Pargo-clone, etc. I'll take a brand new legend!

04ZagFan
12-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Take this example. Pargo and Stepp are two COMPLETELY different players, but there isn't one person on this board that wouldn't give anything to have EITHER one of them again. They're VERY different, but both are pretty legendary. KP has the obvious potential to be legendary in HIS OWN WAY. I don't care if he is a Stepp-clone, Pargo-clone, etc. I'll take a brand new legend!

Good point. Blake Stepp was just such a stud. Elite passer. Elite shooter. Size. Smart. I don't mean to make it look like I'm knocking Pangos, because I think he's awesome, but Blake Stepp is my one of my all time favorites, right there with Dickau and Morrison.

GoZags
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
[/B]

Disagree 100%. Not saying he can't as he gets older, but I believe Blake Stepp to be one of the better players, if not THE best player to ever come through Gonzaga.... And it wasn't because he was tall. Bouldin was rock solid from day 1. Pangos has been good, but it's premature to assume he'll be at the Stepp/Bouldin level.

You're (once again) comparing a true freshman 10 games into his Gonzaga career to 4 year starters. Who knows? You could be correct. We know the outcome of Stepp and Bouldin's wonderful careers at Gonzaga. We've barely cracked the book on Kevin Pangos.

That being said, here's a few predictions -- 1. Pangos will be a part of more NCAA tourney victories than either Stepp or Bouldin were a part of. 2. Pangos will equal Bouldin's total of WCC POY Awards and fall 1 short of Stepp's total. 3. Pangos will play at least as many (if not more) NBA minutes than Stepp and Bouldin combined.

maynard g krebs
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM

He compares quite favorably to UW freshman Dan Dickau, though, a player of similar size.

bballbeachbum
12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

+1

might have a posse of brand new ones staring at us. time will tell, but it's a great start.

U Zig, I Zag
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
You're (once again) comparing a true freshman 10 games into his Gonzaga career to 4 year starters. Who knows? You could be correct. We know the outcome of Stepp and Bouldin's wonderful careers at Gonzaga. We've barely cracked the book on Kevin Pangos.

That being said, here's a few predictions -- 1. Pangos will be a part of more NCAA tourney victories than either Stepp or Bouldin were a part of. 2. Pangos will equal Bouldin's total of WCC POY Awards and fall 1 short of Stepp's total. 3. Pangos will play at least as many (if not more) NBA minutes than Stepp and Bouldin combined.

Why call him out (the 'once again') comment than make a bunch of predictions? Isn't 04 just predicting too?:confused:

maynard g krebs
12-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Great chart, woohoo, but just wondering why Gray didn't make the cut. He had about as good a fr year as anyone.

rennis
12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I didn't think KP's FT% was that high? the ESPN banners last night showed lower #s than that.

Otherwise, awesome chart! new favorite. :beer:

04ZagFan
12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Why call him out (the 'once again') comment than make a bunch of predictions? Isn't 04 just predicting too?:confused:

lol. Exactly! I try and be somewhat pessimistic around here only because there are so many let downs. This way, I can be pleasantly surprised!

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I didn't think KP's FT% was that high? the ESPN banners last night showed lower #s than that.

I didn't think it was THAT high either! But I saw that exact same stat on two different websites, so...

Check out this link

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/110267

Question.....seems like Pangos missed a FT last night? This says he was 2-2.

EDITED TO ADD:

KP went 6-6 against Eastern Washington, and 6-6 against Wash St., and 8-8 against Oral Roberts...

That'll bring that % up!

kitzbuel
12-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Otherwise, awesome chart! new favorite. :beer:

That's probably because he went 2-2 last night and increased his FT% from what was displayed. He is 83% including last night.

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Great chart, woohoo, but just wondering why Gray didn't make the cut. He had about as good a fr year as anyone.

Well....while I was contemplating which guys to use for comparisons, I wasn't really trying to think of which guys had the greatest freshman seasons. I just picked guys that most would name as our 'elite' guards of the last 10 seasons. While Gray is def a fan favorite, and I love him, I don't know that many hold him up there next to Drav, Stepp, and Pargo. That might just be me though.

Good question though. He did have a good freshman season. I may add his stats tomorrow. I've been TRYING to find Santangelo's stats, but it's been a little difficult! Can anyone help me out with that one?

rennis
12-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Santangelo's freshman stats were damn good too. WCC Newcomer of the year in 96. Starter and averaged about 13ppg if memory serves.

rennis
12-21-2011, 02:51 PM
here you go. 13.1ppg. extremely efficient output...obscene really:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/matt-santangelo

cjm720
12-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Move over KenPom...nice analysis Wohoooooooo

We really couldn't script it too much better. Gonna be a fun four years!

Juskickenit2
12-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Next chart let's go blue on white not white on blue. Can't read #$%&. But great stats work.

Baseline
12-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Those well very interesting nmbers. Both Pangos and Bell look pretty good.
I think Pangos is a true floor general much like McConnel was at St. Mary's.
He is already evolving his game from 3 point chucker to driving and penetrating to score or dish. I personally think he has the potential to be as good as Stepp. He seems very fast to learn and doesn't keep repeating mistakes.
Bell has high potential too, but he needs to turn the corner on getting to the next level. Right now he is solid and great on defense, but he needs to find himself and be aggressive on offense.
We are blessed, two great freshman!

Oregonzagnut
12-21-2011, 04:06 PM

This website is the most comprehensive college statistical compilation available. Truly amazing and I have spent hours just comparing old Zags with the new.

Oregonzagnut
12-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Is Pangos the best statistical freshman in the history of Gonzaga basketball?

MickMick
12-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Told ya so. Told ya a long time ago. I knew it walking out of "Krazines in the Kennel"

The Newcomers are the strength of this team.

ZagLawGrad
12-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Told ya so. Told ya a long time ago. I knew it walking out of "Krazines in the Kennel"

The Newcomers are the strength of this team.

Mick, you're right about this new crop.

But, to keep you reeled in a bit, you were REALLY big on AROP. :D

:allhail:

tobizag
12-21-2011, 05:22 PM
[/B]

it's also premature (and also a little stupid) to declare that he will never be considered as good as blake. as woohoo clearly shows in his chart of epic glory, pangos is playing similar minutes, putting up more points while shooting more efficiently in all categories, and keeping pace with assists...and turning the ball over less. he only lags behind on rebounds, and it's fair to attribute much of that to the height difference. it may just be your opinion, as you stated, but it appears your opinion is disregarding all available evidence to the contrary.

ZagLawGrad
12-21-2011, 05:28 PM
it's also premature (and also a little stupid) to declare that he will never be considered as good as blake. as woohoo clearly shows in his chart of epic glory, pangos is playing similar minutes, putting up more points while shooting more efficiently in all categories, and keeping pace with assists. he only lags behind on rebounds, and it's fair to attribute much of that to the height difference. it may just be your opinion, as you stated, but it appears your opinion is disregarding all available evidence to the contrary.

I can see Pangos being Dickau-quality in another couple of years. Especially if he can build on that all important "core" strength.

TheZagPhish
12-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Could I get "Jeremy 'YAMJOBS ALL DAY' Pargo" for 600, please woohoo?

Zagdawg
12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Pangos has some advantages that were created by his playing on the Canadian national teams--this seems to be playing into his maturity level. As he continues to hone his skills he will only get better.

The kid is a freshman and plays with great vision and poise.

I am impressed and I think the sky is the limit for Kevin.

MickMick
12-21-2011, 06:14 PM

I still am. He is gonna be great for Indiana State. Not fitting in here was a real head scratcher for me. Love his rebounding and was sold on it 100%.

Can't pass judgement on his career until the end of his senior year.

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Oh cool. Thanks rennis, I'll add those tomorrow morn!

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Next chart let's go blue on white not white on blue. Can't read #$%&. But great stats work.

I was really close to magenta on aqua, that one was even worse!

GoZags
12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Move over KenPom...nice

KenPom?

If and when Dr. Krause decides to hang it up -- the Zags may have their new chart guy right here.

Could you envision woohoo on the bench?

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
KenPom?

If and when Dr. Krause decides to hang it up -- the Zags may have their new chart guy right here.

Could you envision woohoo on the bench?

They couldn't afford me

Okay, actually, I would actually do it for free.

rennis
12-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Oh cool. Thanks rennis, I'll add those tomorrow morn!

booyeah!

2Zags3Pups
12-22-2011, 06:49 AM
One thing to consider with Santangelo is that he was a redshirt freshman. He had the advantage of being in the program a year.

WILLYMCG
12-22-2011, 07:40 AM
A nice read. Do you do scouting reports too?

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
A nice read. Do you do scouting reports too?

Unfortunately, I spend so much time focusing on zag players, I know virtually nothing about opposing teams/players.

I COULD, however, draw pictures of opposing players in MS Paint. Maybe doing something foolish. Like riding a cow through a flaming hoop or something like that?

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2011, 07:43 AM
By the way, I am currently editing the stat chart.

I am adding a few players....and it is QUITE interesting...

Check back soon.

EuroZag2010
Kevin is fun to watch. Only twice has he scored in single figure numbers it was against the two Michigan schools, MSU and WMU. This kid makes everyone better.

GoZags
I believe Richie Frahm played as a true freshman. As he ended up with a few years in the NBA == and is one of Gonzaga's greats == it'd be interesting to see his stats on Coach woohoo's chart as well.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/richie-frahm

webspinnre
12-22-2011, 07:49 AM
I COULD, however, draw pictures of opposing players in MS Paint. Maybe doing something foolish. Like riding a cow through a flaming hoop or something like that?

I think this would in fact be a key addition to our previews and scouting reports. When can we expect these to start?

cjm720
12-22-2011, 07:52 AM

And Keita ;)

EuroZag2010
12-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Wow Sam FG% 55.9 that's crazy! The kid has such a smooth touch I feel like every time he shoots it's going in.

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2011, 08:10 AM
I believe Richie Frahm played as a true freshman. As he ended up with a few years in the NBA == and is one of Gonzaga's greats == it'd be interesting to see his stats on Coach woohoo's chart as well.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/richie-frahm

Wow, very interesting. Seems Frahm might be the only guy whose freshman stats rival and possibly beat Pangos at this point.

I agree, he should be added to the chart of destiny.

rennis
12-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow, very interesting. Seems Frahm might be the only guy whose freshman stats rival and possibly beat Pangos at this point.

Santangelo/Frahm were a deadly duo. I'm hoping that Pangos/Bell are the 2nd (albeit shorter) coming of that tandem.

Add in a little Stockton for the Q. Hall effect, you just may have a little magic in the making...

JPtheBeasta
12-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Santangelo/Frahm were a deadly duo. I'm hoping that Pangos/Bell are the 2nd (albeit shorter) coming of that tandem.

Add in a little Stockton for the Q. Hall effect, you just may have a little magic in the making...

That would be awesome. It's hard for me to not slurp the koolaid on our backcourt and get pretty geeked out when I consider that we have them for 3 more years.

GoZags
12-22-2011, 09:18 AM

I believe you're looking at Richie's soph stats. His freshman stats are in the lower left corner of the linked information. While averaging just under 5 ppg and just over 2 rpg are nice for a true freshman -- Kevin Pangos' (at this point in the season) are better.

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2011, 09:26 AM
I believe you're looking at Richie's soph stats. His freshman stats are in the lower left corner of the linked information. While averaging just under 5 ppg and just over 2 rpg are nice for a true freshman -- Kevin Pangos' (at this point in the season) are better.

ohhhhhh. You are correct. I was not paying close enough attention.

MickMick
12-22-2011, 09:36 AM
And Keita ;)

I love Keita. Absolutely love his game.

I think he will be really good.

zag944
12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Obviously a case by case basis, but some of these guys have been thrown right into it (Pangos, Bell, Bouldin), while others (Pargo, Raivio) had the guys playing in front of them that provided a mentor allowed them to settle in a little more. Wonder which guys wouldve benefited the most from the opposite situation.

GoZags
12-22-2011, 10:27 AM
I love Keita. Absolutely love his game.

I think he will be really good.

One thing about having a deep team....... each guy will have his chance to be a difference maker at some point in the season. Not sure when -- but I'm confident it'll happen. Last season it was Keita coming off the bench at Wake. The year before, after Elias got tossed it was Kong coming off the bench and nailing a series of crucial threes (although GU ended up losing the game).

I can envision Keita's hustle and MM's shooting (and Spangler's toughness/rebounding) helping the Zags at multiple points this coming season.

I love the fact that this team is deep and talented (and still learning).

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Let it be known, Ghostzag is quite the graphic designer!! Her graph looks SLIGHTLY more professional than mine!! WOW!!

I also added a few more players to this.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/WooHoosStatChartofDestinyforphotobucket.jpg

I mean....I dunno....I guess her chart is okay too... :-)

kitzbuel
12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
WooHoo,

You are absolutely leading the way on that Turn-over stat! Wowsa! You had more turn-overs per game than anyone to include STEVE NASH. Impressive.

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
WooHoo,

You are absolutely leading the way on that Turn-over stat! Wowsa! You had more turn-overs per game than anyone to include STEVE NASH. Impressive.

Yeah, but I promise you, those turnovers were ALMOST assists. That should be a new stat category....an AA (Almost Assist). Cuz I would totally have had a lot of those.

GhostZag
12-22-2011, 02:05 PM
What both charts lack is a good “stick figure illustration”

Disclaimer: GhostZag does not take responsibility for said fuzzy math total located in the 2nd column from the right, and hereby removes all liability related to such. That is all…

ZagNut08
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
woohoo's chart just answered the arbys in game question

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2011, 08:11 PM
woohoo's chart just answered the arbys in game question

I noticed that too, haha.

And...listen...I'm not saying I think I'm super cool and important or anything.... But I thought it was VERRRRRY interesting how Fox said THREE times that KP and GBJ are two of the best freshman guards we have ever had, and then spoke about comparing there stats to those of other great zags of the past, and that KP has just about the best of any one of them...

I mean...just sayin, maybe Fox reads this board!! (hi Fox. PM me. I will buy a round of beers next time I am 25 hours west of my current location)

LongIslandZagFan
12-23-2011, 05:54 AM
I was thinking that while watching the game. I was waiting for them to credit you, but no dice.

Couldn't Foxie have thrown in a woohoo?

kitzbuel
12-23-2011, 06:16 AM
I was thinking that while watching the game. I was waiting for them to credit you, but no dice.

That won't happen! Their gettin' paid to do research before the game. They don't wanna let ROOT know that they are getting their research done for free by Insurance broker in Missouri.

gozagswoohoo
12-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Fox, if you're reading this, I'm gonna need a little recognition during the Portland game. Otherwise, we're looking at copyright infringement.

I haven't copyrighted my chart yet, but I totally will, and it will be all legal and everything.

UberZagFan
12-23-2011, 12:34 PM
What about John Rillie? The first guard to lead GU to a NCAA appearance. And he holds the record for most points in a NBL game by an Australian, fwiw. You'll have to find stats for Tacoma Community College for '91-'92 though to locate his freshman stats. Uber seems to recall they were pretty impressive.

This will be mandatory when GU plays SMC. Della riding a donkey would seem fitting.

Fox, if you're reading this, I'm gonna need a little recognition during the Portland game. Otherwise, we're looking at copyright infringement.

I haven't copyrighted my chart yet, but I totally will, and it will be all legal and everything.

Uber's got your back on this Woohoo. He'll send out a cease & desist letter as soon as you give the go ahead.

Reborn
12-24-2011, 05:02 AM
Wow! Great job Woohoo! FWIW, I think Pangos is the best Freshman pointguard since Santangelo. Some of you may forget that Stepp was a shooting guard his Freshman year. Bouldin was also not a pointguard. One thing I notice about Pangos, which isn't a statistic, is that he has control of most of the games he plays in. I look back at the Butler game, and I was so impressed how Pangos was able to force GU's pace against a very very good defensive team. It showed me how much he is learning because he was not able to do that in the two losses that we had.

Reborn
12-24-2011, 05:30 AM
04Zag? Do you enjoy getting beaten up? It's Christmas. Give yourself a present and try to be positive for a few days.

gozagswoohoo
12-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks Uber, keep me on your rolladex.

gozagswoohoo
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
***UPDATED***I have updated the stat chart to show the final seasons end stats for Pangos and GBJ. Comparing these 2 guys to our zags stars of the past is nothing short of AMAZING. I put arrows to indicate if their stats had gone up or down from the mid-season chart (notice how much GBJ improved in every category except for Freethrows, and that's only because his free throw percentage dropped 9/10 of a point!!!!! WOW). I also added a little yellow asterisk next to the leader for that respective stat.

ALSO, I added Harris to this list. He wasn't on the last one. Needless to say, he may indeed be the best (most productive) freshman we've ever had.

http://imgon.net/di-GGYY.jpg

hooter73
04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
I was just thinking yesterday how GBJ stacked up to Steven Gray's stats... holy crap.

cjm720
04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Great backcourt and future.

It's kind of interesting that the guy with the lowest total score (and by far) is the only guy in the NBA.

gozagswoohoo
04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Honestly, I just can't get over the amazing production we got from both of the freshman...and how they're both among the best freshman GU has ever had, and BOTH played on the same team in the same season!

Based on my stastistical analysis and logistical calculations......Gonzaga is going to be good for a while.

gozagswoohoo
04-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Great backcourt and future.

It's kind of interesting that the guy with the lowest total score (and by far) is the only guy in the NBA.

WOW! Had totally not even realized this. Nash AND Pargo!! That's pretty interesting...

They always say, a great college player doesn't necessarily mean a great NBA player. By any means.