PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pangos and other thoughts

Reborn
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Kevin Pangos is the kind of point guard the Zags have missed in the last few years (and maybe longer). He reminds me alot of Santangelo in the sense that he knows when to score and when to pass and set up other players to score. He seems so in control of the game. I think he has resurrected the fast break offense, and playing at a fast pace which I have sorely missed in the last few years. There is no walking the ball up court now. Never!!!!! I thought the pace of the game last night was what made the difference. Pangos was able to force and create the kind of game that the Zags can win. Butler likes a slow down, grind it out game. And Pangos, and really all of our guys, would NOT let Butler set THEIR pace.

Pangos was so good last night, in almost every part of the game. I would say he continues to make poor decisions with the ball and needs to reduce the # of turnovers still. BUT wow, love his defense and toughness. He is one tough Zag. And what surprises me the most is how young he is, and that we are watching the development of perhaps the best point guard at GU since John Stockton.

I also feel that Pangos and Stockton go really well together (sorry CDC). When Few inserted the 3 guard offense at the end of the game I was thinking it was a poor decision. But it paid off handsomly.

I felt Mark Few coached one of his best games ever. He is showing passion that I have not seen before. He is screaming at the refs which I love. And man did he ever make perfect substitutions. He has so much talent on his bench and he is really learning how to mix it up. He has so many options, and I believe it makes it difficult to coach against that. Just my opinion.

Kudos go out to Harris too. He is really finding his game. He is learning to not force it and pass more on offense, which I really love. And he is rebounding like we all knew he could. I was really impressed by how well the Zags dealt with one of the best defensive teams in the country. I was worried about Butler because I know they are capable of beating anyone. They have a great coach and they play with 100 intensity. I felt they gave the Zags their best shot and we handled it quite well. We held them off time after time, just as we did against Arizona. For me that's three beautiful games in a row.

TacomaZAG
12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
I totally agree with your post, save one comment. Regarding Pangos turnovers, I think he is doing a great job running the offense, and with a Assist/Turnover ratio of something like 4:1 I think the stats bear that out. His A/T ratio last night was not good (2:3) but overall he has been really good in that regard.

As was said numerous times during the broadcast last night, our Freshman guards are getting better every game, not making the same mistake twice. I wish GBJ would look for his shot more but I really like the way he is "team first" as well. Also, I really love the agressive Elias we have seen since the MSU game.

I like where this team is going, and like the Hart/Guy combo at the 3.

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
12-21-2011, 10:22 AM
agree. and dont discount the effect stocks has on kp. altho not the all round player kp is, i think stocks does a few things better and kp learns from that...great chemistry. i recall years and years of gu pt guards pounding the ball up the court even as few motioned vigorously (and helplessly) from the sideline to go faster, faster. never quite understood why he could not change that. oddly, the best athlete of the bunch -- pargo -- was the worst offender, just a skill set i guess, one these kids have.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I felt they gave the Zags their best shot and we handled it quite well. We held them off time after time, just as we did against Arizona. For me that's three beautiful games in a row.

It was nice to see the kids put a good team away in the final minutes of a game. That makes three games in a row that we've seen the young Zags build a lead, then fight off a determined comeback to put a team away in the closing minutes. These kids are showing a lot of toughness and poise down the stretch.

I agree with your observations about Pangos and his ability to control a game's tempo. In my mind, Dan Dickau was our last point guard who had the ability to really speed up or slow a game down, and force the opposing team to play at a tempo that was not comfortable. Pangos is starting to do that same thing; he's making good decisions about attacking in transition when the defense isn't ready or slowing down to eat up the shot clock, depending on which scenario is right for the moment. This kids is going to be something very special for the program.

Thomas_Sutpen
12-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I agree with much of your post, but not this:

I would say he continues to make poor decisions with the ball and needs to reduce the # of turnovers still.

Even after last night's 2 assists and 3 turnovers (admittedly not his best night in that area), for the season Pangos has 35 assists to 17 turnovers, a 2-1 ratio that suggests he does not make "poor decisions" with the ball. In fact, most of his turnovers are when he passes a bit too aggressively (fast bounce pass to Sacre or too-high alley-oop to Harris), which, in my opinion, are much better than passive TOs like traveling or getting the ball stolen.

In fact, I would say his decision-making ability (when to drive, shoot, or pass) is his BEST quality as a PG.

BobZag
12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
A lot of the things I see Pangos do, it is so Dickau-esque. Shooting, driving, drawing fouls, smart play... It is good to see.

titopoet
12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
And add to the fact that he is a true Freshman, (we are comparing his performance to older players) and his poise and playing are remarkable. He has months in the program (not years) and every game he gets better.

Examples, on his drive he look at Harris making Harris's man stay home and clearing the lane for an easy two.

Like the announcer said, he is playing with the savy of a Junior.

Baldwinzag
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Coach Brad Stevens of Butler summed it up best:

Gonzaga’s freshman guards, Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr., “dominated the game,” Stevens said. Pangos scored 19 points on 7-of-11 shooting, and Bell had nine. Pangos scored 10 of the Zags’ points in a 14-4 run that expanded their lead to 36-22.

“I love the way he plays,” Stevens said. “He[Pangos] controlled the whole game.”

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/

2wiceright
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
:drool:+1

Pangos = SUUUWEEEEET!!! Can't wait to see what he develops into his Sophmore, Junior/Senior Years...Ditto for Bell and the rest of the freshman!

DixieZag
12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I think the emphasis is right in that Pangos is the "throwback" Zag PG that we have not had since Santangelo/Dickau/Stepp. Ravio could shoot it, but I don't think he had the confidence to score in the paint like Pangos - and certainly not at this stage of his career.

And, the fact that he just happened to come along when we got perhaps our best shooting guard (already defensively) potentially, since Santangelo/Dickau/Stepp in the exact same class in Gary Bell and that makes for some really delicious thoughts, since March is about guard play.

It is really starting to come together, now - we have not played a team as good as MSU since, well, MSU - so it is tapered a little, but I now give this team a shot at going to Xavier and getting a win. It is no longer a case of knowing you have to shut down Pangos (after WSU) or Sacre (after ND) or Harris (after AZ), we have 4 guys (Bell) that on any given night can give us 20 pts, plus Dower is scoring again.

IF and it is a big IF, the team continues to progress, playing better each game they play (like I believe they have) than this is going to be a really really tough team in February and March, which is good, b/c I think BYU and SMC are extremely good also. In the end, I think we are deep enough and have almost no holes and should win the WCC again, which is pretty impressive this year.

Zag Man
12-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Kevin Pangos is the kind of point guard the Zags have missed in the last few years (and maybe longer). He reminds me alot of Santangelo in the sense that he knows when to score and when to pass and set up other players to score. He seems so in control of the game. I think he has resurrected the fast break offense, and playing at a fast pace which I have sorely missed in the last few years. There is no walking the ball up court now. Never!!!!! I thought the pace of the game last night was what made the difference. Pangos was able to force and create the kind of game that the Zags can win. Butler likes a slow down, grind it out game. And Pangos, and really all of our guys, would NOT let Butler set THEIR pace.

It was a thing of beauty watching Kevin Pangos play last night. He played a controlled, smart game. I was thinking while watching him what a treat it's going to be to see this talented player over the next few years. He is only going to get better! Congrats to KP and the rest of the team! An excellent team effort!

Once and Future Zag
12-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Kevin Pangos is the kind of point guard the Zags have missed in the last few years (and maybe longer). He reminds me alot of Santangelo in the sense that he knows when to score and when to pass and set up other players to score.

I was thinking similarly last night, that his demeanor reminds me a lot of Santangelo - aggressive, but in control - intense but composed - and totally confident in his and his teammates abilities.

ZagLawGrad
12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Coach Brad Stevens of Butler summed it up best:

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/

Nice words by the Butler coach about KP. Pretty impressive for a Frosh.