PDA

View Full Version : Why take the low road?

HillBillyZag
12-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Great individuals and teams in a sport are judged not only by their wins and play, but the strength and skill of their opponents. Todays practice of beating ones chest, talking trash, and denigrating the opposition after a contest are cheap and without class. After the Cincinnati vs Xavier game we saw the result of extremes of this behavior. It also appears in less newsworthy, but simply unappealing, manners, such as the loud "bravo sierra" chants after an arguably bad call by an official and booing ones opponents at the free throw line. Lets see if we Gonzaga fans can't be happy with supporting one of the Nation's best collegiate basketball programs by yelling loudly, longly, and cheerfully. Our University espouses the highest aims in both Academics and Life, lets represent Her well!

Zagdawg
12-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Are you saying that we lose the "That Ref ducks" chant and "Take his thistle" chant whenever a bad call is made?

gamagin
12-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Great individuals and teams in a sport are judged not only by their wins and play, but the strength and skill of their opponents. Todays practice of beating ones chest, talking trash, and denigrating the opposition after a contest are cheap and without class. After the Cincinnati vs Xavier game we saw the result of extremes of this behavior. It also appears in less newsworthy, but simply unappealing, manners, such as the loud "bravo sierra" chants after an arguably bad call by an official and booing ones opponents at the free throw line. Lets see if we Gonzaga fans can't be happy with supporting one of the Nation's best collegiate basketball programs by yelling loudly, longly, and cheerfully. Our University espouses the highest aims in both Academics and Life, lets represent Her well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY

HillBillyZag
12-21-2011, 08:45 AM
What is in my post that deserves the "harrumph"? My opinions may be obsolete, but thats the way I was brought up, and good manners never go out of style?, OR DO THEY ?

Just A Zag
12-21-2011, 08:48 AM
so wait...we cheer when they get to the free throw line? what's the point of that?

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-21-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't think booing when the other team is shooting free throws is taking the low road. Isn't that just another way of cheering on your own team?

webspinnre
12-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Are you saying that we lose the "That Ref ducks" chant whenever a bad call is made?

I'd be in 100% favor of getting rid of this, and the BS chants. Pretty classless.

RenoZag
12-21-2011, 09:27 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/3/30/128829208705621376.jpg

U Zig, I Zag
12-21-2011, 09:32 AM
What is in my post that deserves the "harrumph"? My opinions may be obsolete, but thats the way I was brought up, and good manners never go out of style?, OR DO THEY ?

You know what's always in style? Punctuation!

:p

I hear you, HBZ - but let's let the kids chant the dirty stuff and let's all stand for Air Force on Thursday.

gamagin
12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Is this thread a joke? Somebody please tell me this thread is a joke.

What exactly happened last night that was classless?

In what universe do home fans cheer for the away team? In what universe is booing the opposition classless? In what universe do fans NOT get on the refs for bad calls?

this lament has no subject !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY