PDA

View Full Version : The Rotation is set

titopoet
12-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Looks like the rotation is set with the only question left being the integration of Edi. I say this not out of opinion but observation. In fact, I would love to see Hoff have more of a roll, but it looks like the rotation is:

1 Pangos>Stockton
2 Bell>Carter>Pangos
3 Hart>Edi>Carter>(Bell when playing small ball)
4 Harris>Dower
5 Sacre>Dower

The rest of the guys playing situational and spot minutes. I think Few learn from having the rotation up in the air, especially the 1 and 3 spot, until late into last season.

The above line rotation is how he played the last two games. Also, taking out Edi, this has been the rotation since WSU, with some inserting of Hoff and Spangler, but mostly in situational minutes.

The advantages of haing a set rotation is that you can have the most reps in practice with the starters as a unit. Also, every guy knowing their role on the team. Again, this is not my opinion but what I have observed. Injury and attitude could force a change, but barring this, the rotation for the remaiander of the season looks like the one above.

ZagsGoZags
12-21-2011, 03:59 AM
For the sake of our team this year,
I hope Spangler gets put in a lot as replacement for Harris

For the sake of our team next year and beyond,
same hope

jazzdelmar
12-21-2011, 04:00 AM
sure looks like, tito. if anything rotation will tighten even more when edi gets his game legs and bell starts to take more shots. losers will be carter and spangler. they already are. dower's renaissance hurts the latter. don't see any role of consequence for the euros.

OK-ZagFan
12-21-2011, 04:46 AM
sure looks like, tito. if anything rotation will tighten even more when edi gets his game legs and bell starts to take more shots. losers will be carter and spangler. they already are. dower's renaissance hurts the latter. don't see any role of consequence for the euros.

I just hope Spangler hangs in there and doesn't give up.

jazzdelmar
12-21-2011, 04:56 AM
I just hope Spangler hangs in there and doesn't give up.

ok, the wcc games may offer opportunity for spangs. a few blowouts seem likely. hate to lose him.

zagfan24
12-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Few deserves credit for going with the 2 freshman guards this early and letting them learn on the job. There were several on here who predicted that he would be rigid with his starting lineup, but I think he's done an outstanding job of putting different looks on the floor when needed. That said, Few also seems to be using the platoon rotation system more this year, which I think is helping the "2nd unit" play together more effectively.

I agree that I don't want to see Spangler (or Monninghoff) completely disappear. Spot minutes when we need rebounding (or three point shooting) will hopefully be available. Still, Ryan is a true freshman and if he has patience, his time will surely come.

McZag
12-21-2011, 06:13 AM
For the sake of our team this year,
I hope Spangler gets put in a lot as replacement for Harris

For the sake of our team next year and beyond,
same hope

I could see Spangler getting serious minutes in home games during league play. By the time March rolls around we will likely be much deeper than we are right now, in typical Few fashion.

CarolinaZagFan
12-21-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't recall Carter playing in the second half. Did I just miss it?

zaguarxj
12-21-2011, 06:18 AM
The last three games, Pangos played 31, 29 & 35 minutes. Bell played 37, 32 & 33 minutes. Those two players led the team in minutes all 3 games except Arizona, when Elias had the most minutes. How many of us here would have predicted that 2 true freshmen would be playing the bulk of the backcourt minutes at this point in the season?

jazzdelmar
12-21-2011, 06:28 AM
The last three games, Pangos played 31, 29 & 35 minutes. Bell played 37, 32 & 33 minutes. Those two players led the team in minutes all 3 games except Arizona, when Elias had the most minutes. How many of us here would have predicted that 2 true freshmen would be playing the bulk of the backcourt minutes at this point in the season?

me. at least it was my most fervent wish. thank you, santa. now i'd like to see bell look to shoot more and for pangos and someone to work a simple pick n roll...i know, i want the world for xmas.

zaguarxj
12-21-2011, 06:31 AM
I don't recall Carter playing in the second half. Did I just miss it?

I had to look at the box-score. Carter played 3 minutes. Ouch.

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 06:33 AM
I think the rotation is set, but only for the next 24 hours or so. HAHA.

With Few, you never know. He is so good at mixing and matching and improving this team over the course of the season. Look at last season. At this point, Marquise was almost a non-factor, but by the end of the year, he was arguably our most important player.

Who knows, in 2 months, we may be talking about Guy as one of the most important starters on this team.

I think if we check back in 60 days, it could be a whole new rotation. Wouldn't surprise me!

ZagMan in Philly
12-21-2011, 06:35 AM
me. at least it was my most fervent wish. thank you, santa. now i'd like to see bell look to shoot more and for pangos and someone to work a simple pick n roll...i know, i want the world for xmas.

Deservedly so.
Throw Stockton in the mix, and we have a very nice backourt tandem.
I can see Pangos/Stockton to Dower or Harris for pick n roll. It will come.

jazzdelmar
12-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Deservedly so.
Throw Stockton in the mix, and we have a very nice backourt tandem.
I can see Pangos/Stockton to Dower or Harris for pick n roll. It will come.

happy holidays, phil. looks like ur iggles will contend yet. are u airing the air force game? seems confusing here.

ZagMan in Philly
12-21-2011, 06:50 AM
happy holidays, phil. looks like ur iggles will contend yet. are u airing the air force game? seems confusing here.

Happy Holidays to you too.

I will stream the Airforce game if and when it is being shown on my Directv..i hope it will be Live instead of taped delay. Just log in at 9pm EASTERN tomorrow and hope for the best.

The wingless iggles have as small a chance to make the playoffs as the chargeless chargers. Funny, most people in philly wanted the eagles to lose out so they can see Reid fired.

hooter73
12-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I really hope to see Spangler, Keita and Hoff a lot during WCC play at least against the bottom teams. Only way we dont see yet another transfer IMO... and not from Spangler. If they are OK playing the waiting game I think there will be playing time in the next two years but that is a lot to ask for.

HillBillyZag
12-21-2011, 07:50 AM
With the comments Tommy Lloyd made about Spanglers play?, I would guess he is pretty highly regarded,and its obvious they he can rebound with any of the starters. Therefore I assume that they feel the rebounding
by the starters and their backups is sufficient and that Edi is presently more advanced on offense and that right now they feel the need is for balanced scoring off the bench? I imagine that Spangler knows his time to shine will come, I just hope that he has the patience to wait for it?

hooter73
12-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Oh I dont worry about Spangler at all. He knows the ropes with KO's redshirt. He is learning this year, playing back up next year and its his to lose after that. Harris staying or leaving may adjust that a little but either way he is playing and sees more time to come. Cant say the same for the Euros.

titopoet
12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
With the comments Tommy Lloyd made about Spanglers play?, I would guess he is pretty highly regarded,and its obvious they he can rebound with any of the starters. Therefore I assume that they feel the rebounding
by the starters and their backups is sufficient and that Edi is presently more advanced on offense and that right now they feel the need is for balanced scoring off the bench? I imagine that Spangler knows his time to shine will come, I just hope that he has the patience to wait for it?

Edi is a 3 and is currently backing up Hart. He could move up, I think this is the biggest question about the rotation. Spangler is a 4 and is behind Harris and Dower. The rest is pretty set. Few in the last few games already set lineups using similar sets for each (double high post when Dower and Harris in).

webspinnre
12-21-2011, 08:11 AM
My guess on the rotations is that it'll depend on what is needed on any given day. If there's a game we need the size/strength and rebounding, that'll be Spangler's time to shine (as opposed to Sam's offense).

titopoet
12-21-2011, 08:14 AM
With Few, you never know. He is so good at mixing and matching and improving this team over the course of the season. Look at last season. At this point, Marquise was almost a non-factor, but by the end of the year, he was arguably our most important player.

Who knows, in 2 months, we may be talking about Guy as one of the most important starters on this team.

Last year's experience is why I think he has made the rotation more solid this year, though this is speculation on my part. I only notice he is using the same lineups about the same time in the game. Also, I think Edi is the remaining question mark who can possible push into the starting line up or more PT. The others, will look similar to now 30 minutes for Pangos 20 min for Stockton etc. ...

gamagin
12-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Edi is a 3 and is currently backing up Hart. He could move up, I think this is the biggest question about the rotation. Spangler is a 4 and is behind Harris and Dower. The rest is pretty set. Few in the last few games already set lineups using similar sets for each (double high post when Dower and Harris in).

RSp giving RS a blow. He has needed it with the faster game evolving. Plus, I think RSp's a better finisher around the basket, certainly than RS or EH were last night on numerous occasions. He's needed there and he'll continue to be needed there, imo.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-21-2011, 08:18 AM
ok, the wcc games may offer opportunity for spangs. a few blowouts seem likely. hate to lose him.

I don't think we'll lose Spangler. We tend to lose players who aren't playing and realistically won't get more playing time in the future. Spangler is a player who can look around and see a bigger role for himself over the next few years. He's a freshman playing center behind one of the best true big men in the country. He knows that his minutes will go up as he gains experience and as the upperclassmen graduate.

When it comes to likely transfers, I'd be far more worried about sophomores who are sitting on the bench and watching freshmen play the bulk of the minutes at their respective positions.

roxdoc
12-21-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't think of Spangler in the same category as the M & M boys. I definitely think that Ryan should be in the above rotation as a backup to Harris. I'm not very comfortable with Sacre and Dower on the floor at the same time. In fact Spangler has been the backup except for the last game. I think Ryan has done a good job considering he is a freshman on a learning curve. The problem is that Harris is playing so well right now. However circumstances could change with an injury (heaven forbid) and we would really need Ryan. Of course we will really need him in the future.

All this inuendo that Spangler will decide to leave if doesn't play big minutes in every game is rediculous. Good grief! He's a freshman and he is going to be a starter some day.

zagzilla
12-21-2011, 08:19 AM
"I just hope Spangler hangs in there and doesn't give up."?! Really?

He's a true frosh on an top tier program. He knows his time is coming. He wasn't a burger boy with hoop dreams who is gonna pout if he isn't "gettin' his" 10 games into his freshman season.

He had virtually no high level coaching coming in. His job is to watch and learn and take advantage of the minutes he gets. He is going to be terrific in the future.

OKZF-I know you see the world through Spangler-colored lenses but this is how it goes for most freshmen. Bell and Pangos are truly the exceptions.
Just pray we don't NEED him too soon 'cause that would mean injury or something bad.

The Euros have to be getting frustrated though, we'll see. I prefer a tighter rotation with more defined roles and Few apparently does too with this group.

ZZ

OK-ZagFan
12-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't think of Spangler in the same category as the M & M boys. I definitely think that Ryan should be in the above rotation as a backup to Harris. I'm not very comfortable with Sacre and Dower on the floor at the same time. In fact Spangler has been the backup except for the last game. I think Ryan has done a good job considering he is a freshman on a learning curve. The problem is that Harris is playing so well right now. However circumstances could change with an injury (heaven forbid) and we would really need Ryan. Of course we will really need him in the future.

All this inuendo that Spangler will decide to leave if doesn't play big minutes in every game is rediculous. Good grief! He's a freshman and he is going to be a starter some day.

I guess I need to clear some things up. I did not say anything about Spangler leaving or playing big minutes. All I said was I hoped he hung in there, because anyone that is normal would be discouraged not getting to see the court and I don't think if I were a coach I would want a player that is satisfied riding the pine.

DixieZag
12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
I think we would have seen Spangler more last night if the opponent were not Butler - the team that Few described as running the "tightest sets, screens etc." in the country, making it so hard to guard them. Spangler's only weakness is getting lost defensively and so that was going to be an issue against Butler.

Spangler got some quality minutes against Arizona, I would be willing to bet that he sees some more tomorrow night, a game 48 hrs after a hard fought victory where Harris/Dower played a ton of minutes and worked their tales off. In this sense it is a little like league play in that quick turn arounds make for some gassed guys in the second games.

Zag79
12-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm not concerned about Spangler as much as I am Carter. Ryan has a lot of time to get integrated into the system, him and Olynyk will be a force I. The years ahead. My concern is Carters lack of playing time. He hasn't played his best, but by no means is three minutes enough time to get back into a groove. I understand the youngsters are balling, but I worry about hitting the wall with as many minutes as they are playing. More Stockton and Carter now will go a long way as the long season gets deeper, and can only make the team that much better.

bballbeachbum
12-21-2011, 09:37 AM

good call on this one, jazz.

I recall Kevin working the pick n roll once this year all the way to the rim, a game or two after the 9 3's game; Sam's a good guy to run it with, like DS has with him. And Few's hook with Marquise last night was quick. Can't help but think he still has winning games in him to contribute, just because he's been there done that, but no need to wait for it to show says KP, GBJ, DS, Few...and you :)

GO ZAGS!!!

jazzdelmar
12-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not concerned about Spangler as much as I am Carter. Ryan has a lot of time to get integrated into the system, him and Olynyk will be a force I. The years ahead. My concern is Carters lack of playing time. He hasn't played his best, but by no means is three minutes enough time to get back into a groove. I understand the youngsters are balling, but I worry about hitting the wall with as many minutes as they are playing. More Stockton and Carter now will go a long way as the long season gets deeper, and can only make the team that much better.

imo, he's gotten as much if not more opportunity than he's earned or deserved. i think last year's carter was an illusion. he looked good by comparison. in any case, it's a tough game.

bballbeachbum
12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
imo, he's gotten as much if not more opportunity than he's earned or deserved. i think last year's carter was an illusion. he looked good by comparison. in any case, it's a tough game.

jazz, illusion? come on man, it's all on film. Got to go with Zag79 here. It is a tough game, so we need all hands on deck. If/when Marquise gets going again, something like last year's illusions, this team jumps up another level, again, as a team. no?

Zig-Zag
12-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Exactly, Remember all disscusion on Kelly red shirting, looks pretty brilliant now. Spangler is happy understand his role Kelly would not be very happy getting liminted mins. Team chemistery is great. Coaches are looking a smarter. Amazing what winning does!!!

JPtheBeasta
12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
The biggest difference between the Carter of this year and last year is shots that have and have not fallen. If I read Jazz right, I generally agree with him that relative to last year he was better than most options, but such is not the case this year. I'm not ready to call him fool's gold or anything, but he doesn't shine as much when compared to these freshman gems we have.

hooter73
12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Agree that if the real Carter returns and our young guards and all big men are still playing like they have the last couple games we are on a brand new level.

The Juco's both are linchpins in my mind.

jazzdelmar
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
jazz, illusion? come on man, it's all on film. Got to go with Zag79 here. It is a tough game, so we need all hands on deck. If/when Marquise gets going again, something like last year's illusions, this team jumps up another level, again, as a team. no?

calm down, bbb. figure of speech, exaggeration for effect, new york attitude...call it what u wish. sure id love carter 2.0 but, again, compared to what we were getting he was a super. i dont nec agree gu needs him this year, surely not as much as last. kids dont progress/regress in a straight line. it happens.

bballbeachbum
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
calm down, bbb. figure of speech, exaggeration for effect, new york attitude...call it what u wish. sure id love carter 2.0 but, again, compared to what we were getting he was a super. i dont nec agree gu needs him this year, surely not as much as last. kids dont progress/regress in a straight line. it happens.

all calm here jazz. I like New Yorkers, do lots of business with them :)

I hear you. Marquise got caught looking over his shoulder as everyone went on by. Maybe he has lost it, his game...poof! Maybe not.

ZagsAddictionPrescription
12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I love that we are working on a true starting rotation. It has been one thing that historically, Gonzaga has not had. Instead they used their line-up to "match" up better with their opponents. That is great if the teams are clearly better. But by doing that, we play our opponents games instead of defining our own. Zags are working on their identity and whenever they find it, opponents will need to match us not the other way around. The more the CORE (starting 5) play together the better they will be.

Currently:
1 Pangos>Stockton
2 Bell>Carter>Pangos
3 Hart>Edi>Carter>(Bell when playing small ball)
4 Harris>Dower
5 Sacre>Dower

There is currently another post discussing the current roster... I respect Few, but its kind of fun to debate what each person would do in his situation if they were to draw up the best line for Gonzaga and explain why.

If I Were Mark Few:
Starting Backup Third
PG: Pangos 6'1" 180 PG: Stockton (says 5'11" realistically 5'9") 165
SG: Bell 6'0" 205 SG: Pangos (when Bell is out)
SF: L Edi 6'6" 220 SF: Spangler 6'8" 230
PF: Harris 6'7" 240 PF: Dower 6'9" 250
C: Sacre 7'0" 260 C: Dower 6'9" 250

Explanation:
So basically, I feel the same about the Zags as I do about the Hawks. Bigger is not always better, but if the big is as good as the small, I play big.

Point Guards: self-explanatory. No one else would play point.

SG: Bell starting hands down. When he needs a break, Stockton slides in, Pangos slides over. Carter unfortunately is playing in a slump and I would rather our young guys who will be here in 2 years get the reps in right now for March and the future.

SF: My vote is always to have a small forward instead of 3 guards ESPECIALLY when your SF's can guard them. It creates a mismatch both offensively (shoot over guards) defensively (block shots/bump off point) and rebound advantage. Therefore Edi all the way. Already playing as well as Hart. Then Spangler who at 6'8" will need to transform from a 4/5 to a small forward if he wants to make it in the NBA so learn now. Also great finisher and better shot then Hart which is why he is 2nd.

PF: Harris is a beast. Dower and Spangler fill in this role depending on whether Sacre is on the floor.

Center: Sacre FTW! Dower def should crash under boards because he is the next largest manchild on our team.

In conclusion: I would go big because our bigger players are better. But I also like board crashing guys to free up our shooters! In the set that I would play non-stop I would bank on other teams forcing themselves to match against a starting line of 6'1, 6'0, 6'6, 6'7, 7'0 and I dont think many can. Furthermore, the more reps these 8 guys get, the better our team is and will be. Everyone else would slide into last minute categories. As in desperate so go out there and play.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Happy Holidays to you too.

Funny, most people in philly wanted the eagles to lose out so they can see Reid fired.

That just shows how stupid Philly sports fans are. I'm not including you in that, it's just sad how Reid has always been on the hot seat even though he has made the NFC Championship game in 50% of his seasons in Philly (I believe it's 6 for 12).

sonuvazag
12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Zags are working on their identity and whenever they find it, opponents will need to match us not the other way around. The more the CORE (starting 5) play together the better they will be.

I agree and have said similar statements on this board. I just don't agree with the notions that we cannot play certain players or rotations due to the difficulty matching up with the opposition WITHOUT considering the difficulty that same player or rotation can cause.

zag67
12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
yes, like everyone else I have seen that Carter's midrange and beyond shot is not falling. But his defense has been good and solid. Also if you look at his shots they are right on line (short or long) and not that far off. When we get into league and we have some more playing time to work with, having him improve and ready for March would be a great asset. My logic is sometimes we will have multiple players not making shots, but Carter could come in and he might be the spark we need to win that game. Few is doing a great job of getting players ready for league and then later on the tournament.

ZagMan in Philly
12-21-2011, 02:38 PM
That just shows how stupid Philly sports fans are. I'm not including you in that, it's just sad how Reid has always been on the hot seat even though he has made the NFC Championship game in 50% of his seasons in Philly (I believe it's 6 for 12).

Most eagles fans are just nuts, i grew up followed the Seahawks, moved here in the late 80's from Seattle, and so not so much into the Eagles. I actually rooted for the Seahawks when they played the Eagles a few weeks ago.
They want Reid out because they want to win the Superbowl so bad, and they don't think he can get them there, after so many years being here. It is especially hard when the in state Steelers have 6 SB trophies.
I do believe Reid will be here until his contract runs out, which is 2 more years. And if they don't have a SB by then..then management will probably make a change.

Baseline
12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I think Carter has had plenty of time to get into the game, especially considering all his playing time last year. I think, for whatever reason, Carter has played himself out of the rotation.
My guess Keita will be gone next year and maybe the Hoff.
Don't know where Spangler's head is at, but I'm betting he has second thoughts. He is to good to see such little playing time.

MickMick
12-21-2011, 04:34 PM

Who?

The Newcomers are the strength of this team.

When Few gets the combination of Pangos, Bell, and Edie "clicking", watch out!

BigTymeONIONS
12-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I look for Guy to begin to get more minutes, most likely at the expense of Mike Hart. It's a necessary change, IMO. Yes, Hart gets a few offensive rebounds per game and hustles more than anyone but it's 5 on 4 on offense. Butler doubled the post every time with whoever was guarding Hart and essentially left him open on the perimeter which is the reason he can get so many offensive rebounds. When no one is around to box you out it becomes much easier to get straight to the boards.

Don't get me wrong, Hart is the ULTIMATE team player, but at this point Guy is just as good at what they do and has far more potential, especially offensively.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Don't know where Spangler's head is at, but I'm betting he has second thoughts.

Disagree. I doubt if Ryan thought he was going to be getting many minutes this season considering there were four solid big men on the roster, including two upperclassmen, when he signed his LOI. And no reason to think Ryan's time won't come.

ZagLawGrad
12-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Basketball is a game of ups and downs.

Just thought I'd drop that nugget in here, FWIW.

JIMMYMAC
12-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I am really lost on those that think Spangler would be getting down because of his playing time. He's a freshman focryinoutloud...and this is coming from a big Spang fan. Yes, our frosh guards are starting but that's because we had holes coming in and our previous point transferred. Guard play was wide open but our bigs is another story, hence Olynyk redshirting. I gotta believe Ryan knows what he stands to inherit next year and the years after that. Elias has a lot of gas in his tank and Dower is the natural replacement for Sacre coming off the bench. Dower is a RS soph so it's not a good comparison as far as minutes and experience go. I really don't think there is anything to read into here.

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Don't know where Spangler's head is at, but I'm betting he has second thoughts. He is to good to see such little playing time.

No way. I promise you, Spangler did not come in here expecting to get major minutes when the zags already had Sacre, Dower, and KO. He is getting a little over 6mpg at the moment (and that WILL go up). Sacre average 9mpg as a freshman. I'd be willing to bet $14 that Spangler will be averaging at least 9 by the end of WCC play.

Everybody seems to be getting worked up about players lack of playing time lately. Whatever happened to developing your skills over a 4 year period? Spangler COULD have gone to a smaller school, started right away, and had a nice little career playing other small schools, mixed in with the occasional stompage when his school gets scheduled against someone like Gonzaga or even worse. OR..he could be at GU, where he may have to sit for a year or year and a half while he develops, and then he can play for America's Team, showcased on ESPN every other night, and play in the NCAA tourney a few times. if Ryan is re-thinking his decision, then.....meh

JPtheBeasta
12-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Disagree. I doubt if Ryan thought he was going to be getting many minutes this season considering there were four solid big men on the roster, including two upperclassmen, when he signed his LOI. And no reason to think Ryan's time won't come.

A big +1, especially considering the two upperclassmen get NBA talk. He will likely be a huge piece to the GU puzzle next year and I have to think he knows it.

Ekrub
12-22-2011, 12:47 AM
A big +1, especially considering the two upperclassmen get NBA talk. He will likely be a huge piece to the GU puzzle next year and I have to think he knows it.

This. Both Sacre and Harris have NBA potential, and who knows... Kelly and Dower might as well. No way he could expect to play major minutes this year.

OK-ZagFan
12-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Spangler COULD have gone to a smaller school, started right away, and had a nice little career playing other small schools, mixed in with the occasional stompage when his school gets scheduled against someone like Gonzaga or even worse. OR..he could be at GU, where he may have to sit for a year or year and a half while he develops, and then he can play for America's Team, showcased on ESPN every other night, and play in the NCAA tourney a few times. if Ryan is re-thinking his decision, then.....meh

I don't know if you kept up with his recruiting, but he had alot of offers and they weren't small schools, actually the majority were larger schools than Gonzaga. We, here in Oklahoma, think he chose a great school in Gonzaga, but don't get confused and think all that was interested in him were small colleges.

webspinnre
12-22-2011, 07:51 AM
You're misreading the point. The point is that if all Spangler cared about was playing right away, he could've chosen a smaller school, rather than a school like GU where there were guys ahead of him in the rotation. Spangler's a smart guy, he knows that wiith Sacre and Harris taking the lion's share of the minutes that there just aren't a ton for him as a true freshman.

kramzag
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
8 man rotation for now:

Back Court/Ball handlers: Pangos, Bell, Stock
Wings: Hart, Edi

Spot Minutes+Injuries: Marquise, Spangler, Hoff

Marquise started slow last year, maybe that's what's happening again. Two weeks ago, people on the boards were calling for Sam to be cut. Now he's groovin'. Marquise is still the guy that was WCC tourney MVP and put up 24/6/6/2 against St. John's in the first round of the NCAAs last year. He'll be fine.

And Hart's contribution can't be undervalued. Some say we're playing 4 on 5 on offense, but I'd bet 90% of teams have a starter that's weak on O and makes up for it elsewhere. Basketball is a two-way sport. No one says we're playing 4 on 5 when we have a weak defender in. Also Hart is our 3rd leading rebounder. E (8.4 rebs) then Rob (7.1) then Mike (4.8). He averages 0.25 rebs/min compared to Rob at 0.26 rebs/min. When the announcers have their cheesy lines about Hart, like "little stuff/energy plays/glue guy," they're right and it makes a difference.