PDA

View Full Version : About the Air Force game....

CDC84
12-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Air Force is sitting at 6-2 right now. They could easily be 8-0. They lost their two games by a combined 5 points. Granted, their sked hasn't been that challenging, but they are winning. They run a Princeton Style offense which is really hard to prepare for on short notice and can keep them in games they have no business being in. The Zags need to be very disciplined on defense.

They better not come out sleepwalking.

El Zag
12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
N.Trans

zagzilla
12-21-2011, 07:59 AM
You can expect AFA to play disciplined ball but if we run our stuff we'll be fine. This would be a great game to get Rob back on track as they are undersized across the front line. You don't see too many 7 foot fighter pilots, you know.

This is a game where we can feed the post and even if they know its coming they won't have much to say about it.

They do have a dangerous guard named Lyons who is scoring over 18ppg and is accurate shooting over 50% as a guard. We will need to respect that and not fall into our bad habits on the perimeter.

AFA was terrible a couple of years ago but appears to be rising. Nice to have a classy program like this come for a visit tomorrow.

Go Zags

ZZ

Radbooks
12-21-2011, 10:19 AM
You can expect AFA to play disciplined ball but if we run our stuff we'll be fine. This would be a great game to get Rob back on track as they are undersized across the front line. You don't see too many 7 foot fighter pilots, you know.

No 7 footer, however they do have a 6'10 guy who averages 9 points and 6 rebounds a game. But I doubt Rob or Sam will have too much trouble with him... not after some of the other guys they've played against!

McZag
12-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Air Force is sitting at 6-2 right now. They could easily be 8-0. They lost their two games by a combined 5 points. Granted, their sked hasn't been that challenging, but they are winning. They run a Princeton Style offense which is really hard to prepare for on short notice and can keep them in games they have no business being in. The Zags need to be very disciplined on defense.

They better not come out sleepwalking.

Nice analysis CDC. This is definately an opportunity for a let down. Butler is the biggest name we play this week but AF is by far the better team. A slow start and weak defensive effort will result in a loss. After the Arizona game, this Dec. game gave me the most concern. I did not expect to beat IL, MSU or X but I though the AZ, BUT, and AF games were winnable if we did not have a let down and started strong.

One more quality win to get in Dec.

U Zig, I Zag
12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I think this would be more of a trap game if the Butler game would have came down to the wire and had been a last second Zag win.

You can never sit on your hands, but I am not too worried about AF. I just hope we see good things from our guys. I wish MM and Keita got some PT.

* we will lose 1 over the summer, certainly.

ZagsGoZags
12-22-2011, 12:23 AM
McZag said: "Butler is the biggest name we play this week but AF is by far the better team."

CBS ranks Air Force 242 in nation, Butler may drop to 180 or so, but is presently 152.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index2

I am not sure I would say they are far better than Butler

they are ahead of Army and Navy, however

RenoZag
12-22-2011, 07:13 AM
You can never sit on your hands

Indeed. Just ask LMU and SCU. . .

HillBillyZag
12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Reno is right on, this is a winnable game if our kids play as hard on both ends of the court as the Falcons ? The Service Academy kids are some of our brightest and best! As I've said before; let's give them a standing ovation when they take the floor and proceed to trounce them soundly!

McZag
12-22-2011, 10:11 AM
McZag said: "Butler is the biggest name we play this week but AF is by far the better team."

CBS ranks Air Force 242 in nation, Butler may drop to 180 or so, but is presently 152.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index2

I am not sure I would say they are far better than Butler

they are ahead of Army and Navy, however

Good call ZGZ. Thanks for checking the RPI. I was basing my take on AF record, past AF teams three point percentage and their ability to play the dark horse in recent years. Just being cautious with a couple days of prep.

Reborn
12-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Reno is right on, this is a winnable game if our kids play as hard on both ends of the court as the Falcons ? The Service Academy kids are some of our brightest and best! As I've said before; let's give them a standing ovation when they take the floor and proceed to trounce them soundly!

I can not see the Zags not playing hard in this game. They know what's at stake. The Zags love to win and they will give 100% effort. I have no doubt about that. Will it be a tough game? Of course. Every team the Zags play will most likely play their best game of the year against Gonzaga. Do the guys like being the target of every team they play? Of course they do. That's what they came to GU for. I think these guys like being really tough.

ltcpilot
12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi all, took awhile to get access on the forum but wanted to stop, say hello and MERRY CHRISTMAS. Looking for a very good game tonight with no injuries and I hope my Falcons surprise you alittle (actually a lot!). You'll find a team that will play hard for 40minutes or more and give you 100% on the court. An experienced team with the top 6 but freshmen/sophomores below that (although our top freshmen are coming out of the Air Force Acdemy Prep school which plays a very junior JC schedule).

My Dad made the game but I was unable due to work schedule...if you see an older gentleman in blue stop and say hi (it was his birthday yesterday 78 big ones!).

Without totally boring you, here's the link to our forum thread on the game (no wait for posting if you desire) with news links stats and more. http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=238&f=1550&t=8465570

One individual posted a nice summary of what AF should expect or be concerned with and I posted my thoughts, I've pasted them below for those interested.

Thanks to those that have given a shout out to the military....I'm retired and it is very much appreciated.

GO FALCONS

One view of the game:
This is AF's toughest test in our otherwise weak OOC schedule. Gonzaga, as per usual, is a decent team and is playing a very competitive OOC schedule to make up for their relatively weak in conference schedule (which looks better these days due to St. Mary's consistently strong program and the addition of BYU). Gonzaga has been surging with wins over Arizona and Butler. Butler doesn't appear to be that strong but still a good program. They fell out of the rankings with losses to Mighigan St and Illinois, both very athletic teams who beat them with strong play from their bigs. Green from MSU was on fire and put his team on his shoulders. Illinois won by denying the 3PT shot and forcing jumpers. Both teams kept 7 footer Sacre in check.

Of note, Gonzaga destroyed Notre Dame. ND looks terrible pretty bad this year, but they generally are a good program. Elias Harris is make or break guy for AF. I don't think we have anyone at the forward position who will be able to stop him; he was on fire vs Arizona and scored 19 versus Butler on Tuesday. Finding a way to slow him down will be the single biggest factor on Thursday. Perhaps Williams (from AF) will see significant minutes? Pangos and Stockton (John's kid) are dangerous behind the 3PT line. Stockton comes off the bench but gets more minutes than 2 of the starters. Sacre will also be a problem at 7 feet. He's a 5th year and fairly coherent down low. The big difference is Gonzaga has been playing at a different level than Air Force- playing schools with far better talent at faster speeds. Will AF be able to play at a high level?

For AF to compete, they will need to play nearly a perfect game. Considerations:

Who can slow down Harris, if anyone?
Can AF compete on the boards with the tall and athletic Bulldogs?
Are our guards athletic enough to deny penetration and still be able to get a hand in Stockton/Pangos/Harris' face?
Will AF look slow against a team that's practically in mid-season form?
Will Gonzaga overlook AF? They have been known, in the past, to play down to teams they are better than. I think this team is less susceptible to that than others.

My Thoughts on the game

Who can slow down Harris, if anyone? I look at what AF has done so far on defense and see the potential. It's not going to be someone, it's going to be the matchup zone 'if' we can play it like I've seen it used this year the majority of times. Our loses have not been as much due to defense but the ability to sustain on offense. I think Fitzgerald and Williams, if we go man, will have the task.

Can AF compete on the boards with the tall and athletic Bulldogs? They are big. Not only Sacre at 7'/260#, but Harris is 240# and a load and Dower at 248#. Again, it cannot be 'can we go one v one with one of us vs their bigs, it has to be the double down in the defense. But when AF is on offense these big's must defend for 35 seconds of shot clock for 40mins of the game. This will be a challenge for them. BTW-Don't be surprised to see more Chase Kammerer in the game who I believe is closer to 230# in size.

Are our guards athletic enough to deny penetration and still be able to get a hand in Stockton/Pangos/Harris' face? It all depends on how the matchup zone works, and I believe the increased athleticismm on this team (read team speed) allows us to react better and get out quicker). I think we can. The mor important question is wether Gonzaga will work the outside or simply plan to bang the lane against the smaller Falcons.

Will AF look slow against a team that's practically in mid-season form? No. Will Gonzaga look slow playing 35seconds of defense a pocession? Maybe.

Will Gonzaga overlook AF? Trap game for them plus they have only one day rest after the Butler game and one day for the players to prepare for Air Force and our system of play. Their coaches have had the plan ready with their scout coach but player were not thinking AF rather thinking Butler. AF players (I'm sure) watched the Butler game last night and have a very good idea what they are facing while Gonzaga just know that we resently beat UMES plus game film.

My Add on Question: Can Air Force hit outside the arc? If AF 'can' hit the 3ball and do it at a consistent 33-37% rate then we win this game. It will force the Zag's out and the inside game will make them pay.

primal23
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Thank you for your service! Best of luck with every other game of the year! Just not this one lol

zag buddy
12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome aboard ltcpilot. Very nice post. My number AF1974xxxx. Isn't it funny after 40+ years I still remember it. Other than tonight good luck. Don't sleep on Gary Bell, he is big on offense and defense.

Kiddwell
12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi all, took awhile to get access on the forum but wanted to stop, say hello and MERRY CHRISTMAS. Looking for a very good game tonight with no injuries and I hope my Falcons surprise you alittle (actually a lot!). You'll find a team that will play hard for 40minutes or more and give you 100% on the court. An experienced team with the top 6 but freshmen/sophomores below that (although our top freshmen are coming out of the Air Force Acdemy Prep school which plays a very junior JC schedule).

My Dad made the game but I was unable due to work schedule...if you see an older gentleman in blue stop and say hi (it was his birthday yesterday 78 big ones!).

Without totally boring you, here's the link to our forum thread on the game (no wait for posting if you desire) with news links stats and more. http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=238&f=1550&t=8465570

One individual posted a nice summary of what AF should expect or be concerned with and I posted my thoughts, I've pasted them below for those interested.

Thanks to those that have given a shout out to the military....I'm retired and it is very much appreciated.

GO FALCONS

One view of the game:
This is AF's toughest test in our otherwise weak OOC schedule. Gonzaga, as per usual, is a decent team and is playing a very competitive OOC schedule to make up for their relatively weak in conference schedule (which looks better these days due to St. Mary's consistently strong program and the addition of BYU). Gonzaga has been surging with wins over Arizona and Butler. Butler doesn't appear to be that strong but still a good program. They fell out of the rankings with losses to Mighigan St and Illinois, both very athletic teams who beat them with strong play from their bigs. Green from MSU was on fire and put his team on his shoulders. Illinois won by denying the 3PT shot and forcing jumpers. Both teams kept 7 footer Sacre in check.

Of note, Gonzaga destroyed Notre Dame. ND looks terrible pretty bad this year, but they generally are a good program. Elias Harris is make or break guy for AF. I don't think we have anyone at the forward position who will be able to stop him; he was on fire vs Arizona and scored 19 versus Butler on Tuesday. Finding a way to slow him down will be the single biggest factor on Thursday. Perhaps Williams (from AF) will see significant minutes? Pangos and Stockton (John's kid) are dangerous behind the 3PT line. Stockton comes off the bench but gets more minutes than 2 of the starters. Sacre will also be a problem at 7 feet. He's a 5th year and fairly coherent down low. The big difference is Gonzaga has been playing at a different level than Air Force- playing schools with far better talent at faster speeds. Will AF be able to play at a high level?

For AF to compete, they will need to play nearly a perfect game. Considerations:

Who can slow down Harris, if anyone?
Can AF compete on the boards with the tall and athletic Bulldogs?
Are our guards athletic enough to deny penetration and still be able to get a hand in Stockton/Pangos/Harris' face?
Will AF look slow against a team that's practically in mid-season form?
Will Gonzaga overlook AF? They have been known, in the past, to play down to teams they are better than. I think this team is less susceptible to that than others.

My Thoughts on the game

Who can slow down Harris, if anyone? I look at what AF has done so far on defense and see the potential. It's not going to be someone, it's going to be the matchup zone 'if' we can play it like I've seen it used this year the majority of times. Our loses have not been as much due to defense but the ability to sustain on offense. I think Fitzgerald and Williams, if we go man, will have the task.

Can AF compete on the boards with the tall and athletic Bulldogs? They are big. Not only Sacre at 7'/260#, but Harris is 240# and a load and Dower at 248#. Again, it cannot be 'can we go one v one with one of us vs their bigs, it has to be the double down in the defense. But when AF is on offense these big's must defend for 35 seconds of shot clock for 40mins of the game. This will be a challenge for them. BTW-Don't be surprised to see more Chase Kammerer in the game who I believe is closer to 230# in size.

Are our guards athletic enough to deny penetration and still be able to get a hand in Stockton/Pangos/Harris' face? It all depends on how the matchup zone works, and I believe the increased athleticismm on this team (read team speed) allows us to react better and get out quicker). I think we can. The mor important question is wether Gonzaga will work the outside or simply plan to bang the lane against the smaller Falcons.

Will AF look slow against a team that's practically in mid-season form? No. Will Gonzaga look slow playing 35seconds of defense a pocession? Maybe.

Will Gonzaga overlook AF? Trap game for them plus they have only one day rest after the Butler game and one day for the players to prepare for Air Force and our system of play. Their coaches have had the plan ready with their scout coach but player were not thinking AF rather thinking Butler. AF players (I'm sure) watched the Butler game last night and have a very good idea what they are facing while Gonzaga just know that we resently beat UMES plus game film.

My Add on Question: Can Air Force hit outside the arc? If AF 'can' hit the 3ball and do it at a consistent 33-37% rate then we win this game. It will force the Zag's out and the inside game will make them pay.

Thanks for the informative post.

Love the Air Force and all the men & women there working to serve our country. God bless and happy holidays! (Well, except for the happiness of beating the Zags.) :)

:]

Kiddwell
12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
You can never sit on your hands

Especially when giving "two thumbs up!" :o

:]

<...owie!...>

gamagin
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
excellent report.

Given what you say, I'm thinking you will be seeing the best of our two platoons. And our 3 guard lineup, too.

This could also be good news for those worthy zags who haven't seen much p.t. so far. I think we can increase our pace and run for 40 minutes with anyone.

This will be a good test for us. I'm excited to see this game.