PDA

View Full Version : Fans...

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Students that were there... bravo... great showing... old farts that took the student sections and all the other old farts I saw on TV... boo... horrible... its like even clapping was torture for you.

U Zig, I Zag
12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I was there, in the student section.

It was so so. I did my standing when nobody else did thing a few times. Really, it just takes a few people trying to get people going.

What I noticed is that if at home we aren't shell shocked then the oldies and regulars seem to stand up at the 'right times'. It might no have shown, but that seemed to happen tonight including from about 2:30 down.

ZagNative
12-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I was watching the game action, not the fans, but it sure sounded good.

04ZagFan
12-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Sheesh. I was there, and I thought we did pretty good...

It's hard to expect the "old farts" to perform like the Kennel Klub.... For the most part, we all want to enjoy the game and pay attention to whats going on, not make the most noise, and scream the whole game.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Every shot of the crowd it looked like they were comatose... regardless of the action.

dnj116
12-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I am only four years removed from Gonzaga, but this is something that all my classmates and I discuss -- the lack of any passion whatsoever from the sitting fans in the MAC. I agree LIZF, and its not just this game. This is a recurring theme. Of course you cannot expect the "old farts" to be jumping up and down like the kennel, but at least ACT like you want the home court advantage to mean something.

I am sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to take some season tickets for a game or two while those fans can work up an appetite for a live game.

Ezag
12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I was there and it sounded good considering a dimished Kennel club from where I was sitting. Not like it was the most exciting game either.

Bulldoggie
12-20-2011, 09:25 PM
I would guess that 1500 of the crowd had the seats usually occupied by students. Most probably seeing their first game in the Kennel. It is not unreasonable that they would not be as vocal as the students or the regular season ticket holders.

sittingon50
12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Relatively speaking, it wasn't too bad LI.

zagademic
12-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Relatively speaking, it wasn't too bad LI.

The crowd tonight was really good considering the students and the band weren't there. I love it when people who do not ordinarily get tickets are focused and loud. I have been to games at this time of year when the crowd was less than inspiring, but tonight was awesome.

Zagpower
12-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Not directly at you LIZF but these threads in general. When do we tire of complaining about Season Ticket Holders? The hard core season ticket holders that are on this board are certainly not the problem.

What is your opinion of John Stockton as a fan? Never yells, never cheers. Some people are just wired differently.

Zagpower
12-21-2011, 06:39 AM
The crowd tonight was really good considering the students and the band weren't there. I love it when people who do not ordinarily get tickets are focused and loud. I have been to games at this time of year when the crowd was less than inspiring, but tonight was awesome.

This. Love it when the general public gets to see games. Lots of new faces and smiles.

bartruff1
12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Gee, adults behaving like adults...

cjm720
12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
For the students not being there, I thought the crowd was darn good.

ZagMan in Philly
12-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Not directly at you LIZF but these threads in general. When do we tire of complaining about Season Ticket Holders? The hard core season ticket holders that are on this board are certainly not the problem.

What is your opinion of John Stockton as a fan? Never yells, never cheers. Some people are just wired differently.

John always has great composure, not sure how he does it, if that was my kid out there running around, I would definitely get into it with some noise :p

Zagdawg
12-21-2011, 07:06 AM
I agree -- He is very composed-- David hits a big 3 or makes a nice play and the camera cuts to John-- no reaction.

BobZag
12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
I thought the oldies did okay. Much appreciation shown by them.

ZagtotheCoeur
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
This was my first game without students, it was a little different but I thought the crowd was pretty good.

gamagin
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
matched the level of intensity of the game. Overall, it was very good, especially since the KC #'s were few and there was no band, only canned music.

Knotsolucky
12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I've been fortunate enough to have been at most home games the past few years and I thought last night's crowd was very good as well. Kudos to us old farts... :)

Reborn
12-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Exactly my thoughts, ZN! And the announcers said that there was alot of energy in the Kennel. Kudos go out to ALL fans who I think helped our team.

Zag79
12-21-2011, 09:41 AM
I've always thought the kennel was terrible without the students save a big game here or there, but last night did seem pretty loud. The crowd was into the game, and I enjoyed the standing o's for big rebounds/buckets/defensive plays. Let's do it again for air force!

ZagNut08
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Gee, adults behaving like adults...

Maybe if they don't want to be loud and roudy they should take up watching golf or tennis...

Bulldog
12-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Seems like the only times the camera shows the crowd is during a timeout, not much to be excited about then.

zagcougmama
12-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Jeez this theme just never seems to go away! Every year I feel like I have to defend my behavior.

We work long hard days and weeks... and pay good money for our season tickets ( and have for many, many years). I'll sit when I want to sit and stand when I want to stand. Just because I choose not to stand and/or jump up and down and scream for 2 hours does not make me less of a fan. In case you haven't noticed...not everyone is physically capable of jumping up and down... some are confined to wheelchairs or use assistive devices to walk...wanna beat those folks up too? Why not? you seem to think you have some inalienable right to do so.

By the way... how many of you are actually even paying for your tickets?

Vanzagger
12-22-2011, 09:19 PM
us old farts picked our spots good tonight. I would like it to be more of a 2 hour mosh pit but I understand why that's not gonna happen.

HillBillyZag
12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Amen! Well stated, ZCMama!

sittingon50
12-23-2011, 06:57 AM
always the bottom line......

"SHOW ME THE MONEY."

primal23
12-23-2011, 07:51 AM
always the bottom line......

"SHOW ME THE MONEY."

As the Dana O'Neil and Eamonn Brennan say, the wine and cheese folk.

zag4life2011
12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
By the way... how many of you are actually even paying for your tickets?

Well, seeing as how mine come with the $45,000 check I (yes, I) make out to Gonzaga for my tuition every year I feel like I have you beat.

As a general response to all, yes, the season ticket holders have the right to stand and cheer and yell when they want to, but I would ask that they not come on this board (as has been done MANY times in the past) and criticize what they call a "dead" or "bored" Kennel Club. I would ask season ticket holders (who take up most of the seats in the Kennel) to first look at how much they cheer in comparison to what they expect from others.

I would also ask that we be honest about who gets to occupy those empty Kennel Club seats during the break. This isn't the general public getting seats. The people in those seats spend $250 a year to be on a list to have the chance to buy those tickets. It likely isn't a dad or mom who randomly decides they want to take their kids to a game one day. They plan for most of the year to try to get tickets to the winter break games and invest a significant amount of money to do so. Only the RMHC and Battle in Seattle have true "general public" tickets available and are considered home games.