• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goshzagit
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

3 questions after a GREAT win.

First and foremost, good win. We needed it. We did it. We made it happen. There were many props to go around and our young guards played really well vs tight defense throughout.

That said, I'm curious...

1. Does Guy Landry play with a limp and why? Is his knee not a 100%? Doesn't look to be, yet still a very good effort tonight.

2. Why no Spangler in the 2nd half when we couldn't rebound anything for a good 12 mins or more? We gave up 10 offensive rebounds in the 2nd half.

3. Sacre with 2 pts. What? He missed several easy lay-ups and seemed to be fading away on all his shots. He chose not to engage on several rebounds as well, especially on defense. Why?

Thanks in advance for your answers. Much needed.
  • gamagin
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GLE had a serious wrap

on a thigh. I imagine he took a knee shot to it, or somesuch, recently. Haven't noticed it before.

Not sure why spang wasn't in there. I agree we could have used him. And his ability to make layups.

Both RS & EH missed some easy bunnies tonight. RS's guy played a really good game and managed not to get called despite a lot of pushing. Even so, RS should have muscled him much more, imo.

Instead, he tried finesse shots and that game was off a bit, too. It's ok. He maybe needed a night when others carried the load. And they did.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• GrizZAG
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2009

Good questions

All good questions....especially # 3.
      Seems RS plays better when he is P'd off at somebody (Samhan comes to mind). Where is that animal of late last year?? His hands seemed to have hardened and slowed or something. I hope he shows up as well as MC, we will need them.
      One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Ezag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Sacre seems to have slowed down. He's not aggressive, not getting to the line hardly at all, and getting out muscled by smaller guys. He has also been getting outplayed by opposing big men lately. I never thought that out of the 3 seniors, Hart would have the most solid game against Butler.

Comment

• zaguarxj
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
          Sacre seems to have slowed down. He's not aggressive, not getting to the line hardly at all, and getting out muscled by smaller guys. He has also been getting outplayed by opposing big men lately. I never thought that out of the 3 seniors, Hart would have the most solid game against Butler.
          Maybe opposing coaches are game-planning against Sacre? Even still, he's been a force defensively. I have no problem with Sacre's playing. It's good to have so many weapons that no one player has to carry the load every night.

Comment

• zag buddy
            Banned
            • Dec 2007

Mike Hart is a red shirt junior

Comment

• zagabond
              Bulldog Fan
              • Feb 2007

Looked to me like Rob consistently worked hard to get open in the lane. However, not many passes to him. The last three games the TOs have been reduced primarily because fewer lazy passes inside. Speculation on my part but my guess is the coaches told players to be more selective on passes to the bigs down low.

Comment

• 04ZagFan
                Banned
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by zagabond View Post
                Looked to me like Rob consistently worked hard to get open in the lane. However, not many passes to him. The last three games the TOs have been reduced primarily because fewer lazy passes inside. Speculation on my part but my guess is the coaches told players to be more selective on passes to the bigs down low.
                +1 exactly my thoughts..

And there have been less touches for Rob, but he has some mental blockage going on... Missing some easy shots, and just isn't playing well... Thank God Sam Dower has stepped up.

Comment

• bigblahla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zaguarxj View Post
                  Maybe opposing coaches are game-planning against Sacre? Even still, he's been a force defensively. I have no problem with Sacre's playing. It's good to have so many weapons that no one player has to carry the load every night.
                  Stevens specifically tried to take Rob away and was effective at it but in doing so it opened up his defense. Remember the drive KP had down the middle to the hoop and scored it was open because they were keying on Rob.

Stevens has respect for Big Rob and game planned accordingly but he didn't have a chance with both KP and E going off and the team playing good "D" for the whole game with few lapses.

Well balanced offense, good defense now let's be consistent.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
                  "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Ezag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
                    Mike Hart is a red shirt junior
                    My bad.. Even better

Comment

• Nevtelen
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                      RS's guy played a really good game and managed not to get called despite a lot of pushing. Even so, RS should have muscled him much more, imo.

Instead, he tried finesse shots and that game was off a bit, too. It's ok. He maybe needed a night when others carried the load. And they did.
                      That to me is the key. Recently, Rob has been getting called early for ticky-tack crap (like when his man flopped early on in the game tonight) and unlike last year, he lets it take him out of his game and goes away from his strength, which is... strength. Not sure the BS ticky-tack calls will get better, so I hope Rob gets better at dealing with them.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2008

Rob only had 4 FG attempts this game and 6 against AZ. I had the pleasure of sitting behind the basket at the BIS and he was working very hard for the ball (it was great watching him battle down there, and it gave me a new perspective on the beating he gives and takes). I put the onus on the rest of the team to get him the ball. That said, I like that we have not been so one-dimensional of late and forcing things down low. Rob will be there when we need him.

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Rob got gassed several times during the second half when the action kept going back and forth with turnovers and missed shots. At one point I thought Few was going to call a TO just to get him a rest. The last two games have featured a lot of crazy guard play...not Rob's kind of game.

The good thing is that Gonzaga's guards are good enough this year to where they can win games like this.

Comment

• fedwayzag
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Feb 2007

CDC, i was calling for a timeout when the guys were gassed. Still within striking distance for butler and we could have used a hoop. It all worked out fine. Nice to see we really never gave up the lead and extended late in the game.

I like butler's team. They are going to be really good next year. Hope they make the tournament this year and make some noise again.

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Fourth Question With Butler's best players not seeing action tonight (they graduated last year) does that make this win tainted?

intended as humor...laugh or not, it's up to you
                              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                              X