PDA

View Full Version : Dec 20 Update on Lavine of Bothell

SLOZag
12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
I've checked back through prior posts on this board re: which school Lavine may be leaning towards, but found little info in that regard. Hence it was somewhat of a surprise to find that Rivals is showing Lavine having "high" interest in Washington, and "medium" interest in the rest, including GU.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/basketball/recruiting/player-Zach-LaVine-128891

Does anyone know if this is currently Lavine's thinking, something that Lavine once thought but has reconsidered after the South Dakota State game, or simply a misrepresentation of what Lavine might have been thinking at the time Rivals published this info?

Angelo Roncalli
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I've checked back through prior posts on this board re: which school Lavine may be leaning towards, but found little info in that regard. Hence it was somewhat of a surprise to find that Rivals is showing Lavine having "high" interest in Washington, and "medium" interest in the rest, including GU.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/basketball/recruiting/player-Zach-LaVine-128891

Does anyone know if this is currently Lavine's thinking, something that Lavine once thought but has reconsidered after the South Dakota State game, or simply a misrepresentation of what Lavine might have been thinking at the time Rivals published this info?

Not sure what Lavine's current thinking is, but I've heard that he's expressed that he wants to play in the Pac-12. I heard that BEFORE the recent series of events with UW/Pac-12.

Baldwinzag
12-20-2011, 01:46 PM
if he doesn't choose GU, fine, yet anywhere but UW, please(a black-hole for developing talent).

tobizag
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
we've nearly reached the point where choosing the pac-12 because of it's "reputation" is indefensible.

U Zig, I Zag
12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Wants the UW? Fine - eventually the next great thing will come along and pick GU (or whomever) after learning the lessons from the other UW failures.

Honestly, does GU want someone that is swayed by the likes of Romar? As Bell, Spangler, Pangos, etc are showing, you can come to GU, win - play on plenty of TV (hey kids, NATIONALLY!). If you are good, Few will play you right out of the gate (we start two freshman and a walk-on, if that doesn't show you can earn playing time at GU then you might be better off at UW anyway).

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM

I think you're confused on Rivals terminology. This means you'd have to be high to consider UW.

U Zig, I Zag
12-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Hey, Cali - there is no 'we' in 'high'.

DixieZag
12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I watched his youtube stuff, the guy can shoot from DEEP - he really reminds me of Blake Stepp, same size (roughly) and same range. I can't believe that he would prefer the UW since they don't run any sort of offense for a pure shooter.

But, some kids come from families that have been huskies or at least husky fans for generations and never really considered the alternatives, that was THEIR team growing up. Perhaps he is one of those types, but they sometimes change their minds when they actually make visits and meet other coaches and see other campuses.

bullzag23
12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I think you're confused on Rivals terminology. This means you'd have to be high to consider UW.

:roll:

Baldwinzag
12-20-2011, 02:47 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QzqmUTTjhgY/TFDztEA7zjI/AAAAAAAALZg/LEqw8TPjH4o/s1600/you're_crazy_man.jpg

04ZagFan
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
if he doesn't choose GU, fine, yet anywhere but UW, please(a black-hole for developing talent).

lol what?

They certainly underachieve, but they have a lot of guys in the NBA, and will have a lot more in the NBA once the guys on their current roster make the jump.....

Baldwinzag
12-20-2011, 03:02 PM
lol what?

They certainly underachieve, but they have a lot of guys in the NBA, and will have a lot more in the NBA once the guys on their current roster make the jump.....

Not saying Romar & Co are not tremendous recruiters, indeed they are; however, when those chickens continually reel in Top-20 & 5* ranked prospects such as Brandon Roy, Spencer Hawes, Quincy Pondexter, Abdul Gaddy, Tony Wroten, et al(all Top-25 & higher guys), they're bound to get a few drafted over the years. Most of the players mentioned were Elite & on NBA radars well before they ever stepped foot on UW's campus. They get the best talent around, I'll always give them that, yet what do they do with it? GU has never, ever had a Recruiting Class ranked in the Top-25, yet UW features one every other year. Who are the actual under- and/or over- achievers here?

04ZagFan
12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Not saying Romar & Co are not tremendous recruiters, indeed they are; however, when those chickens continually reel in Top-20 & 5* ranked prospects such as Brandon Roy, Spencer Hawes, Quincy Pondexter, Tony Wroten, et al(all Top-25 guys), they're bound to get a few drafted over the years. Most of the players mentioned were Elite & on NBA radars well before they ever stepped foot on UW's campus. They get the best talent around, I'll always give them that, yet what do they do with it? GU has never, ever had a Recruiting Class ranked in the Top-25, yet UW features one every other year. Who are the actual under- and/or over- achievers here?

ok, then I agree with you... I also say they underachieve. I was thinking you were meaning more of "If you want to be showcased as a good player and make it to the NBA, don't go to UW" which is extremely false. Although you meant it to mean, that UW as a program/team underachieves with the talent on the roster. That I agree with.

Look at them now, even.. It's still early with time to turn it around, but they've got probably 5+ guys on the roster that are getting serious looks from the NBA, two of which would be first rounders this next draft, and they are losing. Yeah, I see what you mean now.

U Zig, I Zag
12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I took BZ as 'the team doesn't achieve what the recruiting #'s would tell you.'

04ZagFan
12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I took BZ as 'the team doesn't achieve what the recruiting #'s would tell you.'

A lot of elite players prefer going to the NBA over playing for a winning team.

maynard g krebs
12-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Roy was 40ish in the rankings I saw. Pondexter high 20s. Just for accuracy. Agree with the main points.

As to Lavine, he sees Bell playing within a system, and Wroten putting up huge numbers and highlight reel plays. Probably shouldn't speculate too much, but one could guess the high interest in UW shows what he prioritizes. And that's not a criticism. A lot of these kids are trying to figure out the best path to the big bucks, and you can't blame 'em for that.

I love him as a player, but not feeling very optimistic based on that high interest in UW.

U Zig, I Zag
12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
A lot of elite players prefer going to the NBA over playing for a winning team.

Unfortunately, yes. Wish GU could recruit one now and again, but one that's good for the school and community like Durant or that Teen Wolf (he was GOOD).

Baldwinzag
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Just curious -- considering I know very little about Lavine as a player, is he a bonafide NBA prospect at 6'0", 155lbs(such as Tony Wroten was/is)? I realize Zach is a tremendous scorer and very good D1 prospect, but League-worthy? If so, then UW could be the perfect fit; if not, then why not elect the best possible college experience, Tournament appearances, & a University proven to advance guards, grow as a person, and develop unknown products into potential NBA/Euro-pro picks? If you're a scoring guard, you'll receive immediate playing time and be featured product in our offense...if we can turn Blake Stepp, Dan Dickau, Adam Morrison, Richie Frahm, etc into NBA players, then imagine what we could do with a player such as Lavine? The moment we recruited a Top-50 kid(Austin Daye) he was a Lottery Pick by his 2nd yr -- catch my drift? You already see what we're doing with Top-100-esque Freshman talents in GBJ & Pangos.

Zagdawg
12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
04Zagfan -- Are you romars niece/nephew or something? Getting to be a bit of a trend -- defending everything that is UW basketball isnt it?

Between all the talk about how Bell isn't even in wrotens league and how many more kids romar is able to put the NBA-- has me seeing a bit of a theme here.

Playing on a good team and going to the association are not mutually exclusive.

Richie, Ronny, Dan, Morrison, and Daye think that you can play for a winning team like the Zags and still go to the NBA.

DixieZag
12-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Just curious -- considering I know very little about Lavine as a player, is he a bonafide NBA prospect at 6'0", 155lbs(such as Tony Wroten was/is)? I realize Zach is a tremendous scorer and very good D1 prospect, but League-worthy? If so, then UW could be the perfect fit; if not, then why not elect the best possible college experience, Tournament appearances, & a University proven to advance guards, grow as a person, and develop unknown products into potential NBA/Euro-pro picks? If you're a scoring guard, you'll receive immediate playing time and be featured product in our offense...if we can turn Blake Stepp, Dan Dickau, Adam Morrison, Richie Frahm, etc into NBA players, then imagine what we could do with a player such as Lavine? The moment we recruited a Top-50 kid(Austin Daye) he was a Lottery Pick by his 2nd yr -- catch my drift? You already see what we're doing with Top-100-esque Freshman talents in GBJ & Pangos.

The guy that I saw on youtube did not seem to be "league worthy" in the classic sense of one/two done, playing totally above the rim, driving around guys, super fast or super big. What I saw was a "listed" 6'3 PG that had deep range, very hard to tell from a highlight reel, but he wasn't driving around two guys and dunking with a body twice the size of everyone else, in fact, he looked a little wiry. He looked a lot like Pangos' youtube highlights, just stroking three's.

04ZagFan
12-20-2011, 04:14 PM
04Zagfan -- Are you romars niece/nephew or something? Getting to be a bit of a trend -- defending everything that is UW basketball isnt it?

Between all the talk about how Bell isn't even in wrotens league and how many more kids romar is able to put the NBA-- has me seeing a bit of a theme here.

Playing on a good team and going to the association are not mutually exclusive.

Richie, Ronny, Dan, Morrison, and Daye think that you can play for a winning team like the Zags and still go to the NBA.

Funny that you should say that, because I am the biggest Husky hater in the world.. Literally, THE biggest.. Maybe it's easier to defend them when they are losing like they are, but I just call it like I see it.

Wroten is an NBA ready player, and they pump out A LOT of NBA players.. Those are two facts I feel need to be made.. As for Romar, I really dislike him.. I also think they are one of the biggest underachievers in the country, but when you're talking individual talent, they have some of the best.

maynard g krebs
12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Looks/plays like Steph Curry. Have seen that comparison a number of times and agree with it. Who knows if he'll get that good, but he has similar tools to work with. Appears to still be growing, or at least he has since last season.

MDABE80
12-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Zach might know the obvious: ROmar gets top notch kids and figure out a way for them to underperform. Rarely, a kid like Brockman ( who would have put us in the FF) will go to the NBA because of himself. Hawes a one and done because his height and talent (uncoached by ROmar). Same with Roy. Brandon was successful o his own terms. If you remember, before the "one year" rule went into effect, brandon thought he was good enough to jump to the league out of HS. Foolish kid but he developed into a perenial ALL Star...didn't have much to do with ROmar.

Romar's being exposed this year as many of us knew...good recruiter but not much of a coach.
The young jedi Zach would know that before he call's Romar's number. The kid is 6 3 now...he needs to get a big thicker....does shoot very well. I know I'd like him with us.

btzag
12-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Zach might know the obvious: ROmar gets top notch kids and figure out a way for them to underperform. Rarely, a kid like Brockman ( who would have put us in the FF) will go to the NBA because of himself. Hawes a one and done because his height and talent (uncoached by ROmar). Same with Roy. Brandon was successful o his own terms. If you remember, before the "one year" rule went into effect, brandon thought he was good enough to jump to the league out of HS. Foolish kid but he developed into a perenial ALL Star...didn't have much to do with ROmar.

Romar's being exposed this year as many of us knew...good recruiter but not much of a coach.
The young jedi Zach would know that before he call's Romar's number. The kid is 6 3 now...he needs to get a big thicker....does shoot very well. I know I'd like him with us.

Yep.

Romar and Few are opposites.

GU and UW are opposites.

Literally there are very few kids who would choose GU OR UW as they are just so different. Roy and Brockman are the exceptions but Romar breeds a concept of individual freedom and personal achievement while Few preaches teamwork and collective effort. Also look at Stevens tonight or Coach K as examples of coaches that preach TEAM over INDIVIDUAL.

I think Romar wants to be Calipari but just can't get that truly elite talent to make that final leap. If a kid truly wants want Romar is selling...I say no thanks at GU.

tobizag
12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I watched his youtube stuff, the guy can shoot from DEEP - he really reminds me of Blake Stepp, same size (roughly) and same range.

blake stepp: 6' 4" and nearly 200 lbs.

zach levine: 6' 0" and only 150 lbs

using this logic, david stockton and matt bouldin are the same size too!

Bogozags
12-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Funny that you should say that, because I am the biggest Husky hater in the world.. Literally, THE biggest.. Maybe it's easier to defend them when they are losing like they are, but I just call it like I see it.

Wroten is an NBA ready player, and they pump out A LOT of NBA players.. Those are two facts I feel need to be made.. As for Romar, I really dislike him.. I also think they are one of the biggest underachievers in the country, but when you're talking individual talent, they have some of the best.

Not a fan of his either, seems to under achieve but he did have a nice run in the tournament last year. That being said, he can recruit and seems to get better athletes than any other school in the NW AND he should have more success than he does. He doesn't really develop his talented players like I think he should. Wroten is by far the best player he has and from what I have seen, a legitimate NBA player either this year or the next and IMO the best D1 player in the state...not taking away from GBJ but from what I have seen, he has "game changer" talent.

I still think GU beats them at a neutral site, their gym or ours...

04ZagFan
12-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Not a fan of his either, seems to under achieve but he did have a nice run in the tournament last year. That being said, he can recruit and seems to get better athletes than any other school in the NW AND he should have more success than he does. He doesn't really develop his talented players like I think he should. Wroten is by far the best player he has and from what I have seen, a legitimate NBA player either this year or the next and IMO the best D1 player in the state...not taking away from GBJ but from what I have seen, he has "game changer" talent.

I still think GU beats them at a neutral site, their gym or ours...

Yup. Looking at their team, they have top 10 talent. I am always amazed at who they manage to lose to...

DixieZag
12-20-2011, 08:37 PM
blake stepp: 6' 4" and nearly 200 lbs.

zach levine: 6' 0" and only 150 lbs

using this logic, david stockton and matt bouldin are the same size too!

His Bothell website lists him at 6' 3" - I went off of that and eyeballing him.