PDA

View Full Version : A Nugget from the Seatle Weekly Blog

SLOZag
12-19-2011, 01:02 PM
From http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/12/seahawks_romp_chicago_uw_basketball_embarassed_sou th_dakota_state.php

After detailing the Fushies' performance against South Dakota State, the writer opines:

"Elsewhere in college hoops, Gonzaga beat Arizona 71-60 at Key Arena Saturday. Lower Queen Anne was swarming with Zags fans, begging the question: why doesn't GU play UW in a cross-state rivalry game every year? Both Romar and Gonzaga's Mark Few have said scheduling such contests are tricky, but it's becoming increasingly clear that the mighty mid-major from Spokane doesn't want UW dragging down their RPI ranking come Selection Sunday."

:D

webspinnre
12-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Nice snark.

Baldwinzag
12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
As Bing would say, "read it and weep, Fuskies."

http://im.in.com/connect/images/profile/oct2009/Bing_Crosby_300.jpg

tobizag
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
but it's becoming increasingly clear that the mighty mid-major from Spokane doesn't want UW dragging down their RPI ranking come Selection Sunday."

:000tens:

rennis
12-19-2011, 01:38 PM
bwahahaha!

Nice comment. We all know it has less to do with RPI than recruiting though. Romar's no fool. ;)

sittingon50
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
:clap:

kclubfounder
12-19-2011, 04:19 PM
bwahahaha!

Nice comment. We all know it has less to do with RPI than recruiting though. Romar's no fool. ;)

What it actually has to do with is getting pounded year after year because Gonzaga's teams are better, especially at the beginning of the year. It is embarrassing.

Romar looks for athletic streetballers with great playground moves, and the more fundamental and the more of a team player the better.

Few looks for team players with great fundamentals, and the more athletic the better.

They rarely recruit the same guy, especially considering they are the 2 biggest programs in a huge geographical area.

Therunner
12-19-2011, 04:24 PM
yeah, but how can this be?! UW clearly has better recruits & athletes...

HOOTER
12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Great comment, but it seems to suggest that it was Gonzaga's choice to end the series. I guess if you only consider Few's (understandable) unwillingness to play the game in Seattle every year, maybe it actually was Gonzaga who ended the series.

DixieZag
12-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Anyone bored enough and looking for some serious schedenfruede, go on over to the Seattle-Times/Percy UW BB blog and take in some of the comments.

Many are calling for Romar to be fired.

To me, the best way to see the fundamental difference between the two programs is that Tony Wroten Jr. (second best in state to Gary Bell) has been putting up mid 20s pts in the last 3 games, pretty good for a frosh, right? Wrong, in the last 3 games he has 4 assists and is playing PG! His shooting percentage is poor, lots of turnovers and WORST of all, he is dawging it on defense, as in - not playing ANY.

Meanwhile - Gary Bell Jr. committed to GU upon his visit, saying it felt "right", he is already starting, he is already our best on the ball defender, he is rebounding and taking good shots within the offense, the consummate Zag.

I admit that I have complained about the tight leash that Few has on his team, but when I ventured over and looked at the alternative, well - I sure like where this team is headed.

rennis
12-20-2011, 07:21 AM
They rarely recruit the same guy, especially considering they are the 2 biggest programs in a huge geographical area.

Uhhh, okay. C. Dollar probably disagrees with you...

Kiddwell
12-20-2011, 07:33 AM
This fan would like to see home-and-home series with Oregon and Oregon State. They're close. There'd be loads of interest, and it'd be good for our Northwest and West Coast recruiting.

:]

bartruff1
12-20-2011, 07:45 AM
bwahahaha!

Nice comment. We all know it has less to do with RPI than recruiting though. Romar's no fool. ;) I think you have a very good point. It may be true that they recruit a different kind of student athlete (now be nice) but there is a overlap and if Gonzaga is beating UW more often than not, well that could have a effect. It is certainly true that Romar is no fool as his record and tenure (and salary) are proof of that. Come March, when the finals are given, the Huskies will do well...I am not surprised that the kids usually end up in the right place. What is Gaddy's problem ?

kramzag
12-20-2011, 09:45 AM
That article brought a tear to my eye. Beautiful.

yeah, but how can this be?! UW clearly has better recruits & athletes...

We killed UW when we played them. Most recently, we beat them 8 out of 9 times, lastly a 97-77 win while we were ranked #18 and UW was #8 on Dec 9, 2006 (http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=263432250) which I was at. Single best day of my 4 years at GU.

Great comment, but it seems to suggest that it was Gonzaga's choice to end the series. I guess if you only consider Few's (understandable) unwillingness to play the game in Seattle every year, maybe it actually was Gonzaga who ended the series.

"Washington is choosing not to renew the contract because it says it has no room on its national schedule next season." -from the ESPN recap. Romar didn't want to continue the series because it looked bad, so instead of straight declining, he came back with a completely bogus/coward offer of playing every game in Seattle. Hopefully UW comes to their senses and the series is renewed. It's not a rivalry if we're not playing :/

webspinnre
12-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Kram, you're not reading the post correctly. The first part is sarcasm, the second is trying to find a way to justify the sarcasm in the original article because that sarcasm was missed.

kramzag
12-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Kram, you're not reading the post correctly. The first part is sarcasm, the second is trying to find a way to justify the sarcasm in the original article because that sarcasm was missed.

That makes sense. I guess I got carried away talking about how GU > UW.

Zag365
12-20-2011, 11:47 AM
It has never bothered me that U.W./G.U. series ended.

1. We have no "need" for an annual U.W. game. We have a good OOC schedule. Besides it would be a major distraction because each school would have to devote extra time to preparing. The outcome would mean too much to each school's pride, a false barometer of where their program is, etc. Too exhausting/debilitating, I think, to re-live every past victory/defeat year-after-year if the series became a tradition.

2. We don't need to create an annual rivalry game in a market where we need to recruit and where we get reasonably good support. Not everyone likes us, but we get a fair amount of favorable attention/support in W.WA for being part of State, the little-engine-that-could, etc. Let's leave it to WSU to be the lightening rod for bitterness and hatred between fans in the East/West. Our "rivalry" is against national programs in general, esp. BCS schools, in general. Our fan base is everyone who loves team basketball, didn't go to one of the basketball powerhouse schools, and thinks good character should be rewarded. I'm more interested in seeing us play home-and-home series like we have with MSU, Wake, Memphis, etc. We get more national attention/coverage (and it is more fun) by playing in big venues outside the Pacific NW. Plus, it adds to our go-anywhere/play-anyone reputation.

3. We had a great run most recently and dominated the Huskies. If the series hadn't happened or if it had gone the other way, we might be stuck with incessant taunting from Westside that we aren't worth playing, probably would be roadkill, or not good enough to play with U.W. As it is, we got out with a good taste in our mouth and shut off that noise. It's all good. Leave well-enough alone.

4. The end of the series (at least for now) came without any cost. On balance, it appears to the public and sports writers that U.W. was the party that overreached or killed the deal. Whether true or not, we benefit by not looking like we chickened out. Plus, from where I sit, LoRo has been a gentleman in his public comments. He hasn't bashed GU or derided our program. I think the worst you can say is that he's been non-commital -- which, from my perspective, is just what I want him to say.