PDA

View Full Version : GU mentions in Seth Davis' Hoop Thoughts

CDC84
12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/12/19/Khem.Birch/1.html

A good player knows how to play well when he's not playing well. Understand? Kevin Pangos does. Gonzaga's 6-1 freshman guard had his worst shooting game of the season against Arizona (1 for 9 from the floor, 0 for 5 from three), but he still found a way to contribute eight assists (to one turnover) and three rebounds. That's how you get Capone.

Don't you love seeing a former a walk-on not only earn a scholarship but a starting spot as well? That's what Gonzaga's 6-6 junior guard Mike Hart has done. He is averaging 19 minutes a game and scoring 3.2 points. Well done, Mike.

bostonzagfan
12-19-2011, 09:46 AM
harts on a scholly?

ZagNut08
12-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Believe the coaches awarded Meech's scholarship...can't recall if it's split between he and stockton or not.

jazzdelmar
12-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Grain of salt also with Seth, who picked Zags twice for FF in last decade. Not as blatant a fan as Katz but can be subjective.

Angelo Roncalli
12-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Believe the coaches awarded Meech's scholarship...can't recall if it's split between he and stockton or not.

D-1 basketball scholarships cannot be split as in baseball or soccer.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Agreed about Kevin. When he becomes a consistent shooter, sky's the limit. I'd love to see a little more midrange game from him, too. Young guards seem to have the tendency to overpenetrate, passing up an open 12 footer in favor of a contested shot at the basket over a big man.

Baldwinzag
12-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I'd love to see a little more midrange game from him, too. Young guards seem to have the tendency to overpenetrate, passing up an open 12 footer in favor of a contested shot at the basket over a big man.

+1 Marquise is most guilty of this -- every time he aggressively dribble-drives the lane, he has no outlet or plan with the ball whatsoever. He's done this in every game this season and either is bailed out by an official or is whistled for the charge. Not a good plan of attack. What makes this especially frustrating is the fact 'Quise was renowned for his mid-range game as a JUCO player and even last season. He has a beautiful floater from 10 feet out and made numerous mid-range jumpers last season in WCC & NCAA Tourney. I suspect he's been overly aggressive/out of control lately due to his shot being off -- even in warm-ups.

bartruff1
12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Grain of salt also with Seth, who picked Zags twice for FF in last decade. Not as blatant a fan as Katz but can be subjective. Oliver told me that we had to let Seth go...people were getting suspicious after those FF calls...had to bring him in from the cold.

ZagNative
12-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Oliver told me that we had to let Seth go...people were geting suspicious after those FF calls...had to bring him in from the cold.:D

I love bart!

bartruff1
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM
:D

I love bart! Thanks mom...but don't blow your cover...