PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Team of the Week

AK457
12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
GU

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1203/week-3

thickman1
12-18-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't really like how they write that the Illinois loss was "bad". Frustrating.

MDABE80
12-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Be GRATEFUL! Doesn't hurt that Andy Katz wrote it. agree...neither losses were blow outs...we could have won either. I think it's the perception that 2 losses are somehow taboo. Doesn't matter...let's beat the next two...then crash X on New Years. That one will be a very difficult game.

tobizag
12-19-2011, 06:08 AM
I don't really like how they write that the Illinois loss was "bad". Frustrating.

the direct quote from katz: "The loss was the Zags' second in a row, after losing badly to another Big Ten team (Illinois)."

that's slightly different than saying illinois was a bad loss, but i'm still in agreement that katz's description is nonetheless frustrating. we turned the ball over more than we should have, but we only lost by 7 on the road in the big 10. we shot 51% from the floor in that game, but missed 9 free throws and had 17 turnovers. that's basically the game. if we settle down on about 3 possessions, and make a few more freebies, we win.

i still like our position. given our youth and inexperience, it's been a solid start to the season.

bartruff1
12-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Andy is a Gonzaga mole...planted in the National College Basketball Media to advance our cause...

jazzdelmar
12-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Katz isn't as much a Zag fan as a Few fan. It can be a little off putting at times imo

rennis
12-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Andy is a Gonzaga mole...planted in the National College Basketball Media to advance our cause...

bwahahaha! Yes!

Andy Katz is to GU as Dick V. is to Duke.

rijman
12-19-2011, 08:25 AM
i still like our position. given our youth and inexperience, it's been a solid start to the season.
I agree. Now that we're starting 2 freshmen I didn't expect the Zags to start off the season winning every game. I like what i've seen so far and I believe this team has the potential to gel and beat top ranked teams. Come the NCAA tourney the Zags could be a very tough out with solid inside/outside play and a relatively deep bench.

kitzbuel
12-19-2011, 08:45 AM
the direct quote from katz: "The loss was the Zags' second in a row, after losing badly to another Big Ten team (Illinois)."

that's slightly different than saying illinois was a bad loss, but i'm still in agreement that katz's description is nonetheless frustrating. we turned the ball over more than we should have, but we only lost by 7 on the road in the big 10. we shot 51% from the floor in that game, but missed 9 free throws and had 17 turnovers. that's basically the game. if we settle down on about 3 possessions, and make a few more freebies, we win.

The Zags FTs were not that bad during the Ill game (67% with season avg of 70%) and was very good during the MSU game (79%).

The Zags had the highest number of TOs of the season in the Illinois (16), MSU (20) and ORU (17) games; had the lowest number of rebounds (especially offensive rebounds) in the Illinois (27) and MSU (28) games and the lowest number of assists in the Illinois and MSU games.

Rebounding, assists and turnovers are the keys to the Zags performance so far this year. Those are all stats that look at how much a team values the ball.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/kitzbuel/ZagStatusthruUA.jpg

Baldwinzag
12-19-2011, 09:03 AM
The Zags FTs were not that bad during the Ill game (67% with season avg of 70%) and was very good during the MSU game (79%).

The Zags had the highest number of TOs of the season in the Illinois (16), MSU (20) and ORU (17) games; had the lowest number of rebounds (especially offensive rebounds) in the Illinois (27) and MSU (28) games and the lowest number of assists in the Illinois and MSU games.

Rebounding, assists and turnovers are the keys to the Zags performance so far this year. Those are all stats that look at how much a team values the ball.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/kitzbuel/ZagStatusthruUA.jpg

Excellent post, Kitzy. Thanks.

Low rebound totals + high turnovers = a Zags loss.

Noted.

McZag
12-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Katz went out of his way on this one. Zona is not ranked but still considered a very positive win. He could have given Butler the nod for their incredible comeback against Purdue.

We definitely have a friend in Mr. Katz!

ZagNut08
12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Interesting that we get this mention and drop in the ESPN Top 25 poll, went from 13 votes to 3. Went from #32 to #38 and are below Saint Mary's in votes...