PDA

View Full Version : How do we feed the post better?

zagfan1
12-18-2011, 04:38 PM
One of my observations from the game is that we really need to have our guards penetrate better so we can get Sacre or Harris some nice looks inside. I see a lot of perimeter left right ball movement but not a lot of plays where we put our post players in good position to shoot the ball. What do we need to do to try to do to start doing this? Any thoughts? I would really like to see Sacre getting the ball from a nice pass from one of the guards. I did see one pass from either Pangos or Stockton to Dower which was pretty impressive. But I want to see more of this. That is my Christmas wish, frequent feeding of the post:)

ezcure17
12-18-2011, 05:33 PM
We learn how to make a few BOUNCE passes!! They telegraph everything. Either look the other way before passing, fake a shot and dump it in, do something!! Our bigs can't seem to be able to CATCH anything thrown into them.

MDABE80
12-18-2011, 05:52 PM
We need another big. ROb cannot filed passes when 2 guys are hanging all over him. True, there's been some passing ...no... lots of horrible passing at the feet or below the knees while he's in traffic. THAT has got to stop. I did see some better passing from the guards yesterday. Edi's passing looked good but he didn't play much.
All the feeding in the world doesn't matter if it's not the manageable type. It's kinda like throwing a ball to your best receiver when he has 2 or more guys hanging on him while in traffic. It's just stupid. Experience will imporve this.

MickMick
12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Post feeds in the Arizona game were very good.

Edie made a perfect feed to Sam.

Nice bounce pass from Pangos to Harris.

Stockton with a nice feed to Rob.

Don't get stuck on old news. The Zags are looking good with post feeds lately.

04ZagFan
12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
One thing I really noticed Saturday from my seat in the Key, is that, at least this one game, it wasn't so much the inability to actually complete the pass, it was just the fact that the guys weren't throwing the damn ball inside to open bigs.. So many times when Rob/Elias/Sam had great position and didn't get the ball.

I'm guessing that's because the coaches have been stressing good entry passes and not turning it over, so guys are a little shy to throw it inside. Baby steps. We've seen how good the team can be. Let's just hope they put it all together come March.

rockzag
12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Good feeds and catches made in the Arizona game. Hard to improve on that performance.Keep executing ala Wildcat game.Mick is right on.

gamagin
12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Post feeds in the Arizona game were very good.

Edie made a perfect feed to Sam.

Nice bounce pass from Pangos to Harris.

Stockton with a nice feed to Rob.

Don't get stuck on old news. The Zags are looking good with post feeds lately.

Not only this, but the bigs have begun to kick it back out instead of taking a bad shot, thus spreading the field, increasing the possibilities and making the bad guys stop playing the plays and working harder. All good.

Once our perimeter shooters make their share, we're going to be positively lethal.

Malastein
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
The first half had some really great post feeds. The second half was where the trouble emerged. Ultimately, I doubt this will be a big issue by the middle of WCC play.

U Zig, I Zag
12-19-2011, 07:11 AM
My biggest complaint so far this year has been passing, especially to the interior. It's almost as if Few says, 'no matter what, this possession gets to Rob down low.' Then we precede to force it.

Sat against AZ was way better than the previous games, maybe they have turned a corner (or AZ just wasn't that good man on man).

zagzilla
12-19-2011, 08:26 AM
I thought the guards did a much better job of feeding the post Saturday.

We were screaming for Sacre to shoot the ball in the second half. He had a bunch of great touches down low where he kicked it back out and then we wound up taking a bad 3pt shot vs. a high % low post look. Once he had the ball from about 6 ft with nobody between him and the hoop and he PASSED. We wound up chucking a three and missing.

He only had 6 attempts the entire game which is OK for Hart but not for Big Rob. Wildcats were undersized and Rob was getting great position. I couldn't tell if they were just trying to work the clock in the second half or if he was under orders from Few to kick out more. However, when the outside shots weren't falling this became a big part of how AZ got back into the game.

When we get the balance in this offense dialed in, they are gonna really be deadly. Not there yet but making progress.

To be continued.....

ZZ

Zag4Hire
12-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah that was a great offensive effort at BiS and hopefully they can sustain it. No complaints about the entry passes and the ball the movement was crisp. Another factor I did not previously consider besides the kick-out and cutters toward the hoop is when Harris hits outside shots, he will draw the other big out on the perimeter. This will also assist GBJ, Stocks, and Pangos with dumping it down to Sacre by not clogging the middle.

Baldwinzag
12-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Easy. . .

Sacre loves good gumbo:

http://www.ethnic-spicy-food-and-more.com/images/spanishrice.jpg

Dower lives for sushi:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50273_18409425969_5503684_n.jpg

Ryan digs a good reuben/corned beef:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/Katz's_Deli_-_Lunch.jpg/300px-Katz's_Deli_-_Lunch.jpg

Harris can't get enough brats cooked in beer:

http://kitchenproject.com/german/Bratwurst/bratstovetop/bratstove/bratwithbeer.jpg

Baldwinzag
12-19-2011, 08:57 AM
We can't leave out Kelly for next year...

Olynyk also adores sushi, yet his comfort good is classic poutine:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uabCuXlTIn4/TiYJCvHm13I/AAAAAAAABSI/Uigk3jYefmw/s400/poutine.jpg