• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Nobody plays harder than Butler

No Kennel Club, just old farts. No band. And Butler is now believing in themselves after that gutsy comeback vs Purdue. Will the Zags play as hard as Butler? Can the Zags match Butler's energy and tenacity? Butler is the two-time National Championship Runners-Up, so they have a tough mindset that will be difficult to equal. Their bigs are darn good and they have nice guards. And Brad Stephens is a helluva coach.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

No

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    No Kennel Club, just old farts. No band. And Butler is now believing in themselves after that gutsy comeback vs Purdue. Will the Zags play as hard as Butler? Can the Zags match Butler's energy and tenacity? Butler is the two-time National Championship Runners-Up, so they have a tough mindset that will be difficult to equal. Their bigs are darn good and they have nice guards. And Brad Stephens is a helluva coach.
    Dook does. Every game, every play. But ur point is well made, Beezer.

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

I have the utmost respect for Butler and I am sure they will be tough and they could beat us.

However, I like the momentum going into the game - it seems to me like the guys were so happy with finding themselves in Seattle that they would be anxious to get back on the court again ASAP, just about everyone got minutes, just about everyone contributed, they all seem to really support and like each other.

I expect a battle but I also expect the Zags to come out with the same energy that they did against AZ b/c it was so rewarding.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

This is going to be a great game, imo

And I believe the answer is yes. We can match and exceed Butler's intensity. And beat them in a battle of wills. Teamwork. 40 minutes.
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• JAGzag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

I'll be the Debbie Downer, but I don't think so. For the past few years Butler's had what GU had years ago - the swagger and desire to play the entire game like the last minute. I think we've missed that - just look at how we can't close games.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by JAGzag View Post
            I'll be the Debbie Downer, but I don't think so. For the past few years Butler's had what GU had years ago - the swagger and desire to play the entire game like the last minute. I think we've missed that - just look at how we can't close games.
            That's true, but they lost their best players from last year. They still have great talent, but not their best. They did beat Purdue, but the Boilermakers missed a whole bunch of shots over the last 5+ minutes.
            I know that the zags can go stretches without scoring from the field, but I think our bigs go to the line, our guards do a good job of driving, and I think we're just a little better...maybe just the homecourt points.
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Zag365
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Will the Zags play as hard as Butler? Can the Zags match Butler's energy and tenacity?
              The AZ game proved the Zags are able to play with great energy, tenacity, and physicality. I agree that the real question is "will they." I would be surprised if there was a let down. To my eye, this team has been consistent in playing hard and playing with poise. They have struggled to execute at times, but not for lack of effort. Also, as this season has progressed the coaches are finding out which set of starters is most willing to be aggressive inside and outside on the offensive end and that group has played well the last two games (for example, until MC regains his confidence, he's better coming off the bench). As we saw yesterday, a big key is how much Harris can contribute to the offensive flow when he's active and confident. If he is a threat each time down the court, we cut down on turnovers because don't need to depend as much on trying to get the ball into Rob while he's double- (and triple-) teamed.

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

I plan to be in attendance and will be my loudest for the Zags, but I think Butler will ultimately take down our Zags in a tight, close game.
                The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

If we play Butler like we played the first half against Zona...we win. Anything short of that and we don't. Watch the ball zags...no turns, lots of rebounds and the two youngest guards must get better than 15% ( 3-20) from 3. Elias needs to continue his intensity. If he does that, things open up for the rest of the team.

Comment

• Stache
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2007

Doomed!

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

I plan to be in attendance and will be my loudest for the Zags, but I think Butler will ultimately take down our Zags in a tight, close game.
                      Not so fast BZ...I say we will breakout and runaway with this one, even in the quite Kennel. Butler is good, but the Zags will win rather handily, about 10to 15 pts . I just feel we are just too deep for them, and will wear them down.

Comment

• Worthington
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Aug 2011

I'm not one to take any team lightly, but we should win this one easily if Butler's play so far this year is any evidence.

Comment

• btzag
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Feb 2007

Which team are we talking about? Is it the team that is 308th in FG % hitting on 39% for the year? Is it the team that has lost to Evansville, Valparaiso, Ball State and barely escaped Gardner-Webb? Is it the team that would have to have their frontcourt play the GU's wings (Hart and Edi) to have a fair matchup on the post?

I mean come on people...the psychological games are fun at times but could we have some serious Bball discussion?

Flat out if we lose at home to Butler we just better pack it in and call it a season. I put Butler on par with EWU or Hawaii and they definitely do not have the talent even of a WSU or ND though much better coaching. We have to win this game by 10+ and us fans should expect nothing less.

Comment

• Therunner
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2007

If the KC were in town, we win this game by 15+.

without KC, we win by 10, maybe less.

If Elias' maintains the same intensity, fire, and keeps flying around on defense/offense as he did vs 'Zona it could be blow-out city.

I expect a lower scoring game , yet win going away -- I think Oral Roberts would beat this particular Butler team by double-digits.

Butler is better/more talented than most teams we've played, yet we should win.

Hopefully, the guys are rested and focused following the terrific effort/hustle they displayed against Arizona -- exhaustion is my only concern.

Pangos is going to break-out of his shooting slump this game as well. KP has racked up 15 assists & only 2 TO's the past two outings.

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

Talk about the team that came from way back and beat Purdue

Talk about the team that nearly always comes back...talk about a team that is so well coached they can win butt ugly...talk about a team that plays defense for the whole game ...ect...no doubt they will be in the game. But we win at home...

Comment

Working...
                              X