PDA

View Full Version : Early Christmas

Zag365
12-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Had seats under basket opposite KC. Best BiS since UConn game. So many great presents: wire-to-wire lead/effort; rebounding; min. TOs; tenacious D; Harris!; Hart channeling every tough, scrappy Zag of Christmas' past; looking good on national tv game (always dicey); team effort; great crowd support; student section rocked; team played in rhythm; didn't try to force passes into clogged lanes (except once or twice); no panic when AZ had little runs; and finally hung one on AZ. Now we need to take care of business against Butler and AF at home. Won't be easy (plus students on break).

I was surprised at how physical today's game was and how much the officials let it go. We adapted and gave as good as we got. Not like the BiS game with TENN a few years ago. Maybe those two Big 10 games being so recent helped.

Luckily we were so good on the glass that our mediocre 3 pt. shooting and tepid FT % didn't become a factor.

It was terrific that the big lead early allowed some minutes for GLE. I was watching his communication with Stocks, MC, and Dower when he entered the game. They treated him like a peer; he seemed to know where to go on offense/defense. Didn't look like he was intimidated at all. Showed nervous energy like any player out for his first game. Very athletic - more Erroll Knight than Ira Brown. Gives us a slashing wing. If he is able to hit from outside as advertised, we've got a good one.

sittingon50
12-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I was impressed by the size of the KC (looked bigger to me than at the ORU game) & of the crowd in general. You guys looked & sounded great on TV.

bartruff1
12-18-2011, 04:41 AM
That kind of officiating helps Gonzaga with it's size and depth. Not to suggest it was the reason we won, but it is a advantage. The WCC play will be much more physical this year...I hope the officials allow some, no harm no four no call play...

TheGonzagaFactor
12-18-2011, 08:16 AM
That kind of officiating helps Gonzaga with it's size and depth. Not to suggest it was the reason we won, but it is a advantage. The WCC play will be much more physical this year...I hope the officials allow some, no harm no four no call play...

I thought the officials did everything in their power to keep that game close...

gamagin
12-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Had seats under basket opposite KC. Best BiS since UConn game. So many great presents: wire-to-wire lead/effort; rebounding; min. TOs; tenacious D; Harris!; Hart channeling every tough, scrappy Zag of Christmas' past; looking good on national tv game (always dicey); team effort; great crowd support; student section rocked; team played in rhythm; didn't try to force passes into clogged lanes (except once or twice); no panic when AZ had little runs; and finally hung one on AZ. Now we need to take care of business against Butler and AF at home. Won't be easy (plus students on break).

I was surprised at how physical today's game was and how much the officials let it go. We adapted and gave as good as we got. Not like the BiS game with TENN a few years ago. Maybe those two Big 10 games being so recent helped.

Luckily we were so good on the glass that our mediocre 3 pt. shooting and tepid FT % didn't become a factor.

It was terrific that the big lead early allowed some minutes for GLE. I was watching his communication with Stocks, MC, and Dower when he entered the game. They treated him like a peer; he seemed to know where to go on offense/defense. Didn't look like he was intimidated at all. Showed nervous energy like any player out for his first game. Very athletic - more Erroll Knight than Ira Brown. Gives us a slashing wing. If he is able to hit from outside as advertised, we've got a good one.

Sharp, informative, colorful & lively report. thanks !

sittingon50
12-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Those were Pac/WCC officials.

fedwayzag
12-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Loved watching the game in person. You see some things TV cannot so. For instance when EDI was in during the 1st half. We were shooting free throws. He and stockton were standing behind the free throw line. Edi puts his arm around stockton and they have a short chat. Very cool.

We all know Carter's shot is off. It really looked bad in warm ups. Just like the game unfortunately. But at the end of the game he was the first player out chest bumping the guys after the win. A great team player.

Finally, surprised by Spangler in warm ups. He looked very smooth shooting out to and past the 3 point line.

Zag365
12-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Loved watching the game in person. You see some things TV cannot so. For instance when EDI was in during the 1st half. We were shooting free throws. He and stockton were standing behind the free throw line. Edi puts his arm around stockton and they have a short chat. Very cool.

We all know Carter's shot is off. It really looked bad in warm ups. Just like the game unfortunately. But at the end of the game he was the first player out chest bumping the guys after the win. A great team player.

Finally, surprised by Spangler in warm ups. He looked very smooth shooting out to and past the 3 point line.

Completely agree that this team appears to be genuinely supportive of each other. Coach Few's comments about great chemistry appear dead-on as you watch warm-ups and post-game live.

I've attend both the BC Classic (Hawaii) and BiS in person. Been pleasantly surprised to not only to see KD dressed and participating in warm-ups but also seeing KO and CS actively feeding passes to guys during shoot-arounds, high-fiving them during lay-up drills, assisting with retrieving balls, listening in on huddles during time-outs, all the while in street clothes. It's not just their show of support that's great, but you can see that their teamates consider them part of this year's team and they are getting a lot of intangible experience every game (I assume they are doing the same thing at other games). Should bode real well for when they start play next year.

Man, there is a lot of Zag gear out there. Can't believe the amount and variety on display at both Vancouver and Seattle games. Back in the day, it seemed like all you could find at the bookstore were two different color sweatshirts and some paperweights with the school crest.

Can't believe the mugging put on Rob in the two games. I'm surprised that he doesn't get even more fouls called on opponents. They obviously push, grab, hook, hip-check, and block him from getting any space (yet, he works his butt off and doesn't quit).

MDABE80
12-18-2011, 05:47 PM
We need another big man down low. Rob's getting mugged every game. As it sits right now, ELias isn't big enough. As the season advances, I'd guess we'll need more of Spangler or Sam on the floor WITH Rob. We need some muscle to offset Rob. We're winning the boards but not sure for how long when we play some tough customers.
Ebsides ROb's got to be exhausted from all the fouling he receives. SO.. I'd like a 6 8 or more big man for Christmas;)

rockzag
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
We need another big man down low. Rob's getting mugged every game. As it sits right now, ELias isn't big enough. As the season advances, I'd guess we'll need more of Spangler or Sam on the floor WITH Rob. We need some muscle to offset Rob. We're winning the boards but not sure for how long when we play some tough customers.
Ebsides ROb's got to be exhausted from all the fouling he receives. SO.. I'd like a 6 8 or more big man for Christmas;)
Abe,from the 4 minutes of playing time in the Arizona game that Spangler got he was blocking out, rebounding and otherwise physically taking it to the Arizona bigs.It looks like you may have your 6'8'' Xmas present.