PDA

View Full Version : Would this have happened in the mid-2000s?

zagfan08
12-17-2011, 07:17 PM
“This week was very hard, but what did we go, 2-1, I’ll take it" -Gary Bell Jr.

Can't be great if you'll "take" 2-1 when you're favored in basically 3 home games, including one against Oral Roberts. Sure this might be a poor quote from a freshman, but it seems to me like Few was so adamant that this week was tough on his players that the youngsters bought in. Can't expect to be mediocre and take the strides this program still hopes to take. Good win today, and with a young team we'll continue to get better.. But the mentality has to change a bit too.

ZagNative
12-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Sheesh .... I disagree with your take on this. Honest-to-god ....

zagfan08
12-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Well what are we trying to be? If we're trying to have fun and win some games and keep making the NCAA tournament every year, then let's take 2-1 in finals week against 3 teams that could make the tourney (although Arizona and Oral Roberts will probably need to win their conference tourneys).

I prefer to think our expectations are higher than that. Maybe they aren't. Maybe we'll settle for a young team that gets knocked out in the second round.

EuroZag2010
12-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Can't be great if you'll "take" 2-1 when you're favored in basically 3 home games, including one against Oral Roberts. Sure this might be a poor quote from a freshman, but it seems to me like Few was so adamant that this week was tough on his players that the youngsters bought in. Can't expect to be mediocre and take the strides this program still hopes to take. Good win today, and with a young team we'll continue to get better.. But the mentality has to change a bit too.

Are you serious? Yeah Ill TAKE it also!! This is a freshmen and you are reading into it way to much. Lighten up dude

kitzbuel
12-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Did you expect Few to tell them that the week would be easy?

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Sheesh .... I disagree with your take on this. Honest-to-god ....

+ 1

MDABE80
12-17-2011, 07:52 PM
I think I'd take it too. Remember our two newest guards have 9 games under thier belts...not much...now throw in their first finals and all the cramming with lost sleep...well...I kinda think it's been borderline spectacular.

EuroZag2010
12-17-2011, 07:55 PM
I love our new guards they are playing well as freshmen. I am just disppointed in where Carters season has gone.. I really thought he turned the corner at the end of last season but no matter what ill root for that kid all day every day!! I hope he snaps out of this funk that he is in.

zagzilla
12-17-2011, 08:18 PM
"Would this have happened in the mid 2000's?"

You mean some joker nitpicking a quote trying to stir the p*t on this board?

Probably yes.

ZZ

awberke
12-17-2011, 09:38 PM

Probably yes.

ZZ

Why did you put an asterisk in ###?

OP, would you prefer he say, man i'm disgusted in our performance this week...we better p*ck it up next week.

Edit: Uhhh, apparently p0t is an obscentiy. Am i missing something?

ZagsGoZags
12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
2 wins, one loss
yes I'll gladly take it
after losing two big games in a row, and everybody wondering (after last year) will be able to provide damage control?

Yes we let them back into the game
but that happens to good teams

what happened when they were down by six, is that our level of play
remained intense
god, esp. that pass into the paint by Stocks with less than 2 min to play
wow

zagfan08
12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Sure, as a fan I was expecting 2-1. But this is a starting guard saying he'll take 2-1 this week. That's a "lose in the 2nd round" attitude.

Of course, I wouldn't expect much differently from you guys, my mistake there. But our starting SG shouldn't be content with 2-1 (when we were favored in all 3, not like we were playing UNC and Syracuse). Until our own players strive for better, it's hard to claim to be advancing as a program.

maynard g krebs
12-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Sure, as a fan I was expecting 2-1. But this is a starting guard saying he'll take 2-1 this week. That's a "lose in the 2nd round" attitude.

Of course, I wouldn't expect much differently from you guys, my mistake there. But our starting SG shouldn't be content with 2-1 (when we were favored in all 3, not like we were playing UNC and Syracuse). Until our own players strive for better, it's hard to claim to be advancing as a program.

In last year's district and state tourneys, Gary carried a mediocre team through a series of about 6 loser out games till they ran into a basically unbeatable Gonzaga Prep team. He elevated his game through the entire stretch to an incredible level. To question GB's will to win is kind of silly imo.

bartruff1
12-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Some kids cry and pout and throw tantrums just to get attention...the good news is that most grow up..

Zagpower
12-18-2011, 04:36 AM

Welcome to Eastern Washington.....Carry On.

JAGzag
12-18-2011, 04:40 AM

OP, would you prefer he say, man i'm disgusted in our performance this week...we better p*ck it up next week.

I remember it starting after the Josh incident - not sure if it's related but I remember "the word that won't be spelled" couldn't spell out after he was arrested.

bigblahla
12-18-2011, 05:30 AM
That's a "lose in the 2nd round" attitude.

Can't wait to get to March? Why watch any games until then? The TEAM that takes the floor may not be as good as the one you dream up in your head but I think I'll keep watching and cheering for the TEAM on the floor. Come March let us know how the one in your head did.

Good enough folks not great it's not a hard concept and it's a reality whether some here choose to accept it or not.

Good game as the Wildcats never got closer than 6 the entire game after the lead was built.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

FuManShoes
12-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Here's the quote and some context, not that much was needed. Pretty lame to seize on this statement after GU just notched a hell of a win.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/dec/17/zags-start-fast-hold-arizona/

“This week was very hard, but what did we go, 2-1, I’ll take it,” said freshman guard Gary Bell Jr., who wrapped up his five finals Thursday. “We played three tournament teams.”
The week had Gonzaga coach Mark Few worried.
“I just told them that might be as tough a week as we’ve had in quite a while,” said Few, recalling a physical loss to Michigan State and a “grinder” victory over Oral Roberts with finals in between. “And then to have short prep and play a very good Arizona team, that’s a heck of a week.
“I was worried about coming out with nothing in our tank. We tried to go light (at Friday’s practice). A lot of our teams coming out of finals are kind of zapped, but these guys did a nice job. And having that youth, sometimes they make mistakes but it kind of energizes everybody, too.”

Psychozag
12-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I am not sure that magical thinking really works in basketball. I wish it was as easy as GBJ just believing that GU will win a championship and it will happen. If that's the thinking, then the New Jersey Institute of Technology could win this year as well if they just believed enough. Reality and being proud of a good week in basketball isn't such a bad thing.

bballbeachbum
12-18-2011, 08:03 AM
I am not sure that magical thinking really works in basketball. I wish it was as easy as GBJ just believing that GU will win a championship and it will happen. If that's the thinking, then the New Jersey Institute of Technology could win this year as well if they just believed enough. Reality and being proud of a good week in basketball isn't such a bad thing.

good one. I agree, and no need for the magical thinking stuff anyway. Yesterday's game will help GBJ and this team believe more, it sure should, a true belief--self belief--earned through deeds. That's confidence,and a nice reality to be proud of.

gu03alum
12-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Dumbest thread ever.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/office_space_kit_mat.jpg

RenoZag
12-18-2011, 08:08 AM

There are certain words the message board software automatically censors; "p0t" is one of them. . .

If you type in George Carlin's "7 words" you'll see that the censorship settings make no sense whatsoever. . .'p0t' has been on the list since the Josh & Theo incident in 2007, shortly after this generation of the GUB was implemented.

Either the Spokesman or one of the board administrators has deemed it so.

You can say "tits."

RenoZag
12-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Probably yes.

ZZ

:cheers:

JPtheBeasta
12-18-2011, 08:26 AM

Do we really think GU players expect to go undefeated? I guess one persons positive thinking is another person's loser attitude.

Bell and Pangos in the preseason made it clear that they expect big things of themselves. I don't think their careers will show a "lose in the second round attitude." And neither has their play on the court thus far.

Few has said that Michigan St is a top ten team, for what it's worth.

SunDevilGolfZag
12-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Are you serious? Yeah Ill TAKE it also!! This is a freshmen and you are reading into it way to much. Lighten up dude

+1

Malastein
12-18-2011, 09:08 AM

Makes me wonder if I can say marijuana....

tobizag
12-18-2011, 12:36 PM
In last year's district and state tourneys, Gary carried a mediocre team through a series of about 6 loser out games till they ran into a basically unbeatable Gonzaga Prep team. He elevated his game through the entire stretch to an incredible level. To question GB's will to win is kind of silly imo.

+1,000,000

in response to the OP...good grief. :vomit-smiley-007:

merry christmas

BigTymeONIONS
12-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Really? This is a dumb thread. Should we go through every quote with a fine tooth comb to find something to complain about? 2-1 was a good week for this team if you ask me. It's a long season. It's a little to early to worry about a 2nd round loss.

zagfan1
12-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I thought the marijuana comment was funny lol.

So the one that I will say is that going 2-1 was not very good from an RPI standpoint. Mich State lost two games at the beginning of the season and was not ranked which hurt as at the time we lost to them. It was a tough game and from a morale perspective it still was encouraging. Arizona, we should have beat them. Apparently they lost to Seattle Pacific at home early this season which surprised me. Today Oral Roberts beat Xavier so that may not be too good for us. We need Xavier to be highly ranked so it will help our RPI.

kclubfounder
12-18-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

DixieZag
12-18-2011, 04:58 PM
In the mid 2000s would we have had the problem of playing Michigan State in a normal non-conference game, not in a Turkey Tournament, then have a conference favorite during finals, followed by AZ on Saturday?

04ZagFan
12-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I'll take it..... Because we are young..

But I'll tell you what.. From what I saw against Arizona for the majority of the game, and at other times this season (like first half against WSU) I expect a lot from this team come March. The talent is there. No excuses.

BTW- Mike Hart is playing AWESOME.

maynard g krebs
12-18-2011, 06:59 PM
I thought the marijuana comment was funny lol.

So the one that I will say is that going 2-1 was not very good from an RPI standpoint. Mich State lost two games at the beginning of the season and was not ranked which hurt as at the time we lost to them. It was a tough game and from a morale perspective it still was encouraging. Arizona, we should have beat them. Apparently they lost to Seattle Pacific at home early this season which surprised me. Today Oral Roberts beat Xavier so that may not be too good for us. We need Xavier to be highly ranked so it will help our RPI.

zf1, RPI is a mathematical rating formula which consists of 25% your record, 50% opponents' record, and 25% opponents opponents' record. It is not related to poll rankings. Since GU plays X and ORU once each, the result of their game cancels out in the RPI formula. It is true that in the polls, beating a highly ranked X would give the Zags more of a bump.

zag4life2011
12-18-2011, 07:22 PM
I think zagfan08 makes a great point. Our players shouldn't be happy about going 2-1. They should be pissed and want to go rip the heads off of the next guys who dare to challenge them.

Yes, this was a tough week with three good opponents and finals. BUT, our team should never be happy not achieving their goal (which I would hope was to go 3-0). Saying "we're ok with 2-1" is setting yourself up for an attitude of complacency, one that we definitely can't have at this point in the season where home games are considerably more difficult without the energy of the student section. These guys have worked hard enough that they should only be happy when they win and pissed when someone else shows up and beats them.

I am going to write this one off as a slip of the tongue by a young guy who was just happy that he finally gets a second to breathe before Butler comes to town (which they did tonight- via Delta apparently). I certainly hope that Coach Few reminds them of the fact that teams don't survive late into March with this kind of "well, we tried" attitude. The point of this rough OOC schedule is to prepare them for league play and March. You lose a game in either of those and the season could be done. We should be playing with that same mindset right now as well.

bartruff1
12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
You might go say it to him....

gamagin
12-18-2011, 08:23 PM

and it was Chris Sarbaugh who led GPrep to the win over GBj's team.

Chris, who guarded GBj, got tourney MVP for his efforts, and prep took the state crown from the consensus best team & player in the state.

And, just to put emphasis on the fete, Chris played with a painful limp, caused by a bad knee injury, which required surgery over the summer before he joined the Zags in the fall as a walk on and took a redshirt.

Great story. Great gets for our team.

To be continued.

Zag 77
12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
for heaven's sake. Some of you are over-analyzing a comment to death.

Go do some Christmas shopping. You are spending too much time here.

ZagsGoZags
12-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Listen to the great athletes talk in interviews
they usually say things like our opponents were tough
I am just happy with the win
It is going to be a heck of a fight, but we can't underestimate our opponent

Ever listen to Jordan
or Nadal, Federer, etc.

none of them say
I will win them all
I should have won them all

the only athlete that would satisfy 08 is Muhammed Ali

it is much better for a player to play out or a realistic set of goals and accomplishments rather than to expect perfection
just mho

Zagineer
12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
for heaven's sake. Some of you are over-analyzing a comment to death.
Go do some Christmas shopping. You are spending too much time here.

+1

and it was Chris Sarbaugh who led GPrep to the win over GBj's team.
Great story. Great gets for our team.

To be continued.

Amen.
There I go. Breaking my rule again of not posting in the MBB. Sometimes I just can't keep my fingers off the keyboard.

zagfan08
12-19-2011, 12:51 AM
The timing of my post wasn't great, it wasn't meant to diminish a win. The idea that our starting shooting guard was satisfied with a home loss against the 4th or 5th best Big 10 team doesn't sit well with me. Obviously it doesn't bother many people on here, but it's not a championship attitude. Would Morrison have said that? Hell no. Raivio would have been getting shots up until 3am. It's too bad that "kick ass and take names" attitude waned away a bit over the last few years.

Again, from a fan's perspective, I can't complain with 2-1 this week. But if I'm a player, 2-1 doesn't cut it. Especially when we were favored in all 3 and didn't leave our home state. This isn't going 30-0, this isn't winning 3 straight at Duke, Carolina, and Syracuse. This is just taking care of business at home, something that should be an expectation.

Go Zags.

MDABE80
12-19-2011, 02:18 AM
"The idea that our starting shooting guard was satisfied with a home loss against the 4th or 5th best Big 10 team doesn't sit well with me" <--- if your undies are in a bunch over THAT, you can settle down 08. He didn't say that. Let's not be twisiting a casual comment and taking it out of context. Im sure all the kids would want to win ALL games. Sometimes, people get a bit carried away...please don't.

zagfan24
12-19-2011, 03:56 AM
Not to pile on, zagfan08, but i think your argument misses an important distinction. If Gary had said, before the week ahead, "I'd be happy if we win 2" then your argument might have a sliver of credibility. I'd still disagree with you, as I think Gary is one of the hardest working Zags I've seen in a while, but I could see your point at least.

However, Gary's quote came after the games are over. There's nothing he can do about the loss to MSU at this point, and hanging his head wouldn't help. The maturity and poise GBJ has shown as a freshman is incredible, and I think you are overreaching, and worse, making accusations that you simply can't back up.