PDA

View Full Version : Post Arizona Wildcats game discussion: Do you feel BETTER, or still lukewarm?

Reborn
12-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I feel a lot better. I knew Arizona would be a tough opponent, and Gonzaga was ready for the game. I felt it was one of our better games this year on defense and the boards. I thought it was by far Harris' best game this year. What's neat about this win is that i wasn't our best game. The shooting by our guards was not good at all, and our foul shooting was horrible.

I think the key was obviously that we didn't turn the ball over in the way the Zags have been doing lately. They only had 7 turnovers. I feel that that's great considering how good of a preassure defensive team Arizona is. I was worried about how Pangos would handle the preassure that I know Fogg would put on him. He handled it great. I also wondered how we would defend against Johnson and Parry. I thought the Zags did great against both of them.

I am feeling really good about Dower. He had a great game. Am I over the Michigan State loss. Not yet. That one, at home, was a dream game for me and I hated to lose it. But I feel whole lot better.

DCZag
12-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I think the sched until the first of the year gives us a chance to work on what we need and get Guy used to some D1 ball. The thugs from X will be tough, but I'm optomistic going into the WCC sched.

We've avoided the big OOC losing streaks of years past and less people on the board are running with scissors - so, yes, feeling better....

gamagin
12-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I think the sched until the first of the year gives us a chance to work on what we need and get Guy used to some D1 ball. The thugs from X will be tough, but I'm optomistic going into the WCC sched.

We've avoided the big OOC losing streaks of years past and less people on the board are running with scissors - so, yes, feeling better....

spot on.

JAGzag
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Still would prefer to see the Zags close out a game earlier and stop letting teams back in. Can't remember the last year the Zags were able to maintain that killer mentality the entire game.

zag buddy
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
With the addition of Guy and Spangler getting playing time, I feel really excited for our team> I believe that we can now compete with anyone. Next game will tell.

bartruff1
12-17-2011, 03:40 PM
And where are our kids ???....Where the hell did this come from... either we are a much better team than I thought or Arizona has a very weak front line. Maybe some of both. Well, Harris is Harris and had his way with them. Pangos is the real deal... next week will give them a chance to build on this week's success...and ORU was damn good... maybe not as good as Arizona but good.

Malastein
12-17-2011, 03:41 PM
I also feel much better about the team after this game. Pangos has certainly grown in his ability to run the offense, and it's showing with how much better Harris is playing. I certainly saw the same overall weaknesses, but there wasn't nearly as many periods where they completely bogged the team down.

Dower's defense looked better, but he still had lapses in focus. Ditto Harris. Didn't see nearly as much Pangos and Stockton on the floor together, and I think that's why the run was sustained when Guy Landry was in the game.

Wow, the offense looked as good as it has this year when in the first half. Haven't seen it that crisp in a few years. Arizona figured it out, and shut a lot of it down in the second half. Still, very promising considering the guards missed quite a few open shots. If this team can develop consistency, then theyll be the team many had hoped for coming into the year.

McZag
12-17-2011, 03:41 PM

+1

zagnut2012
12-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I feel better...

Nice defensive intensity, in the first half. We also didn't panic during the runs they made at us. Just held them off and continued to work. They put some pretty good defensive pressure on us in the second half. We need that kind of effort from Harris every game. Watched him close against ORU and the intensity was way different.

Great win ZAGS...

Zagnut 2012

RockandRollJames
12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I feel better. The first half was the best half we have played this year in my opinion. Arizona is also our best win to date. One of the announcers made a good point that we lack a killer instinct. Some of our wins have been too close for comfort considering some of the leads we have built. That being said, we prevailed in the end and got the win against a good opponent.

zag buddy
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I,m not sure the killer instinct is the players fault. Whenever the Zags get a comfortable lead coach Few has the players play a different game and use the clock. I'm a proponent of due what you are doing well and let the final score be whatever it is. But that is not Mark Fews way.

zagmantis2001
12-17-2011, 04:15 PM
15% from 3 and 62% from the line is not good. Off night from 3, but the poor free throw shooting continues. Impressed with the intensity and play.

jazzdelmar
12-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Still would prefer to see the Zags close out a game earlier and stop letting teams back in. Can't remember the last year the Zags were able to maintain that killer mentality the entire game.

Vs Texas w Durant...we just stepped on their throats the whole way.

23dpg
12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Versus Texas, GU rolled up a 27 point lead but then backed off and allowed Texas to score the last 17 points in the game to make it seem more respectable. I think Fee did this ad a favor to his friend coaching the Longhorns.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I liked what I saw.

If you told me coming into the game that we would have a 3/20 shooting night from outside, I'd have assumed it was a blowout loss with no offensive flow and a lot of desperation shots. Instead, the team overcame a poor shooting night by dominating a very athletic team on the boards, playing solid defense, and protecting the basketball on offense. The young backcourt showed a lot of poise against a quality opponent. I'm pleased with the effort and progress of this team.

rijman
12-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Feeling better. The Zags opened a big lead early hitting only about 1 of 9 3's to start and Pangos having an off game from the floor. E had a breakout game and Dower seems to be finding his touch. Hart played with good intensity. Bell got more experience and Edi got his feet wet. Letting the 20 point lead drop to 6 was a big concern, but the Zags hung tough and pulled it out by 11. This was good game and win for the Zags.

MickMick
12-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Most intensity I have seen from the Zags all year.

Looking much better.

They still can't stand prosperity though. They have let teams back in the game all year long.

They gotta start putting teams away.

john montana
12-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Better...boy, edi looks like an athlete. He got one rebound where he just hung up there forever....

Vanzagger
12-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I liked what I saw.

If you told me coming into the game that we would have a 3/20 shooting night from outside, I'd have assumed it was a blowout loss with no offensive flow and a lot of desperation shots. Instead, the team overcame a poor shooting night by dominating a very athletic team on the boards, playing solid defense, and protecting the basketball on offense. The young backcourt showed a lot of poise against a quality opponent. I'm pleased with the effort and progress of this team.

many of those shots were in and out. We could have won by 40.

zagzilla
12-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Feeling much better because of the defensive effort and eliminating a lot of the silly TO's

I am NOT feeling better about Sacre though. He passed up a ton of looks, how does he go an entire game with just 3 attempts? He had the ball in his hands a lot but just wouldn't shoot. Weird.

Great win Zags

ZZ

bostonzagfan
12-17-2011, 08:25 PM
MUCH BETTER!

Freshman Harris made an appearance. If he can do what he did tonight consistently - not the 30 points, but maybe 18 or so with that tenacity and efficiency, GU will be much better.

Also, turnovers and D were better.

ZagNative
12-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I am jacked! Irrationally so, I assume. Doesn't matter. I just want every game from now on to have that first-half team show up. Is that too much to ask?

primal23
12-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Much better! Only 6 TOs and a great team win!!!

snebzag
12-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I feel the same. In your predidtion thread I picked a low scoring game with Zags by 7. It was low scoring with Zags by 9. Alot of folks picked AZ. Good solid performance. They got your Turnover issue reduced greatly, that was the ticket. Free throws still need work. GLE will be a big factor in this teams continued improvment. I feel the same, which means I feel good.

ZagsGoZags
12-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Much better.
mostly we played as a whole team, a complete game, with constant intensity
against a team that could have beat us
and probably would 2 or 3 times out of ten

the game felt complete because
low turnovers

and in spite of terrible free throw shooting
and except for Harris, it seemed like we missed all our threes

Kiddwell
12-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Arizona had only four turn-overs at the half. That's terrific. The Zags, though, had only three.

Most impressive stat: At the half 'Zona had 21 points.

Arizona...at the half...twenty-one points.

:]

FGZagDad
12-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Much better...our seats for the game were just a few rows from the court by the basket. The zags had a look of intensity the whole game. Sure zona clawed back in to it, they are a good team and super tough to just roll over. You are crazy if you don't think they are going to run hard at you before the final bell, and they did. Zags weathered it and got the w, for a great win. And I was really impressed with Pangos especially in the second half, they bodied him, harassed him and tried to rattle him but he is tough and will get even tougher with time. Overall a great team effort win.

Spike94
12-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Much Better. First it's a win against Arizona. Don't know what it means yet, but based on history it sounds good. Second, other than W's the only stat I'm looking at right now is Turnovers and we limited that to 6 (I think) this game. Great team win.

cjm720
12-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Much better. Harris played fantastic! Nice to finally see Landry...he's going to help win some games for sure. We played tough and smart. The Key was rocking!!

2wiceright
12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I liked what I saw.

This.

titopoet
12-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I have not changed my opinion. I knew that a team that has as unexperienced backcourt like GU would have up and down learning curve. They lost on their first time on the road to a good team. They lost to a very upper class lead MSU. In both cases, they

The Young pups are learning each game and they are learning to play together and against schemes both offensively and defensively they have never seen in High School, AAU and even international competition. Starting two freshman guard, you are going to take your lumps. Yesterday was on of those, as freshman learn to throw the knockout punch.

I still believe that this GU team going to be a tough out come march and will have the goods to make deep run. Nothing in the last month has dissuaded me from this opinion.

Bogozags
12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
This was a very nice win for GU! They played a storied program and dominated the entire game. EH played a great game on both ends of the court, which is what upperclassman are expected to do.

Our guards played well too and this was their best game of the season IMO. Sure wish GB would pull that trigger more often as I can see him being a shorter version of another scorer that played here a while ago. Oh, almost forgot, he can sure play defense...just love his upside!

Butler will be another challenge as they are a very methodical team. I look forward to watching our freshman continue to grow.

maynard g krebs
12-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Better. Offensive movement crisper and defensive rotations sharper. If Bell and Pangos hit 3 or 4 open 3's, that's a complete blowout. Bigs had an advantage, but 18/27 combined for Dower, EH, RS, combined with 5 or 6 turnovers means the guards are moving it well.