PDA

View Full Version : Wild ride

FuManShoes
12-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I attended the game and this was pretty much the best I've seen the Zags play in a BIS game since UConn. That start was phenomenal and the work on the boards all game was really encouraging. Wish we'd been a bit more poised in the second half but you knew Arizona would make a run. Best game by Elias in two years and maybe Hart's best game ever. Way to go Zags!

77Zag
12-17-2011, 02:53 PM
+1

FuManShoes
12-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Forgot about Hart's brain fart on the inbounds play. He hustled and got boards and I guess I'll take that everytime, but that turnover was pretty lame.

jazzdelmar
12-17-2011, 02:57 PM
I couldn't see it. Am in ny. From box it looked like one man team. Please advise by filling in the details.

Reborn
12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I attended the game and this was pretty much the best I've seen the Zags play in a BIS game since UConn . That start was phenomenal and the work on the boards all game was really encouraging. Wish we'd been a bit more poised in the second half but you knew Arizona would make a run. Best game by Elias in two years and maybe Hart's best game ever. Way to go Zags!

The crowd looked awesome on TV, and the fans all in red. I think it may have been the biggest crowd to see the Zags play in the BIS (15,000). Im sure the fans helped. Gonzaga was outstanding on the boards, yet it's definitely Arizona's biggest weakness. Harris was a monster on the offensie boards. It was great to see the intensity from Elias. Arizona got hot the second half and the game got a little scarey. I though Gonzaga handled Arizona's preasure defense pretty well. Although we did not shoot well from the outside I thought all the shots were good shots. Pangos had a great, great floor game. The Zags really ran the offense well, and I saw little of one on one basketball, and that is always good.

I almost forgot to say something about Dower. When Sam plays this way Gonzaga will be so very tough to beat. He is finally coming around. He looked so smooth in there today.

FuManShoes
12-17-2011, 03:05 PM
We owned Arizona on the boards pretty much all game and got out to a 16-2 lead thanks to Elias and Bell. The Zags played great D and didn't turn the ball over, which led to a 39-21 lead at half. But come second half the Wildcats made a run by pressuring the Zags into perimeter shots we missed (Pangos and Bell were pretty off offensively and Carter and Stockton were non factors, though the guards had some nice drives to earn free throws; didn't convert enough though). The defense faltered late as the Zags got sucked in on several drive and kicks for three. But they locked down late, got boards and held on after Arizona got within 6.

maynard g krebs
12-17-2011, 03:06 PM
I couldn't see it. Am in ny. From box it looked like one man team. Please advise by filling in the details.

Harris had the kind of day Draymond Green had against the Zags, more or less. Excellent team defense outside of a lapse of a few minutes in the 2nd half to make it more exciting than it needed to be.

Harris scored most of the points, but good team effort, esp. on the defensive end. Stifling in the 1st half. Good game for Dower, Pangos excellent in everything except shooting. Bell and KP missed a ton of open looks or Zags could have won by 20.

ZagMan in Philly
12-17-2011, 03:07 PM

If we hit our normal 3pt percentage field goal, this game could have been a blown out easily. We moved the ball so well in the first half, and the defense was on. Harris was determined to score early, and he got the hot hands. Landry did well for the first game, he was very active on both ends of the floor. He will be a factor down the road for sure. I like his energy. Jazz, should da made a trip to philly to watch it at my house. Enjoy for holidays.

Zag Man
12-17-2011, 03:13 PM
We certainly didn't shot the ball well from the outside, but this was certainly the best I've seen the Zags play this year! They showed a lot of maturity out there and they took much better care of the ball. Elias was a beast tonight! What an outstanding game! He's coming back into form which makes this team extremely dangerous now! I also thought Kevin Pangos played an extremely smart game and made some clutch freethrows during the game. I also felt that Spangler, MC, Edi, DS, and Sam played beautifully when they subbed into the game! This is a big win against a big-time basketball program. Kudos to the young Zags! They sure gave us a great Christmas present!

Mele Kalikimaka!

zag67
12-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Or if we had even hit a good free throw percentage we would have been more relaxed. But turnovers were down and great defensive effort.

kitzbuel
12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
This game was won by rebounding and hustle. They valued the ball very well. Low turn overs and lots of offensive rebounds and winning lose balls. Zags get a solid win when not shooting well as a result.

Zag79
12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Forgot about Hart's brain fart on the inbounds play. He hustled and got boards and I guess I'll take that everytime, but that turnover was pretty lame.

I thought it was mostly due to the lack of movement by the other players, especially the guards. Considering a coach can call a timeout to avoid the ugly 5 second call, I'd call it a team turnover. Awesome win, and the start was something we haven't seen too mich of lately. Tired legs and some threes gave up the lead, i think going deeper into the bench would have been a good decision. Love the grit, a grinder!

bballbeachbum
12-18-2011, 08:29 AM

in a nutshell, GU executed its gameplan in the first half big time, did what they were trying to do with high efficiency by taking advantage of the advantages inside, then withstood various pushes from AZ driven by a few things defensively from AZ that ultimately fell quite short.