PDA

View Full Version : The Guy Effect

zag buddy
12-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I am so optimistic on us getting better because Guy is now playing. I loved how he helped the team and when he and Spangler were in together I loved both the offense and the defense. I think we have exciting things to look forward to for the rest of the season.

kclubfounder
12-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I am so optimistic on us getting better because Guy is now playing. I loved how he helped the team and when he and Spangler were in together I loved both the offense and the defense. I think we have exciting things to look forward to for the rest of the season.

You interpreted the game quite a bit differently than me.

I saw a nervous dude who played poorly.

Do I think he will be valuable? Of course. A) because I did see some things I really liked, but primarily B) I'm the ultimate optimist in regards to players wearing a GU uniform (especially in their 1st game).

roxdoc
12-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Looked good for his first game, got a couple of boards and played some D.
Missed his FTs but 1st game jitters in front of 15,000+. I'm happy with what I saw.

EuroZag2010
12-17-2011, 02:40 PM
i thought Hart played really well!! Its a nice team win

Reborn
12-17-2011, 02:44 PM
The most significant thing about Landry-Edi's game was that he got on the court and play. Poor shooting though. And he made a really nice pass to Sacre for an easy basket. Hart played well, but made some pretty big mistakes at the end of game (5 second count out of bounds) as huge. I like Edi's size.

JAGzag
12-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I was impressed with his speed and quickness - first D-I game against a very quick team and he didn't seem behind at all. His upside does look very promising indeed.

zag buddy
12-17-2011, 02:49 PM
To have both Guy and Mike is Huge. Mike got 6 offensive rebounds and ten hustle plays where he affected the play of the game. When they can competently share time it will give us very solid play at the 3 position. This summer he was very selective with his shots but scored from all over the court. A good shooter.

RockandRollJames
12-17-2011, 02:49 PM

Do I think he will be valuable? Of course. A) because I did see some things I really liked, but primarily B) I'm the ultimate optimist in regards to players wearing a GU uniform (especially in their 1st game).

Whoa! Calm down dude! Stop bashing Landry so much!

zag67
12-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey Rock did you watch his defense. I did nothing but watch him when he was in and playing defense. That was a great effort for his first game. He and Hart are going to give us solid minutes. His offense will come as he gets more time running the sets.

RockandRollJames
12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey Rock did you watch his defense. I did nothing but watch him when he was in and playing defense. That was a great effort for his first game. He and Hart are going to give us solid minutes. His offense will come as he gets more time running the sets.

I'm actually a big Landry fan. He plays great defense. That entry pass he made to Dower was absolutely perfect and led to an easy 2. He also had a pretty drive that got him to the stripe (unfortunately he missed both). He seemed nervous, which is understandable for one's first game, not to mention it was against a Pac-12 opponent. I like him shooting the ball too. I have high hopes for him and think he could start at the 3 for us eventually.

I was just poking fun at my best bud kclubfounder for what he does to me!

kclubfounder
12-17-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm actually a big Landry fan. He plays great defense. That entry pass he made to Dower was absolutely perfect and led to an easy 2. He also had a pretty drive that got him to the stripe (unfortunately he missed both). He seemed nervous, which is understandable for one's first game, not to mention it was against a Pac-12 opponent. I like him shooting the ball too. I have high hopes for him and think he could start at the 3 for us eventually.

I was just poking fun at my best bud kclubfounder for what he does to me!

:boxing:

:jk:

gamagin
12-17-2011, 03:31 PM
The most significant thing about Landry-Edi's game was that he got on the court and play. Poor shooting though. And he made a really nice pass to Sacre for an easy basket. Hart played well, but made some pretty big mistakes at the end of game (5 second count out of bounds) as huge. I like Edi's size.

few called time out and spoke with EH after the 5 second delay. It seemed to me then and now it wasn't Hart having problems, but those on the floor not setting blocks and running the play so the ball could be inbounded. fwiw.

Hart has one of his best games to date, imo. Made everyone better.

JAGzag
12-17-2011, 03:35 PM
few called time out and spoke with EH after the 5 second delay. It seemed to me then and now it wasn't Hart having problems, but those on the floor not setting blocks and running the play so the ball could be inbounded. fwiw.

I think this sums it up - Edi's presence allows Mike to play his role and strengths - reminds me of the hustle Spink gave us years ago. Not expected to start, just provide a spark and hustle and now he can do that.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Congratulations to Guy!! Kid made his D1 debut today on network TV, which was surely the culmination of a lot of hard work.

BobZag
12-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Not yet.

Rbo
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Guy is good. Hart is great (all things considered). If you were in the house today, you could see the intangibles Mike brings. For all of you who continually diss him, I would like to see YOU bring his game.

RockandRollJames
12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Guy is good. Hart is great (all things considered). If you were in the house today, you could see the intangibles Mike brings. For all of you who continually diss him, I would like to see YOU bring his game.

Good call. Hart deserves every second he plays. He's the starter for now. I think Guy has a lot to bring to the table and I'm excited to see him get more comfortable over the course of the year.

GoGU
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Hart was great. I was very happy with the performance he put together. The inbound debacle was a result of Arizona's pressure in the backcourt. Hart looked over to call timeout just as the ref blew his whistle. I want to see him in the starting lineup for the foreseeable future.

MickMick
12-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Exactly right. The players have to make themselves available.

If I were Few, I would practice against the press for the next week. When Arizona started pressing, they made the comeback and it is all on video for future opponents to see.

bartruff1
12-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Good call. Hart deserves every second he plays. He's the starter for now. I think Guy has a lot to bring to the table and I'm excited to see him get more comfortable over the course of the year. On the CBS post game video....Hart that is..

allnet59
12-17-2011, 04:48 PM
In bounds play not Harts fault at all. Someone needs to rub off and come and get the ball. We've had problems inbounding in the past when the defense speeds the game up. Great game mike hart.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I liked what I saw from Guy. I saw an excellent athlete with size who defends well. He made a nice high low pass for a sweet assist to Dower. He'll be a nice addition to the team.

sittingon50
12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
IIRC,the 1st time he touched the ball was rebounding a missed Arizona FT from the outside position on the lane. That portends a lot of good things to come.

McZag
12-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I was pleased to see him on the court and thought his play was above average for his first time out. Especially in the BIS. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

CDC84
12-17-2011, 05:47 PM
You can tell that he can defend. He just has it.

jim77
12-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I liked the way he boxed his man out after shots....pretty good for a first game.

Mike Hart shows what heart is all about....great game for him.

GoZags
12-17-2011, 06:16 PM

You "saw a nervous dude who played poorly".

I saw a guy who looked like he belonged out there.

Vanzagger
12-17-2011, 06:54 PM
if Guy scores 19 and we lose does that mean he had a better game?

gamagin
12-17-2011, 07:17 PM
I believe what we have seen here is a first rate, two platoon basketball team.

The possibilities are pretty good that we can fill 40 minutes with fresh, energetic, smart and effective talent, including GLE.

Santangelo and Ray G. both said in interviews that we fans should not expect too much to begin with from GLE.

Santangelo said something to the effect that GLE has been playing at 85 miles an hour in practice, but needs to get used to the 100 mph pace in Div. 1.

RG said something to the effect that he needs time to make adjustments and the good news is he would be getting p.t. and should begin getting up to speed sooner than later after the suspension.

But it will take time. And GLE got off to a fine start vs. Az.

To be continued.

Fancygolfpants
12-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I like that Guy.

Super quick and athletic. He'll add a lot on D.

awberke
12-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Man, you guys are rough sometimes. He missed two 3's in his first game at the D1.

I saw good D, pulled down some rebounds, make a good post feed. I didn't think he played nervous at all.

You're the ultimate optimist? You mean you like to be disappointed?

ZagsGoZags
12-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I forgot Landry was to play tonight. I saw what looked like a big man streaking across the court so fast, I kept thinking it had to be Bell, but then I kept saying to myself "Number 10, Number 10, who is that?" and I finally concluded that Dower may have changed his number although Dower never moves that quickly.

So I put the DVR on pause and backup and had the ah ha moment. I am glad to have him getting minutes now.

If we can stay away from injuries, things are only looking up.

Just imagine if our threes had been falling tonight.

FuManShoes
12-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Guy looked really good today, in person and then again as I watched the game on DVR. He's fast down the floor, fights for boards, is long and spring and seemed pretty comfortable for a debut at BiS. Good things ahead.

FuManShoes
12-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Guy looked really good today, in person and then again as I watched the game on DVR. He's fast down the floor, fights for boards, is long and springy and seemed pretty comfortable for a debut at BiS. Good things ahead.

sittingon50
12-17-2011, 11:14 PM
"There's an echo in here"

;)

(bonus points to anyone who knows where that quote is from)

[will probably help if you're old]!

JAGzag
12-18-2011, 04:33 AM
Man, you guys are rough sometimes. He missed two 3's in his first game at the D1.

I saw good D, pulled down some rebounds, make a good post feed. I didn't think he played nervous at all.

That's what I saw, too. He looked very athletic and has a great future. Doesn't have to be a scoring machine, just a threat.

bartruff1
12-18-2011, 04:36 AM
The god particle is very difficult to see....it might be there...but I don't see it yet...

zag67
12-18-2011, 07:57 AM
When he was on the court I watched him almost all the time. On the defensive end he did not look lost and seemed to work hard at "help" defense. On the offensive side he needs some work on knowing where to be, but that will come. The pass was super and his shots were in the flow. GREAT first game and hope to see the improvement that all of us are looking forward to. GO ZAGS.

MickMick
12-18-2011, 08:07 AM
As I wrote in another thread:

If GU gets the combination of Pangos, Bell, and Landry "clicking", watch out!

I have absolutely believed this since "Kraziness in the Kennel".

The newcomers will carry this team through conference play. I think this includes Spangler as well.

Baseline
12-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Edi had a decent first game and his athleticism is obvious. He plays good defense so mike and him compliment each other well at that position. Both brink intensity and having to high energy guys will allow us to keep them both fresh. Mike will not lose his job, but he will share time and have more energy when in.

bballbeachbum
12-18-2011, 08:21 AM
As I wrote in another thread:

I have absolutely believed this since "Kraziness in the Kennel".

The newcomers will carry this team through conference play. I think this includes Spangler as well.

could be. I am surprised at how well the backcourt is executing (AZ's guards must have been surprised early yesterday too) without Carter logging important minutes, definitely, but it's great for the team. Hats off to all those who had seen Kevin and Gary play and called this :)

on GLE, he's a man on the floor. Bet AZ wasn't ready for him, either. Maybe he can help break some of the pressure Ds teams will keep thrwoing out there too, get him the ball int he middle of the floor and let's go. He makes a great target, like an athletic TE

from WCC MVP to the pine...Marquise has got to keep his head up and be ready when his opportunity comes for whatever reason because of fouls, etc.

Zig-Zag
12-18-2011, 08:37 AM
JUST ABOUT GOT IN FIGHT IN STANDS WITH ""IDIOT"" YELLING :GET THE BUM OUT OF THE GAME"" AT HART > THE POOR GUY SITTING BETWEEN US GOT THE WORST OF IT!!:enraged:

SunDevilGolfZag
12-18-2011, 08:54 AM
You "saw a nervous dude who played poorly".

I saw a guy who looked like he belonged out there.

Me too, especially with that high-low post pass inside to Dower-wow!

GoZags
12-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Me too, especially with that high-low post pass inside to Dower-wow!

That pass was worth a "wow". And it came within the flow of the offense. I was impressed with Guy's presence on the court -- always knew where to be, where to pass, etc. on O -- and was in his guy's grill on D.

He belongs.

willandi
12-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Go See Guy!

kclubfounder
12-18-2011, 03:58 PM

You're the ultimate optimist? You mean you like to be disappointed?

Since you missed the free throws, I won't ask you if you noticed any of the hesitation when moving around on offense.

Look, I think he will likely be very valuable. But to jump up and down about how awesome he played in game one is funny.

DixieZag
12-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Since you missed the free throws, I won't ask you if you noticed any of the hesitation when moving around on offense.

Look, I think he will likely be very valuable. But to jump up and down about how awesome he played in game one is funny.

The excitement is NOT about his performance in his first game. The excitement is that during his first game, we saw a Zag with a completely different skill set that just oozes potential, he is very big, very strong, very fast - the perfect combination for the "3" and which has probably been our weakest link all in all. IF he develops as Coach Few expects him to, he will be an extremely valuable addition at both ends of the floor and a big piece of the "complete team" puzzle.

I would have loved to have seen him given the chance to guard Green from MSU, he seems to have all the pieces.

Birddog
12-19-2011, 04:36 AM
JUST ABOUT GOT IN FIGHT IN STANDS WITH ""IDIOT"" YELLING :GET THE BUM OUT OF THE GAME"" AT HART
Have any idea which of our regular contrarian posters it was?

zag67
12-19-2011, 07:04 AM
You know just a food for thought. Guy actually looked very comfortable on the court (even on the offensive end). This is not normal for most JC transfers. It normally takes them half a season of playing to get that way. Maybe sitting on the bench and watching the offense (in game conditions) will help him play within the system faster. He has been able to watch Hart and what he does and is therefore feeling that he knows where to be. Yes it will take him time, but I think that we will see him get there quicker (I hope). He is athletic, passes well, seemed to be in the right place on offense, did not look "overwelmed", and looked very solid on defense.

cjm720
12-19-2011, 07:15 AM
He's going to be a big addition. Defensive ability was very noticeable. Although he missed some long distance shots, the fact that he took them speaks loudly.

U Zig, I Zag
12-19-2011, 07:35 AM
He was able to put it on the deck and get around his man. Pretty soon he will start pulling up for that shot or taking it all the way to the rim. His defense is good, didn't seem hesitant at all on offense. I'll take it.

Therunner
12-19-2011, 08:02 AM
I thought he looked great. A weapon. A type of player we don't have on this roster and could use quite effectively.

I've mentioned how much of an asset Mike Hart is for the team and he was unbelievable on offense the other night -- made some nice lay-ups, put-backs, and secured offensive boards like a mad man. However, he was burned at least 3 times off the ball on defense and was our poorest defender vs Arizona. He put up 30 mins for his offensive rebounding and physical play underneath.

Unfortunately Guy took a contested 3pt from 2 feet behind the arc or else he may have logged more mins. The moment he pulled the trigger on that 2nd 3pt, I knew his time was up. Coaches pulled him on the next dead ball. Good news is neither of his misses were off by much and considering shooting is all about confidence, he'll be fine. He seemed to understand how to pass the ball(his assist to Dower was awesome), and put the ball on the floor as well. He didn't just stare at his defender and dribble right or left along the perimeter bobbing his body up and down with every dribble like Mike Hart does on offense.

Guy put the ball on the floor with PURPOSE and created himself as a dual-threat. He seemed very quick and powerful as well. Arizona couldn't screen him either and appeared to notice his presence on defense when one of the guards backed off his penetration after Guy pressured him. His presence is a weapon in itself.

His rebound were secured b/c he boxed out and simply out leaped everybody.

I desperately hope he begins to utilize his athleticism to attack the hoop more and make a shot, that way, Coach Few won't have any reason to pull him. Once he learns the offensive sets at game speed, he'll be a force, enforcer, and presence this team needs to contend with BYU or compete with the likes of Xavier.

I feel Mike Hart will always have a role on this team, obviously, yet Guy Landry brings all the same strengths and less of the weaknesses, oimo.

bostonzagfan
12-19-2011, 08:19 AM
guy is gonna be great. small wcc players are going to have a tough time stopping his dribble drive

roxdoc
12-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I firmly believe that Mike has a very important role on the team. He comes out like a coiled spring - so much energy - flying around, getting steals, getting rebounds and defending fairly well. The problem is that he just can't keep the high energy up for 30 minutes. After awhile he starts making poor passes and not defending nearly as well.

As Guy's time begins to build it will take the pressure off of Hart. We will get the best of a fully energized Hart giving a rest to a our exciting new weapon: Guy.

madness
12-19-2011, 09:31 AM
+1 on the Previous Post.

Few's biggest problem over the years has been putting too much confidence and therefore too many minutes on his Alpha players.

Pargo/Bouldin/Gray and now Sacre. In the college game it's a pride thing to play 40 minutes, but it really hurts the team (especially come tourney time). The rotation in the first half against Arizone was almost perfect. He extended the bench and everyone got plenty of rests/play. The second half showed some tiring as he shortened the bench.

Play the kids and substitute freely. This team is shaping up to be extremely dangerous, and Mike Hart and Landry could both be as important as Sacre/Pangos in the last minutes if fresh.

With the depth of this team, I see no reason why it won't naturally happen. (Except for Few's history)

rennis
12-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Few has always said that if he could play all 5 of his starters for 40 minutes, he would.

There is a reason Sacre and Harris play a lot of minutes: They're freaking good.

Baldwinzag
12-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Few's biggest problem over the years has been putting too much confidence and therefore too many minutes on his Alpha players.

Pargo/Bouldin/Gray and now Sacre. In the college game it's a pride thing to play 40 minutes, but it really hurts the team (especially come tourney time). The rotation in the first half against Arizone was almost perfect. He extended the bench and everyone got plenty of rests/play. The second half showed some tiring as he shortened the bench.

One of the more astute observations I've read in a long time.

Spot on.

I hate to bring up previous losses -- ever -- yet anyone notice how visibly fatigued we were in the 2nd half vs Illinois? Rob totaled 29 mins yet only b/c he was injured and had 5 sloppy/tired fouls in 2nd or else it would have been 39 mins. He was fighting the entire first half and came out flat-footed and physically exhausted in the 2nd half. It was shortly after Coach Few said he was really disappointed in himself for not playing Spangler a few mins each game.

Also, Kevin Pangos had to walk up to the bench during the 2nd half vs Arizona and literally was pulling on his own jersey to signal "breather". Coach Few immediately sent in Stockton to give Pangos a blow -- prior to Pangos requesting a breather he was receiving the most ball pressure by Zona's defense. It was time for a rest.

Elias Harris doesn't appear to ever get tired, yet he's also not getting hacked, kicked, pulled, pushed, pressured every single time down the court like Sacre. He can play a lot of mins, yet the moment Sacre starts lightly jogging down the court after 10 straight mins of fighting in the paint, it might be time to give him 1-3 minutes of a breather. Kevin Pangos is another who appears to tire after constantly moving w/o the ball, fighting through the pressure, etc. Even when our back-up PG(Stocks) enters the game, he is left in. For the first time all season, I saw KP request a breather and it PAID OFF big time vs Arizona down the stretch with securing the ball and handling pressure much better/faster in closing minutes.

Reborn
12-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Guy looks confident to me. And,yes, comfortable. He is not afraid to shoot the open shot nor drive to the hoop. He's got game believe me. By March he will be at the height of his game and he WILL contribute mightily. Ha ha Ha! (whatever that means).:D

zagfan1970
12-20-2011, 10:23 AM
+1 on the previous post.

Few's biggest problem over the years has been putting too much confidence and therefore too many minutes on his alpha players.

Pargo/bouldin/gray and now sacre. In the college game it's a pride thing to play 40 minutes, but it really hurts the team (especially come tourney time). The rotation in the first half against arizone was almost perfect. He extended the bench and everyone got plenty of rests/play. The second half showed some tiring as he shortened the bench.

Play the kids and substitute freely. This team is shaping up to be extremely dangerous, and mike hart and landry could both be as important as sacre/pangos in the last minutes if fresh.

With the depth of this team, i see no reason why it won't naturally happen. (except for few's history)

+1,000,000,000,000

04ZagFan
12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Few has always said that if he could play all 5 of his starters for 40 minutes, he would.

There is a reason Sacre and Harris play a lot of minutes: They're freaking good.

Except he pulled Rob late in the Arizona game and inserted Sam Dower, who was playing much better.

There are times when Rob has some mental blockage, or something. That's why I'm glad Sam is back.

Landry didn't show me a whole lot Saturday, but I didn't expect much from him in this environment for his first game. Mike Hart played amazing though, I know that.

Ezag
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
You guys sure are reading a lot into a few minutes of play. I know it's the holiday's but don't anoint him the Savior yet.