PDA

View Full Version : Goodman: Zags too much for Arizona down low (video)

ldszagfan
12-16-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/collegebasketball_previews/0HoyHmwFJEIlYmndzCkR_WYdyq1_T5_g/arizona-vs-gonzaga-preview

Considering that our strength is our bigs and that Arizona is fairly weak at the post, my confidence got a little boost. They're fairly athletic, more so than us probably, but if we control the key like Goodman suggests we will, we should pull out with a W. It's pretty difficult to win a game when you get out rebounded (happens, but not too often) and man-handled down low.

DixieZag
12-16-2011, 12:06 PM
GREAT FIND! Wow. Suddenly I am optimistic (trouble) about our chances tomorrow.

I did not realize that Arizona was so young and I did not realize that AZ had no player bigger than Harris. If there was ever a game in which Sacre, Goodson, Spangler should be able to go to work, this is it.

I highly recommend the video to everyone. The analyst, an AZ alum, picks GU b/c of their size, that AZ has no answer for Sacre, that AZ does not have a "go to" guy and that our guards are stating to play better.

Now I will be even more disappointed if we cough up a hairball b/c it doesn't sound like AZ is an automatic tournament team and will not be such a marque win even if we get it.

On the other hand, maybe we are better than we think, we lost to two very solid B1G teams that played their best game of the year against us - maybe we can run off the 5 in a row that Bob wanted, I guess that would be 4 - now.

Baldwinzag
12-16-2011, 12:11 PM
well, really no excuses by our bigs tomorrow, unless our guards don't pass well enough in the post. Given these are Pac-10 officials tomorrow, I'm more than interested how the game will be called. If Sacre/Dower/Harris is allowed to play physical and establish position in the paint, we shouldn't have any trouble in the post. Arizona has been out-rebounded & man-handled vs every team that features a true Center.

If Rob comes to play & is able to stay out of foul trouble, he could have a career day. Honestly.

fwiw, every player 6'9" or taller has had their best games of the season vs Arizona's frontline (mentioned in another thread).

Its also up to our guards to still play their game, keep defenses honest, make shots b/c the will double down on Rob, and smart entry passes. I just hope we don't come out and telegraph our passes to Sacre/Harris/Dower and 5 straight TO's as we did vs MSU in the 2nd half.

We have the better match-up, so we'll see how we game plan and execute around said strength.

LongIslandZagFan
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

I did not realize that Arizona was so young and I did not realize that AZ had no player bigger than Harris. If there was ever a game in which Sacre, Goodson, Spangler should be able to go to work, this is it.

I highly recommend the video to everyone. The analyst, an AZ alum, picks GU b/c of their size, that AZ has no answer for Sacre, that AZ does not have a "go to" guy and that our guards are stating to play better.

Now I will be even more disappointed if we cough up a hairball b/c it doesn't sound like AZ is an automatic tournament team and will not be such a marque win even if we get it.

On the other hand, maybe we are better than we think, we lost to two very solid B1G teams that played their best game of the year against us - maybe we can run off the 5 in a row that Bob wanted, I guess that would be 4 - now.

Sacre, Spangler, and who???? ;)

bullzag23
12-16-2011, 12:55 PM

If there was ever a game in which Sacre, Goodson, Spangler should be able to go to work, this is it.

A- I didn't realize Goodson was still on the team

B- I didn't realize Goodson was a 'Big' :jk:

MDABE80
12-16-2011, 01:02 PM
No matter...we need to rebound better. SPangler should get more time. Sam doesn't mix it up very well. ROb does, ELias tries...with some success too. If we want a solid rebounder who's tough enough, that would be Spangler. Of course HArt snags lots of boards and he quick to the ball. Whatta find he's become!
Edi won't be serviceable for a few games. He'll go anywhere for a ball. He's tough and his vertical is off scale. Bigs though, well, Rob isn't enough.

ZagNative
12-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Shoot. That video isn't working for me ...

hooter73
12-16-2011, 01:16 PM
fwiw, every player 6'9" or taller has had their best games of the season vs Arizona's frontline (mentioned in another thread).

Yeah but weve played teams already with that "limited' size and been hurt by it. Its all in the athleticism

Vid is broken for me btw

awberke
12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
No matter...we need to rebound better. SPangler should get more time. Sam doesn't mix it up very well. ROb does, ELias tries...with some success too. If we want a solid rebounder who's tough enough, that would be Spangler. Of course HArt snags lots of boards and he quick to the ball. Whatta find he's become!
Edi won't be serviceable for a few games. He'll go anywhere for a ball. He's tough and his vertical is off scale. Bigs though, well, Rob isn't enough.

During last night's game i watched Spang pull down a rebound and guess what he did, kept it high! And guess what happened after that, he didn't get stripped! If only the senior big could learn from the frosh.

ldszagfan
12-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Huh... yeah, for some reason there's an error when trying to play the video. I'm sure it's just temporary and CBS will get that fixed. It's a good video to watch.

gamagin
12-16-2011, 01:49 PM
listening to any preemptive surrender stories. No team, we all should know by now, meets us and rolls over. Au contraire.

What happens is one or more dormant athletes chooses to revive his so far mediocre game & season, in front of a large, t.v. audience, if not national audience, play with heretofore absent focus and his hair on fire, counting on us to let him have his way. Result: yet another career best night. For the guy previously shooting 20%, for e.g.

We need to play like all five opponents on the court are about to have the best game of their lives and let THEM attempt to decide which guy it really is THEN double team him on D and keep on chopping wood on O.

Then, and only then, we win, imo.

EuroZag2010
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
that stupid video wouldnt play for me it kept skipping over the zags!! Computers at work:mad:

GU69
12-16-2011, 03:57 PM
that stupid video wouldnt play for me it kept skipping over the zags!! Computers at work

It's not the computers at your work, it's the website.

Hope it doesn't mean that Goodman is changing his mind and putting up a new video.