PDA

View Full Version : Passing the Rock.

bigblahla
12-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Passing, a skill that I would think would be our strong suit is suffering.

If you have to think about the pass you have already missed the opportunity.

Watching the MSU and ORU games it was like our opponets were baiting us to throw passes which we delivered and they deflected or intercepted. As I watch our passing game it seems the Zags are either hesitant or not giving enough credit to their defenders. Our passing to often looks lazy, under thrown and poorly timed. Just shoring up our passing game will make us that much better.

Would love to hear others opinions on the state of our passing game at this time.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zag4Hire
12-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Watching the MSU and ORU games it was like our opponets were baiting us to throw passes which we delivered and they deflected or intercepted. As I watch our passing game it seems the Zags are either hesitant or not giving enough credit to their defenders. Our passing to often looks lazy, under thrown and poorly timed. Just shoring up our passing game will make us that much better.

Would love to hear others opinions on the state of our passing game at this time.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Concur. I have great faith in Stocks but I feel like he is trying to get that highlight pass in several times per game. The kind of pass that only generate two responses: "Holy cow, Stocks! Great pass!" or "What are you doing?!". Pangos and GBJ look raw as expected. Passing is definitely a concern as you pointed out but I am more concerned about the fluidity of the offense being able to create multiple options for the ball handler. No give n go from the post with guards slashing in (I think that could be GBJ's bread n butter), more draw and kick to free up a 3 ball for Pangos, and Carter needs to get back to his dribble drive and dump off to Harris and Sacre. The thing I noticed is that there have been a ton of passes to stationary players who are not in a shooting position. The result: Static offense and more passes to generate shots usually leads to turnovers.

TacomaZAG
12-16-2011, 08:50 AM
but I think it is simply a growth issue for the young guards. They are still "thinking" out there instead of simply "reacting" or "playing". That split second of thought time makes it too late. It has gotten better lately, IMO, especially on feeding the post at the right time and in the right way, but there is still lots of room for improvement. Our young guards are smart kids and learning all the time. I think Richard Fox (Big Sexy) said on the broadcast last night that these young guards have never had to feed the post like they are learning to do now, as they were the number one option on their teams in high school.

Also agree on the comment regarding making the simple, correct pass instead of trying to make the "highlight reel" pass. Stocks is not the only guy guilty of that, of trying too hard.

This is the first year I can remember when we haven't had a veteran guard leading the show and bringing the young guys along. Going backwards, think Gray, Bouldin, Ravio, Dickau, Stepp, etc.

Steep learning curve but I think our guys are up to it.

Go ZAGS

Birddog
12-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Too much dribbling and not enough movement without the ball IMO.

gamagin
12-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Stocks can hit anyone, anytime.

YET, he is usually forced to slow down, thus force the pass, when attempting to reach RS, who is not as reflexive, ready or sometimes even looking when the right time to let go occurs.

The best pass and catch I saw last night was stocks to spangler. There were no hesitations. There was no need to wait for Spangler to get in to the flow, the moment, the spot he needed to be in. He was there. And when it was just right, Stocks faked one way and cdelivered it.

If he were doing that with some others, two things happen. the defenders can't play the play because they have no time to do so, the receivers are always ready (in the game and the flow, anticipating the ball). Otherwise the the passer is reduced to passing when he most likely would not, normally, because the first option has been lost and only the second or third best option is left.

This isnt unique to JS. It happens with KP and GB, too. Carter often comes to a stop in the middle. Sometimes it is his own doing. Other times he was expecting someone underneath to be moving in case of a dish. And learns on the fly that he's alone. and is flummoxed./

Changing gears in the middle of a drive, breaking our own tempo and forcing bad split-second decisions, are perhaps the greatest gifts we keep on giving our opponents, imo.

BobZag
12-16-2011, 09:00 AM
I think our players should pass the ball to our players more. Is it that hard to do?

04ZagFan
12-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Yup.

Pass it around the perimeter, throw it inside, pass it around the perimeter, pass it inside.

bartruff1
12-16-2011, 09:04 AM
I think our players should pass the ball to our players more. Is it that hard to do? That is why they play volleyball instead of basketball at nudist parks.....ok. cuz you don't need uniforms to know who your teamates are..

Angelo Roncalli
12-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Coach Reeves to the Carver High School basketball team: "I know that all of you are acquainted with my personal crusade against dribbling...."

hondo
12-16-2011, 09:11 AM
"If you have to think about the pass you have already missed the opportunity. "

Efforts to cut down on bad passes might create more bad passes. That split second where a player may think about a pass is where the window closes.

Baldwinzag
12-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Thankfully, the pilgrims didn't 'pass the rock' or we woulda been screwed!

bartruff1
12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Thankfully, the pilgrims didn't 'pass the rock' or we woulda been screwed!

And that was bad enough...a rock ....not good..

spike_jr
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
It is hard to feed the post when the post player is seldom ready and has rather poor hands. The offensive flow is further complicated when the post player is often incapable of making a pass out of a double team. With this said, we still have way too many "unforced" turnovers that allow weaker teams to hang around in games.

DixieZag
12-16-2011, 11:25 AM
I think that our entry passes are atrocious b/c our bigs are not moving and weaving and setting screens for each other.

Anyone else notice that we actually went back to the old "Flex" offense last night and instantly scored a couple baskets inside b/c the flex incorporates inside screens? This is Gonzaga 101 - our big men set screens for slashers, back door passes, roll off screens for lay-ups. Last night was the first time this year that i saw the Flex allow for wide open looks right under the basket.

Spangler is - with what little evidence there is - our most sure handed, catch while getting position player. He probably needs more minutes.

bballbeachbum
12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
the receiver needs to get with it, too, whether it's cuts and off the ball movement, post positions which open easy passing lanes to the hoop and not just gain a back to the basket catch, or running the break...want the ball in position to score!

also think more screens away from the ball will open up easier lanes to pass thru as guys cut to open space

and agree with Gray's below

We need to move the ball around the perimiter first to get the defense out of position before we make a move to the inside.

this is something discussed here before regarding other GU teams, too, and seems to be a team skill that improves as the season progresses, so I am hopeful that will occure again this year w/ the young guns

BigTymeONIONS
12-16-2011, 06:07 PM
This is what you get with most young guards. They are still adjusting to the speed and flow of the game. Good defenders will bait young players into these turnovers but with more and more experience for bell and pangos, the mistakes will become fewer and fewer.