PDA

View Full Version : Early Track: Battle in Seattle Odds

Zag4Hire
12-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Well, that was eventful last night. Got home late but was able to watch another sloppy effort. I got another cover from Oral Bob so now sitting 3-1 on the season.

Any good nuggets from last night? Pangos hitting 8-8 from the charity stripe was a pleasant sight. A quick aside: How good did we have it with Derek Raivio on the court making all those FTs just a few years ago. It was always nice to see his mug at the line. Spangs and Hoff got some court time.

However, just some disturbing trends. Carter seems to be reverting back to his early season form in 2010 (hesitant but when he does make a move to force the action, a real headscratcher). I am not particularly fond of the un-Gonzaga like free throw shooting. This was always a strength and now it is not exactly a huge liability like some teams but close games are won and lost at the line. Also stick with pounding it inside. This team shouldn't be hoisting up over 15 3 balls per game (WSU game was an anomaly). They need to be more selective about those three point shots and it seems of late that has become the first option coming down the court.

Onto BiS (I am guessing CBS shows previous NCAA clips between AZ and GU along with Morrison's BiS winner vs the Pokes), this matchup is nightmare analytically. Both AZ and GU teams are really trying to figure themselves out and seem to perform without much consistency. AZ dropping the exhibition to Seattle Pacific and had to fend off Humboldt State gave Florida all they could handle in their gym. Gonzaga may not be as erratic but they haven't had a performance to hang their hat on or a tournament resume pelt worth bragging about to critics. Both teams come in just about even on the Sagarin ratings (AZ 81.35 GU 81.28) and that is the close I have seen in a matchup. I think I am going to sit this one out just like Illinois and Michigan State and just enjoy the game. If I had to guess, AZ should be the chalk at about 1 to 1.5 points.

tinfoilzag
12-16-2011, 08:12 AM
This team shouldn't be hoisting up over 15 3 balls per game (WSU game was an anomaly). They need to be more selective about those three point shots and it seems of late that has become the first option coming down the court.

Can't agree with you there. GU should shoot as many open 3's as the opposition gives us. When we shoot a 3 we either get 3 points, an offensive rebound, or give the other team the ball. When we try to force it inside (lately) we give the other team the ball.

If our guards can't improve their passing inside, we are going to have to force other teams to defend the 3 better loosening up the D on Rob. The only way I can't think to do that is by having more game tape proving you can't give GU the open 3 and win.

Fearlessly shoot the 3. At least it was a shot and not a turnover.

Zag4Hire
12-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Can't agree with you there. GU should shoot as many open 3's as the opposition gives us. When we shoot a 3 we either get 3 points, an offensive rebound, or give the other team the ball. When we try to force it inside (lately) we give the other team the ball.

If our guards can't improve their passing inside, we are going to have to force other teams to defend the 3 better loosening up the D on Rob. The only way I can't think to do that is by having more game tape proving you can't give GU the open 3 and win.

Fearlessly shoot the 3. At least it was a shot and not a turnover.

Wide open 3? Of course. I am talking about the large quantity of forced or contested 3 balls without even running much of a set or not getting a touch down in the lower block. Getting to the stripe and getting the bonus early should be the objective for this team. When you have a big like Sacre who is a good FT shooter, you get him the ball. I can't defend Sacre when he hesitates and allows the opponet to swarm (or brings the ball down) or Harris does his charging bull routine and forces a shot. Look at the games won so far and the recap: It has been Sacre. Just need Harris and Dower to get going a little more. If anything, Harris is going but cutdown on wasted possessions.

You talk about a 3 being a shot and not a turnover. I rather draw a foul and get two shots, move closer to the bonus, and possibly get one of the opponents on the bench or out of the game.