PDA

View Full Version : Hints of a Great Article

SLOZag
12-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Greg Hanson of the Arizona Daily Star has a "teaser" column that hints of his full column that is scheduled to run later today. A couple of sweet snippets:

"Had he chosen to leave His Own Private Utopia, Mark Few could’ve been the basketball coach at Arizona, UCLA, Washington and even at his alma mater, the University of Oregon. Instead, the Man From Gonzaga elects to make a stand on his 10-acre frontier paradise outside Spokane, Wash., sharing the land with Jack Frost and Mother Nature in the League That Even ESPN Forgets."

"The Cougars play in Spokane on alternate years, which is almost unavoidable, but cross-state rival Washington shut down relations with the Zags five years ago. In Few’s years, the only other original Pac-10 school to step inside The House Of Very Few Losses was Stanford, which played a 3-for-1 series with Gonzaga a few years ago – three games in the Bay Area in exchange for one game in Spokane."

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketball/college/wildcats/hansen-on-ua-basketball-trout-impeccable-record-keeps-few-happy/article_08e9b536-2781-11e1-87a8-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1ggjbnObZ

Rangerzag
12-16-2011, 03:58 AM
The entire article (http://azstarnet.com/sports/greg-hansen-zag-who-won-t-zig-built-a-top/article_b396a36d-c03c-5356-b4e0-66ef66c90412.html) is now available

bartruff1
12-16-2011, 04:25 AM
Unbelievable story and the journey continues...

scott257
12-16-2011, 04:28 AM
"In a sense, with apologies to the nearby Huskies, Saturday's game isn't the hokey "Battle of Seattle" as much as it is a showdown between the West's two leading college basketball programs."

I like this.

Birddog
12-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Best quote and worst quote were back to back sentences.

And Washington, those chickens, dodged the Zags but made sure to invite Portland and Cal State-Northridge to Seattle.
Gonzaga doesn't dodge anybody because it cannot generate an NCAA-tournament-worthy RPI in the dismal West Coast Conference.

VaBeachZAG
12-16-2011, 04:55 AM
We may not like it, but I think the "dismal West Coast Conference" comment accurately reflects the national perception of the WCC. And lets be frank, while I think there is a nation-wide level of respect for the Zags, most (especially the BCS guys) think the only reason the Zags have made 12 straight is that we reside in the WCC. The only way to dispell this view is for the Zags to regularly make serious noise in the Tournament.

Reborn
12-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Great story that's getting my juices flowing already. Arizona, under Lute Olsen, was always one of my favorite teams. Miller is a great coach who will bring Arizona back to the top. Really good teams play really good defense, and Arizona plays great defense.

Coach Miller said so many really neat things about Mark Few. I have a feeling these guys ran around together on the recruiting trail when they were assistant coaches. Miller almost seems like Few's best friend. And Miller sheds some light on the great man and the great coach that Mark Few is. What stuck out most to me was how loyal Few is. Miller's insights kind of make me feel bad about the times I've criticized Few and makes me think that the criticisms are definitely unwarranted. I am going to pray that I get the strength to discipline my mind after games that the Zags lose and keep a positive attitude about the great man and coach that Mark Few is. Miller reminds me of all the great jobs that Coach Few gave up to stay at Gonzaga. Go Zags!

gu03alum
12-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks Slozag and RangerZag for sharing. I really enjoyed the article.

gamagin
12-16-2011, 06:27 AM
The entire article (http://azstarnet.com/sports/greg-hansen-zag-who-won-t-zig-built-a-top/article_b396a36d-c03c-5356-b4e0-66ef66c90412.html) is now available

THAT was a well written piece.