PDA

View Full Version : That second foul on Sacre in the 1st half

CDC84
12-15-2011, 10:16 PM
It just drove Mark Few absolutely bonkers. The 5th foul on Rob in the Illinois game ....similiar deal.

Few has argued for years and years that Rob Sacre positions himself in the low post - especially with the defense on its heels - as good as any big man in the country. He is extremely fundamentally sound. He does everything perfect . His arms are wide, stationary and up in the air, and he makes his numbers visible.

When he is positioned like that, he should never, ever be called for an offensive foul. The only foul that could possibly be called in that situation is on the defense. Most of the time it should be a no call. It's not Rob's fault if he's too big and strong for the defense to handle.

After the call you could see Few visibly upset on the sidelines with his arms up wide and extended asking for an explanation from the ref who made the call. That sort of thing has to drive a coach crazy. Few and his staff have been teaching Rob to post up like that since the first day he entered the program, and the kid is doing exactly what the coaches want him to do. Pete Newell taught his big men the same way.

The only thing you can do is tell the player that it's not his fault, and that more often than not, refs are going to make the right call in that situation. They usually do, but when they don't, it's disappointing and bad for the game. Coaches have a hard enough time these days teaching their players to be fundamentally sound.

DixieZag
12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I saw that call. Very lucky break for ORU b/c (it was directly in my line of vision and we were low down) it was obvious that the defender was off balance and thus Rob's post made him fall on his asteroid but b/c he flailed his arms like someone shot him he got the call.

ORU's coach was up all game complaining about absolutely every little thing imaginable, which was kind of hard to believe since in the second half the Zags had 8 personal fouls with 5 minutes to play (approx.) and ORU had 4.

Rob does do a great job of getting low position right off the break, one of many reasons we all wish he would simply go straight up with the ball instead of backing his man down when receiving the pass.

Chicken Ball
12-16-2011, 04:40 AM
KHQ's broadcast caught Bell-Holter talking with the ref after halftime, motioning with his arms up like Sacre, probably pleading with the ref to blow the whistle. Looks like the lobbying worked.

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 04:54 AM
I turned to my wife & friends and said, "that was the worst call I've seen in a long time." CDC is right, it is bad for the game and unfair to Rob as a player. I was happy to see Coach Few have a friendly 'chat' w/the officials on the next possession.

My buddy texted me and said, "Sacre better get used to it. WCC officials will call that non-foul a foul every time."

He has a point. Makes me nervous for WCC play. Also, Arizona's tallest player in the post 6'7", their starting 5-guy is only 6'7", so what are the refs going to think when Sacre is able to post up the "mighty" Wildcat players? I have a feeling the Pac-10 refs for the BIS game aren't going to take too kindly to a player from a mid-major conference man-handling Pac-10 players. I suspect Rob will foul out by halftime. . .

Its been mentioned by numerous analysts during games that Sacre is one of the best Centers in the country at running down the court, establishing position in the middle of the lane, and calling for the ball. Just b/c an opposing defender is unable to push Rob out of the box, doesn't translate into a foul for Sacre. For the first time, I thought Pangos did an exceptional job at following Rob down the court and getting an early entry pass in for an assist or pass back out to start the half-court sets. I was especially encouraged by that -- his ball fake, penetration, & kick-out to setup Mike Hart for the go-ahead 3 was sweet as well.

kitzbuel
12-16-2011, 05:12 AM
I did not see the foul at first on TV and started yelling at Rob to cease with the fouls, but replayed it and quickly changed my tune. Defenders are pushing up under Rob's elbows and then just flailing. Once he gets planted in the post the only thing that seems to be strong enough to move him is the ref's whistle.

fedwayzag
12-16-2011, 05:35 AM
agree with everyone. What I thought was funny is the flagrant foul. rob just kept running and paid no attention. Like a bug hitting the windshield.