PDA

View Full Version : 12 MINUTES v. Arizona

DixieZag
12-15-2011, 09:38 PM
The long awaited 8 game suspension is over for Guy Landry Edi on Saturday.

Thoughts on the number of minutes he plays? Over/Under 12?

roxdoc
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't think more than 12 - Few likes to start the new comers slowly. This particularly against a good team in an important game. Still think he will have at least some impact.

CDC84
12-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I just hope that people don't expect too much. It's going to take him time to get going. But his defense will come in handy against those Arizona perimeters.

DixieZag
12-15-2011, 09:53 PM
I just hope that people don't expect too much. It's going to take him time to get going. But his defense will come in handy against those Arizona perimeters.

Agreed. I would be very happy to see a confident, athletic, positive contribution of any kind, guard his man on defense, help spread the floor on offense.

2wiceright
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
10 to 12 is probably right, but if he plays good defense, hits the boards hard, and DOESN'T HAVE ANY TURNOVERS, he could play 20 minutes in his first game.

I know those are big ifs, but it's not the beginning of the season and he is an upper classman whos had plenty of practices against the best we have to offer. Plus there's not the complexity of coming in at 1 or two guard - even though Pangos and Bell (to their credit) make it look easier than it is in D1 (even as Frosh).

Rangerzag
12-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Few's game plan going into the game will have less to do with Edi's playing time than how good a game other players are having. If the other guys are having bad nights on defense or cold shooting hands, GLE will get more time. If the team has a collection of foul trouble Edi will be more likely to get more time especially if he can be foul free.

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 04:16 AM
I'll take the Under.

He'll see about 8-10 mins vs Arizona, maybe even less.

However, I fully expect that # to increase with each passing game.

Guy wil be seeing 20+ mins by the time January rolls around.

DixieZag
12-16-2011, 10:45 AM
I think he can make a significant contribution in less than 8 minutes, I want to see him ADD something, anything, whether it is helping with the press or getting out on the fast break, I would like to see him add something that AZ did not plan for.

I know one thing, he certainly has the body of a player, I don't know that I have ever seen a man that young with that kind of muscle development - he'll look good filling out the uniform.

BobZag
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Guy Landry-Edi = Michael Jordan

!!!!

sittingon50
12-16-2011, 11:25 AM
I was thinking the EXACT same thing, BZ.

hooter73
12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Donthypedonthypedonthype...

G UNIT OF THE GAME!!!

Donthypedonthypedonthype

Baldwinzag
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Donthypedonthypedonthype...

G UNIT OF THE GAME!!!

Little known fact: the "G" in G-Unit was actually named after Guy -- he's so good we knew he'd be selected GUnit for every game anyway. Fate.

Malastein
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Little known fact: the "G" in G-Unit was actually named after Guy -- he's so good we knew he'd be selected GUnit for every game anyway. Fate.

I'm pretty sure we've been misspelling GUYunit all along.

I have no idea what to expect quite yet. I could see him playing 5 or 25 minutes. I doubt he won't play, but I'd be shocked if he played more than 30. If the tema is that much better with him, then keep him out there. This team needs an infusion, and Guy's suspension offers hope for a more immediate solution.

Baldwinzag
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

I'm pretty sure we've been misspelling GUYunit all along.

I like that even better!

Just_An_Old_Zag
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I'll take the under, dog...

sonuvazag
12-16-2011, 12:46 PM
18 pts 13 reb 6 a 1 to ... in less than 12 minutes!

Zag365
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
We've been down this road before. Somehow a few posters who are hoping that a new recruit/player will live up to the hype create a free-floating assumption that the new recruit/player will likely have an immediate positive impact vs. our existing players. Right now this team is playing pretty good (not saying they are outstanding or top 25), the coaches have repeatedly said they have good chemistry, they are facing a major test on national television, and they are having enough trouble building leads to allow more than 8 players to get any substantial time in any game.

There is no reason to think the AZ game will be any different and I have to assume the coaches will stick to limited substitutions beyond the first six or seven players. GLE hasn't seen a single minute of game-time with this team, and most of us have never seen him play at all. I have no idea why the coaching staff would make it a priority to get him into tomorrow's game except for a short cameo (unless we build a substantial lead). Yes, he's eight games behind everybody else and needs the reps, but seems more logical that he will be gradually worked in over the next several games to see where he fits. Against a team/situation like AZ on CBS, I would expect the coaches to go with the best short-list of "knowns" and not be using this as an opportunity to give a lot of minutes to an unknown.

zag buddy
12-16-2011, 01:53 PM
His minutes depends on how the coaches have been using him in practice the last few weeks. With no time to prepare for this game, his minutes might be down unless we have a substantial lead. I sure would enjoy seing both him and Spangler on the court together. Both have great hands.

zaguarxj
12-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I predict that there will be less than 12 minutes elapsed in the game when someone on this board starts a "Where's Landry-Edi?" thread.

Baldwinzag
12-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I predict that there will be less than 12 minutes elapsed in the game when someone on this board starts a "Where's Landry-Edi?" thread.

Reply (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY).

DixieZag
12-16-2011, 03:10 PM
We've been down this road before. Somehow a few posters who are hoping that a new recruit/player will live up to the hype create a free-floating assumption that the new recruit/player will likely have an immediate positive impact vs. our existing players. Right now this team is playing pretty good (not saying they are outstanding or top 25), the coaches have repeatedly said they have good chemistry, they are facing a major test on national television, and they are having enough trouble building leads to allow more than 8 players to get any substantial time in any game.

There is no reason to think the AZ game will be any different and I have to assume the coaches will stick to limited substitutions beyond the first six or seven players. GLE hasn't seen a single minute of game-time with this team, and most of us have never seen him play at all. I have no idea why the coaching staff would make it a priority to get him into tomorrow's game except for a short cameo (unless we build a substantial lead). Yes, he's eight games behind everybody else and needs the reps, but seems more logical that he will be gradually worked in over the next several games to see where he fits. Against a team/situation like AZ on CBS, I would expect the coaches to go with the best short-list of "knowns" and not be using this as an opportunity to give a lot of minutes to an unknown.

So you say "under"? I didn't say a thing about GLE being a "savior" of any sort whatsoever. We have long discussed that the AZ game would be the first game in which he could play. Coach Few has made several comments to the media re: "we are really hoping that Guy can help" as the much needed wing/defensive presence, so we have word from the coach's mouth that Guy has shown promise in practice.

That was the reason that I asked people to speculate on how much game time he would see, 12 minutes would be about the average amount for a solid bench player, I was interested in whether the people who know the program believe he would get more or less playing time.

Not saying anything about "saving" anything - just whether he would get much chance to contribute. I think it is one of the most interesting questions going into the game.

ZagAddict
12-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Guy Landry-Edi = Michael Jordan

!!!!

:lmao: +1 BZ

We love to annoint players we have never seen play as the player that is going to make all the difference. I might as well add in Final Four talk with regards to Guy Landry Edi finally joining the team on the court.

Horned Frog
12-16-2011, 06:25 PM
I am leery of getting my hopes up because of this other "guy":
#http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/bol-kong/play_by_play

willandi
12-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Any chance his 8 game suspension will be reduced next week?

NotoriousZ
12-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Any chance his 8 game suspension will be reduced next week?

:lmao:
Yeah, it just got reduced from 8 games to zero. Thanks, NCAA.

DixieZag
12-16-2011, 08:14 PM
They reduced it from 8 to zero! Starting this weekend! There is a God in heaven wearing Zag gear! And here I bagged on the NCAA for literally WEEKS, through ALL the GU games so far, mocking them for giving Guy 7 games more than one Tu Hollyfield of Xavier and not complaining that they were not EVEN responding to the appeal - then, t'was the night 'fore Arizona and all through my house, my laptop purred, a lot like that mouse (behind the couch) - and The ONE is playing tomorrow!!!!! Thank you NCAA, thank you thank you thank you.

So, against Arizona, we have not only one of the 15 best BB players (male) enrolled at GU available, but - from what I hear - one of the top 20 players in the ENTIRE COUNTRY of ivory coast, and we all know how good the BB is on the coasts, sooooo

I should probably get some sleep.

sonuvazag
12-16-2011, 08:43 PM
how many dunks on sportscenter!?!

VinnyZag
12-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Here's what Few told Meehan (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/dec/16/battle-seattle-big-bell-edi/) that he expects to see from Landry:

The 6-foot-6, 218-pound Edi gives Few more options at both ends of the floor.

“He can really defend at a high level and he can make those,” said Few, pointing at Edi as he buried a 3-pointer in Tuesday’s practice. “I think he can score off the dribble a little bit and he’ll rebound well for his position. It’ll probably alleviate us having to play three little guys so much and it’ll help us defensively.

Coming from Few, who's not always given to hyperbole about new players, that's saying a lot.

Also, I like the part about not having to play three little guys together. That lineup has been bugging me, although I understand why he's doing it.