PDA

View Full Version : Mike Hart excellent article

zag buddy
12-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Without getting into the pro's and con's of Mikes game this is a spirit raising article by Bud Whithers
The ultimate irony? One by one, all the scholarship players of 2008 Poling, Gibbs and Goodson left the program, while it was Hart who forged his own niche.

"You celebrate the little victories," he said, "but you can't celebrate them too much."

For the true walk-on, there's no rest, only the fire within. There's always somebody out there who thinks you can't play.

Bud Withers: 206-464-8281

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2017025407_zags16.html

Bogozags
12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Without getting into the pro's and con's of Mikes game this is a spirit raising article by Bud Whithers
The ultimate irony? One by one, all the scholarship players of 2008 Poling, Gibbs and Goodson left the program, while it was Hart who forged his own niche.

"You celebrate the little victories," he said, "but you can't celebrate them too much."

For the true walk-on, there's no rest, only the fire within. There's always somebody out there who thinks you can't play.

Bud Withers: 206-464-8281

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2017025407_zags16.html

Thanks for the article...Mike Hart deserves all the minutes he can get...his contributions to this team's success are significant!

Baldwinzag
12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Awesome. Hart receiving the recognition he deserves -- great story. He went from Rudy to Rock Star in a hurry. Good on ya' MH.

DixieZag
12-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Great story. I never questioned his "heart" or his work ethic, it was always a question of whether what he gives defensively and rebounding versus what we lose offensively.

And then he hit the three pointer tonight . . .

Never say never I guess

Bogozags
12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Great story. I never questioned his "heart" or his work ethic, it was always a question of whether what he gives defensively and rebounding versus what we lose offensively.

Never say never I guess

Dixie,
Points are nice but no one on the bench can play defense nor rebound like he does...so do we go for points and give up the defense and the boards? Maybe Guy will be as tough on defense and on the glass and be able to score too!

Baseline
12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Love his hustle and no quite energy. he would be awesome if he scored more. I think Edi and him will make a good pair holding down the 3 position.
Mike is hard to dislike with such hustle and attitude.

webspinnre
12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Love his hustle and ability to take a charge. For all the talk about defense, I'm not sure how good his straight man-to-man defense is. Still, for a walkon, he's incredibly valuable. GU's gotten alot of value out of walkons over the years.

SWZag
12-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Brilliant article! Loved when he nailed that three last night. It was awesome!!

SWZag

titopoet
12-16-2011, 04:00 AM

Never say never I guess

In praising his game, don't forget that he is, by far, the best screener on the team. Like Stocks shooting threes? A very good percentages of them come off a Hart screen. No Hart, less points for Stocks. When Pangos learns to use the screen better, watch out. Hart's game is not as far off as many people think to being Pendo like. If he can get a consistent three, he s there.

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 04:13 AM
On the broadcast last night, Richard Fox said Mike Hart just hit the "biggest shot of his career".

true.

clutch.

scott257
12-16-2011, 04:21 AM
This was a good article. Almost lost in there was the comment about Guy Edi becoming eligible on Saturday. Might be worth a different thread but do any of you have any thoughts on whether we see him (Guy) making an impact soon?

Reborn
12-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Great article. Great posts. I really can't add anything, I just want to tell everyone to read the article. I think it's great. And, yes! That was a big three that he hit last night.

bartruff1
12-16-2011, 04:23 AM
On the broadcast last night, Richard Fox said Mike Hart hit the "biggest shot of his career".

true.

clutch. A reminder to me that it is not what you accomplish in life that is the measure of your success, but what you overcome..that must have been a sweet reward and hopefully some more to come..

gamagin
12-16-2011, 06:48 AM
and those who dreamed of lacing up, and those who are still working on their games, Mike Hart is everyman.

He's a powerful, realtime object-lesson to every sixth man, or bench rider, who loves the game and doesn't ever want to let go of of his/her dreams.

Anything is possible.

rennis
12-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Hart finally looked like Nilson last night. Draining a clutch 3 was something Nilson did on the regular.

Keep it up MH, we need you man!

TacomaZAG
12-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Loved the 3 last night............

Mike is a testament to the power of hard work and perseverance.

Good for him.

Go ZAGS

WallaWallaZag
12-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Love his hustle and ability to take a charge. For all the talk about defense, I'm not sure how good his straight man-to-man defense is. Still, for a walkon, he's incredibly valuable. GU's gotten alot of value out of walkons over the years.

agree...hart is a pretty decent on-ball defender on the perimeter, but he's amazing off the ball on help defense. he can hold his own against most wings, but not fair to ask him to guard a guy like draymond green. curious how often hart gets matched up against elias in practice and how he does...

ZagLawGrad
12-16-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm a Hart fan

kitzbuel
12-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Never say never I guess

That three pointer was huge. Not only did it extend the lead, but he looked comfortable hitting it. I am sure ORU suddenly thought that they could no longer just leave him alone on the perimeter anymore.

Baldwinzag
12-16-2011, 09:24 AM
He went from Rudy to Rock Star in a hurry.

How self-absorbed is Baldwinzag to quote himself, and in the 3rd person no less? :o

Who cares, I adore this quote. . .lol

eastsideballer
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Hart is doing fantastic. Dont forget, there is a long list of successful programs that had a player like Mike at the 3. Not a scorer but did so many positive things for the benefit of the team that he was "hard to take out". That is Hart. Two things, good for him to know his role. If you arent one of the more athletic players on the floor then find what you do best and do it all the time. Doesnt take an all american to figure out that if you set hard screens, get the rebounds you arent supposed to get, play some solid D and work your ass off 110% of the time you will play. Secondly, he is averaging in 18 mpg, three points and almost five rebounds a game with only averaging 1 turnover per contest. Pretty solid numbers when you throw in all the intangables he contributes.
What is Guy going to give you this year as an average? Lets say 8 points five rebounds. Not out of the question. So you are telling me that we cant overcome the five points a game difference if Mike is going to lead the team by hustle and determination? This Landry better be a pretty special player to unseat Mike right away. I just look at it from a coaches perspective. If you are lucky enough to have a unselfish 3 man that can rebound, hustle and make the other team work then that kid is going to play.

zag944
12-16-2011, 10:29 AM
My biggest problem with Hart's minutes at the beginning of the season was that I didnt think Bell deserved to be the odd man out of between those two guys and Carter. Bell's getting more minutes than anybody now and Im happy.

It would be hard to argue Hart isnt earning the minutes over the rest of his competition. Carter and MM have struggled quite a bit to find their scoring ability this season. Right now, the lack of output offensively is comparable, so may as well play the guy who is far and away the best defender of the three.

bballbeachbum
12-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm a Hart fan

bam! and from jump street.

He's doing the same things every game he's always done, and I assume again last night, and now a clutch 3 too. Glad he hit it; seems like more are comfortable believing in him today and the minutes he gets, which he obviously has earned.