PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - ORU - 12/15/11

RenoZag
12-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Seems like we're in for a season of nail biters. . .

Who gets your nod as tonight's top dog ?

Angelo Roncalli
12-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Harris, for the double double.

gamagin
12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
8-8 from the line and otherwise played a complete game. SD looked good, too. GB may have turned in his most complete game so far, too. Happy for him.

ZagNative
12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
I had to go for Sam. Nice to see him back in form again.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A5GXouYjCYE/TurDCATnDLI/AAAAAAABTW8/bnpXVPsQdWI/s650/2011-12-15%252520Box%252520Score.jpg?gl=US

VinnyZag
12-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Other. Namely Hart, who iced it with a 3. Bell, too.

snebzag
12-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Ok, I'm going with Sudden Sam. Made the most of his minutes with offensive effeciency. Got a little MoJo back I hope.

EH had the double-double, but in my opinion should have dominated this game like a man possesed.

Can't wait to vote for GLI...............

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Elias in the 1st half.

Pangos down the stretch.

Most GUBoards members will be *shocked* to learn Kevin Pangos was the LEADING scorer tonight and the least turnovers of ANY player as well, thus I vote Pangos who hit his FT's, made his passes -- every one of his FT's were needed and he drew an aggressive foul everytime our offense was stagnant and / or lost.

Pangos didn't hit many shots(2-9 FG), yet was 8-8 from FT line, 6 assists, 1 TO (which everyone hammered via the game thread, yet was his only one), and a key steal. Carter continues to rack up the most TO's on the team in limited mins, nearly averaging a TO per min. Crash 'n burn for him this season so far. Sad, really.

Anyway, Kevin Pangos w/ Elias & Dower a close 2nd -- they would have been the easy choice yet both Harris & Sam disappeared in the last 15 mins of the crunch time. Pangos continued to 'push it' and stay w/in the game.

Kevin Pangos as GUnit.

maynard g krebs
12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Harris' first half domination of the glass was impressive. 8 boards at halftime.

webspinnre
12-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I'll take Pangos narrowly over Elias. 14 points and 6 assists with only 1 TO on an off-shooting night for him. Nice to see Sam get it going a bit.

bartruff1
12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Harris, for the double double. a great team win..a very happy locker room...HUGE SHOT BY HART...

kclubfounder
12-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Harris.

I'm surprised at the number of Pangos votes. Yeah, he was better than he has been lately. Yeah, he made his free throws. Is that enough? I guess so for many of you.

Harris was clearly the man in my eyes, especially since he was the guy I most wanted to have a great game.

fedwayzag
12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Went with Harris due to the double double. I thought he played w/i himself and the team. Very good night.

Baldwinzag
12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Happy to see Sam confident on offense again -- realized tonight he's a "sensitive" type of player, as he needs momentum and play to get going.

However, have to vote for Pangos tonight. I feel most people will focus on his 2-9 and underestimate the ability to draw fouls. Pangos was able to get to the line on excellent drives to the basket. Tough to do. He took good shots and nearly had at least 3 'and 1' plays on said fouls.

We don't win that game w/o Pangos aggressive play -- not even close.

Kevin Pangos for POG. Elias w/ a close 2nd based on his 1st half alone and Sam Dower for runner-up with his soft touch near the hoop.

Ezag
12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
G unit has to be someone who contributes during the game and helps ice the win. It cannot be someone who fades down the stretch when the game is a doubt.

kitzbuel
12-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Close call between EH and KP but went with EH. Somehow he never got to the line?

theman.themyth.thelegend
12-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Other. Namely Hart, who iced it with a 3. Bell, too.

in some ways, this is post of the year, imo. keep on keepin' on Vinny. I like the way you think.

Mike Hart is GUnit of the game.

northsidezagfan
12-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Harris.

I'm surprised at the number of Pangos votes. Yeah, he was better than he has been lately. Yeah, he made his free throws. Is that enough? I guess so for many of you.

Harris was clearly the man in my eyes, especially since he was the guy I most wanted to have a great game.

Someone's a little bitter they couldn't vote for Stockton.
I went with Pangos, gotta love the 6:1 assist:turnover ratio.

DixieZag
12-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I actually thought that Bell was the best Zag on the floor tonight. Bell didn't score a lot, but he drew the toughest defensive assignments, he came up with some very timely rebounds and he hit a three that was absolutely positively desperately needed.

zagray
12-15-2011, 08:00 PM
im going with Harris, his rebounding kept us above water, and no turnovers! With 17 total turnovers that was a good thing! I close my eyes when Carter touches the ball.

gozagswoohoo
12-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I had to go for Sam. Nice to see him back in form again.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A5GXouYjCYE/TurDCATnDLI/AAAAAAABTW8/bnpXVPsQdWI/s650/2011-12-15%252520Box%252520Score.jpg?gl=US

Ditto

ZagLawGrad
12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Passing on a Unit tonite. Pretty medicore all the way around. Maybe next time.

Bogozags
12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
I thought Kevin had a so-so game with 8-8 free throws that made the difference in him scoring 14pts, with 6-1 a/to ratio was nice also, but Harris was solid and missed many minutes in the second half due to those quick two fouls he picked up that changed his momentum, when he got back on the court. His defense was better so he is my GUnit for this game.

Baseline
12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Pangos for floor leadership. Harris close second, but he has to quit having quiet periods.
Great to see Spangler get some minutes. He plays pretty good with good rebounding, what he needs to work on is not letting people get around him.

Reborn
12-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Gary Bell for his defense of Morrison. Bell is 6'2" and Morrison 6'6" and very good. Bell continues to impress me defensively, and this was definitely his best effort. I would not be shocked if he could have guarded Green. I bet he wanted to. Also Bell for hitting a very BIG 3 point shot as we came down home stretch. Hart's was really big too.

I thought Harris played much better, and I thought his decidsions to pass more really helped the team. As Ive said, Gonzaga does better when we don't go one on one so much.;

2wiceright
12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Pangos played a complete game tonight, but the thing that has been killing this team is turnovers. Tonight his assist to turnover ratio was 7/1 (per ESPN). add 8for 8 from the line (God I love perfect free throw shooting), a steal, a rebound and a team high 14 points and crown him G-Unit tonight. For a frosh point guard that's a great game! Harris with his double-double and Dower getting his groove back was nice to see (both look like they're coming out of their funk) and deserve honorable mention!

Speaking of Frosh, Bell played great as well, and it was nice to see Spangler grabbing 3 boards and go 2 for two shooting in 9 minutes...

This team is turning a corner. Now lets grab the BIG win on Saturday!!!
Go Zags! :000tens:

roxdoc
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I went with Pangos for his solid play. Could have been better on his FG shooting percentage but he was everything you could want in a point guard tonight. Leading scorer with 14 points and his assists contributed to probably 14 more points. All this with one turnover during a time when we are so worried about the team's turnovers. Think about it, really what more could you ask for? And a freshman at that!

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I went with Pangos for his solid play. Could have been better on his FG shooting percentage but he was everything you could want in a point guard tonight. Leading scorer with 14 points and his assists contributed to probably 14 more points. All this with one turnover during a time when we are so worried about the team's turnovers. Think about it, really what more could you ask for? And a freshman at that!

Exactly, what more do people want? He was the consummate PG, yet people still claim "luck", "sloppy", "loose" play? 1 TO & 7 assists officially (1 assist was mis-credited to Stocks during the game). As mentioned earlier, I'm not pro-anyone, yet know solid guard play when I see it -- the only thing you could hold against him is for attempting a risky pass off a steal (only TO), and missing someone open looks. Otherwise, great game. Some Zag fans need to put down the binoculars and take in a wider point of view to the game.

Birddog
12-16-2011, 02:44 AM
In a split decision, I went with Harris. You'd have to look into my mind to understand how I can have a split decision. Very close between Pangos and Harris nonetheless.

ZagsGoZags
12-16-2011, 02:52 AM
This is what reborn said about Harris:

"I thought Harris played much better, and I thought his decidsions to pass more really helped the team."

Amen, though I am not a religious man. But when he looks to pass and/or make assists it makes me religous for awhile. Why doesn't he do that all the time? Last year he had a few games where he passed AND did his thing of looking at the floor and driving through at least two defenders.

In spite of Harris's heroic attempt at sharing the ball with others, I still had to give the edge to Pangos.

gu03alum
12-16-2011, 04:02 AM
IMO, no one had a great game. I'll take Harris over Dower. It was nice to see the Dower who played for Gonzaga last year.

Reborn
12-16-2011, 04:38 AM
It sure was good seeing Sam playing like his old self. Great game for him, and the Zags needed everyone of those baskets. Robert's game was off, and he was out of sync (it must have been that the final exams were pressing him). It seems to me that Dower plays his best when he plays the 5 and subs for Rob. I also noticed that his effort was really high last night. I saw him hustling all over the court, and he was rebounding like never before. He definitely qualifies for player of the game. He was certainly one of them that the Zags needed last night. Way to come through Sam. Maybe you didn't have finals. :clap::lmao:

cjm720
12-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Some Zag fans need to put down the binoculars and take in a wider point of view to the game.

An annoying tone for people offering opinions. Just saying...

I voted for Pangos...although he missed most of them, loved the confidence to step up and shoot more from the outside. He played an all-around great game.

GonzagaSwagga
12-16-2011, 07:37 AM
1 TO & 7 assists officially (1 assist was mis-credited to Stocks during the game).
If you're going to give him an extra assist, you should also give him an extra turnover for when he jumped over the baseline and threw the ball to the middle of 5 ORU defenders, but got completely and fully bailed out by a foul call. His FT shooting was clutch, and the way he took care of the ball more than made up for the low FG%.

Dower's raw ability to put that orange ball through the hoop never ceases to amaze me. If Sam Dower played with the passion and intensity of Mike Hart, he'd be an absolute superstar. I'm always completely confident when the ball leaves Dower's hands that it's going in, and I love that.

77Zag
12-16-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm going with Silky Sam --
he finally had a solid game which he is very capable of doing again and again...
We need Sam to continue on this path -- more weapons!
Go Zags! Beat Zona!

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 07:52 AM
If you're going to give him an extra assist, you should also give him an extra turnover for when he jumped over the baseline and threw the ball to the middle of 5 ORU defenders, but got completely and fully bailed out by a foul call

I said Pangos had 7 assists, which he did. How did I give him 'an extra assist'? Did you check the box score (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313492250) on ESPN and game story (http://www.krem.com/sports/Pangos-leads-Gonzaga-past-Oral-Roberts-67-61-135712123.html) on Krem.com?

Only a friendly suggestion. . .

gu03alum
12-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Dower's raw ability to put that orange ball through the hoop never ceases to amaze me. If Sam Dower played with the passion and intensity of Mike Hart, he'd be an absolute superstar. I'm always completely confident when the ball leaves Dower's hands that it's going in, and I love that.

How do you know Dower is not playing with passion and intensity? The narrative that some Zag fans assign to certain players is ridiculous. If you're slow, and unskilled you are a passionate and intense player (see Pendo). If you're an athletic, skilled player you are not playing with passion and intensity (see Daye). You cannot measure a player's desire and heart by watching them play on TV. For all I know Dower is playing as hard as he possibly can and leaving every ounce of energy on the court. Please question lack of judgment and bad plays, but can we please stop trying to decide who is and isn't playing with passion.

GonzagaSwagga
12-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I said Pangos had 7 assists, which he did. How did I give him 'an extra assist'? I don't get it. Did you check the box score (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313492250) on ESPN and game story (http://www.krem.com/sports/Pangos-leads-Gonzaga-past-Oral-Roberts-67-61-135712123.html) on Krem.com?

Only a friendly suggestion. . .
Oh I see. You were saying they mis-credited him during the game only, but fixed it after. My b.

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Oh I see. You were saying they mis-credited him during the game only, but fixed it after. My b.

No worries, I honestly believe people mix up Stockton & Pangos on occasion, I know I do, especially when I stream on the internet! :) I've heard announcers during our ESPN games do the same. . .considering they look nearly identical on the court and are both small, yet savvy PG's.

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Don't know who wrote this, but after looking at the stats... You are right. Our senior guard is playing terrible.

Heck, I'd love to receive that type of rep comment, its funny, kinda charming in a way, yet clearly telling you they disagree with whatever it is you said. its still missing a signature, but doubt they could fit it in! ;)

bballbeachbum
12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
just watched the second half. fun game

GUnit for me is Harris for his desire down the stretch expressed in his play. Didn't make every play, got jobbed on a block call I thought at the 1:47 mark, but really got after it at winning time

NotoriousZ
12-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Couldn't decide between Pangos and Dower, so I went with Bell. Awesome D and a clutch three!

Honoralbe mentions: Harris, Hart (HUGE three), Sacre.

bostonzagfan
12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
a few players played well but not fantastic.

harris - 12 points on 7 shots, 10 boards, but faded down the stretch
pangos - 14 points, 6 ast, 1 to, but forced some shots and was 2-9 from the floor
dower - effective on offense, ok on boards, lacklusted defense
sacre - played well but was out for a good amount of time

bballbeachbum
12-17-2011, 07:15 AM
harris - 12 points on 7 shots, 10 boards, but faded down the stretch

disagree. go rewatch the final 3 minutes again, the down the stretch stuff. the opposite occurred

bostonzagfan
12-17-2011, 07:56 AM
disagree. go rewatch the final 3 minutes again, the down the stretch stuff. the opposite occurred

i'm not going to pretend that I know exactly what happened from the 3:00 mark on, so I will assume you are right and that one of his baskets was then, and he made some solid plays on the boards & D? but by down the stretch i meant the majority of the second half and when ORU made its comeback, he didnt have a bucket to stop the run.

i think he had 7 boards at the half and i thought he was headed for a big 16-12 game.

bballbeachbum
12-17-2011, 08:07 AM
i'm not going to pretend that I know exactly what happened from the 3:00 mark on, so I will assume you are right and that one of his baskets was then, and he made some solid plays on the boards & D? but by down the stretch i meant the majority of the second half and when ORU made its comeback, he didnt have a bucket to stop the run.

i think he had 7 boards at the half and i thought he was headed for a big 16-12 game.

you define down the stretch differently than what I have learned that term to mean. I am not pretending to know what happened at the 3:00 minute mark on either; the info is there to view.

bostonzagfan
12-17-2011, 11:13 AM
you define down the stretch differently than what I have learned that term to mean. I am not pretending to know what happened at the 3:00 minute mark on either; the info is there to view.

i used down the stretch to basically mean from when ORU came back to when Hart hit his three

bballbeachbum
12-17-2011, 11:25 AM
i used down the stretch to basically mean from when ORU came back to when Hart hit his three

OK, semantics it is. In that case of down the stretch you've defined, check out this whole thread on the big culprit that allowed ORU back into the game, would you agree?

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=37138

let's beat Arizona, come on now :)

ZagNative
12-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Weird. I remember when people used to just vote for their choices in the GUnit thread and give a brief blurb as to their reasons.

Lately, it's seemed to devolve into arguments, with a handful of people attacking other people's choices.

I liked it better the old way.

bballbeachbum
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Weird. I remember when people used to just vote for their choices in the GUnit thread and give a brief blurb as to their reasons.

Lately, it's seemed to devolve into arguments, with a handful of people attacking other people's choices.

I liked it better the old way.

Guilty. Sorry, won't happen on this thread again from me.