PDA

View Full Version : rebounding

allnet59
12-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Although spangler played limited minutes I really like the way he controls the boards on both ends. Really the only guy that literally finds a body and turns his backside into them and engulfes the ball. Please give lessons....

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 07:10 PM
can't disagree with this at all. Spangler is clearly our best rebounder on the team. Elias has the athleticism and "out jumps" people, yet Spangler puts a body on the opposition and no 2nd guessing his efforts. On one possession, Spangler literally boxed out TWO Oral Robert players for the rebound.

This post is in no way disrespecting others, yet props to Spangler for his rebounding ways...

RenoZag
12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Good to see Ryan in there. . .hope to see more

zag67
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Also did you see him use his body to clear out an area for a layin by one of the other bigs. As he learns the sets he will be seeing more time. Great to see for what we are going to have for seasons to come.

allnet59
12-15-2011, 07:21 PM
That short jumper for TWO looked nice as well...

VinnyZag
12-15-2011, 07:22 PM
He made a couple mistakes on the defensive end, but that's stuff that can be learned. I bet we'll see more of him against Air Force, Butler and against some of the lower-tier WCC teams.

04ZagFan
12-15-2011, 07:23 PM
rebounding is the least of my concerns...

fedwayzag
12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Yea, that jumper was sweet. Turned, squared up and great rotation. Nice to see him get some minutes.

bartruff1
12-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Good to see Ryan in there. . .hope to see more He just makes me smile...It must be a interesting story to explain why he came here, I can't believe our luck...

Goshzagit
12-15-2011, 07:48 PM
He just makes me smile...It must be a interesting story to explain why he came here, I can't believe our luck...

I just hope he stays...he's the only one of the 'fast-5' who has been pining for home. He has used the word homesick and Oklahoma in every other comment. He's terrific and hope he sticks around, but notorious for missing his mid-western ways. . .i've been told this by many people close to Ryan, not making it up.

DixieZag
12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I would be sick as a dog if we lost him. He has a little Casey Calvary in him in that he is able to catch the ball on the move, that little lay-up was all done b/c of his pre-pass movement and ready to receive the pass. The jump shot was a thing of beauty also.

Quite frankly, I really don't see how Sam is outplaying him right now - though Sam had a better game tonight, I just think that Spangler brings a little more to the table.

allnet59
12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I just hope he stays...he's the only one of the 'fast-5' who has been pining for home. He has used the word homesick and Oklahoma in every other comment. He's terrific and hope he sticks around, but notorious for missing his mid-western ways. . .i've been told this by many people close to Ryan, not making it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't lose one or two players after the season for lack of playing time or whatever other reason. Who knows but time will tell.

Baldwinzag
12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
gawd, Spangler has all the talent and attributes in the world to be successful at Gonzaga. Keep him around! It'd literally destroy our program if he elected to move closer to his family when Sacre leaves and yes, he's been the one player who has struggled the most with being homesick(which is OK). Just keep feeding him the message -- he's got a bright future. This is solely up to Coach Few & Co. to keep this kid around. plus, he's my wife's biggest crush on the team this season. Stick with him!

bartruff1
12-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I would be sick as a dog if we lost him. He has a little Casey Calvary in him in that he is able to catch the ball on the move, that little lay-up was all done b/c of his pre-pass movement and ready to receive the pass. The jump shot was a thing of beauty also.

Quite frankly, I really don't see how Sam is outplaying him right now - though Sam had a better game tonight, I just think that Spangler brings a little more to the table. I bet he brings a smile to Few also...maybe he will fall in love, that is a sure cure for being homesick....

TheGonzagaFactor
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Everyone I watch games with seems to be as excited about Ryan as I am. His deficiencies have been caused by inexperience, much like GBJ and Pangos, so I would like to see more Spangler. It's hard to say who he should take time from, because I personally need a few more games to say Dower doesn't deserve those minutes to develop. Dower didn't make the jump we were expecting right away, but I still feel like he is going to be one of our all time favorites by the time he graduates. It'd be cool if we could get to where Dower and Spangler are on the floor at the same time consistently some time in the future, probably Sam's senior year.

Baseline
12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Getting a glimpse of what Spangler will become is very comforting. When he gets a little more experience I'm betting he has a break-out game and the rest will be history. I expect him to be one of the best at Gonzaga and I get nervouse hearing about the home sickness.
Next year with Kelly, Dower, Spangler and Maybe Harris will be a very good group. They won't play the same style as we do with Rob, but it will work out just fine.

roxdoc
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Although they overlap I generally don't think of Sam and Ryan as playing the same position. Pretty sure I saw them on the floor for extended minutes at the same time tonight.

Birddog
12-16-2011, 02:34 AM
.maybe he will fall in love, that is a sure cure for being homesick....
I'm wondering if that isn't the cause for the homesickness. Unfortunately, that works both ways.

ZagsGoZags
12-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Playing Spangler more would probably have a good effect on Harris and Sam

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 03:17 AM
Playing Spangler more would probably have a good effect on Harris and Sam

Good point. Spangler & Dower were playing together when Sam got hot. Spangler free's up space around the rim for Dower to go to work, he needs one-on-one and space to operate efficiently on offense. Also, Sam had less to worry about hitting the boards with Ryan in the game; however, after listening to all the Coaches in post-game interviews, it sounds as if we're going to be seeing a lot more of RS going forward. The message was consistent & clear tonight: "the kid plays too hard and too good to sit on the bench any longer". Encouraging to say the least. What a great presence on the court, heck, he looks as strong as Sacre out there.

Birddog
12-16-2011, 03:34 AM
I know it's common practice to use just initials but we have 2 RS's on the team. Yeah I knew the context, but still.

bartruff1
12-16-2011, 04:34 AM
I'm wondering if that isn't the cause for the homesickness. Unfortunately, that works both ways. It sure as hell does...send your plane...

raise the zag
12-16-2011, 05:08 AM
Ryan will be fine. All Freshman get 'homesick' at times.

He adores GU and is close friends with everyone on the team, which has been mentioned countless times.

He's just a very family oriented kind of guy. He's going to stick around, plus I think he'll start seeing more mins, especially in WCC play. I'd love to see him battle Rob Jones on the boards this year...

bartruff1
12-16-2011, 05:52 AM
He takes what is there ...the shot....the rebound...the screen... the pass... whatever...doesn't force anything...he can play at least 3 positions and can complement anyone's skills so he (IMHO) can play and contribute in many different line ups ... the freshmen have been a real surprise to me..