PDA

View Full Version : Darrious Curry Info (ESPN)

bostonzagfan
12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Per ESPN Insider:

"Having been beaten out by Washington State for the services of 2012 shooting guard Demarquise Johnson, Gonzaga has reportedly turned its attention to former West Virginia swingman Darrious Curry.

Curry, a 6-foot-7 Houston native, was medically disqualified to play with the Mountaineers after medical tests revealed he had Marfan's Disease, a condition that affects the heart.

But Curry returned to the hardwood after being cleared by other doctors late in 2010, resurfacing at Casper College in Wyoming.

If Mark Few is able to land Curry, look for the swingman's primary role to be that of guy who can run the floor and reign down from the perimeter. Coming out of high school, he was known as a guy with extended 3-point range. We will keep you posted on Gonzaga's pursuit of Curry if and when more comes of it."

ESPN's scouting report on Curry coming out of HS:

"April, 2010: Darrious is a very talented, left-handed combo forward with shooting range past the college line. He's really long and athletic and has gotten much better over the course of the past two years. Curry must learn to play with more urgency and aggressiveness. He needs to become more of a physical player in order to compete in the Big East; but his game continues to evolve and he has terrific upside. If he can withstand Bob Huggins' relentlessness and stay in attack mode he could be a nice contributor in year one for the Mountaineers with a chance to start by the time he's a sophomore. A good late get for West Virgnia.
November, 2008: An athletic small forward with great reach, this left-hander is gifted in the open floor. He showed a nice stroke from the 3-point line, but was a little streaky at times. In transition, he is very adept at getting out in front of the defense, he is able to catch it on the wing and get it to the front of the rim and finish. Has the ability to stick the pull-up jumper off the dribble from 12-15 feet. He is also a very good offensive rebounder who is able to use his length to keep balls alive. He is very thin and needs to develop his body to be effective at the next level."

Also, usually Huggins recruits players who can play D, I think. All in all sounds pretty promising.

MDABE80
12-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I always wondered when a label like "Marfans" would push a kid out of athletics just because of the label. Usually these Marfanoids are over 7 ft and their wingspan exceeds their height. This kid, while I haven't seen him sounds a little bit odd for the DX. I suppose he's a superior kid...if so, we should have him..label or not.
Terrible thing for ONE word to kill of a kid's future. I wonder if he ever had clinical trouble though...this sounds a bit odd wherein he can't play at WV but can in Wyoming..

I've followed this boy for a while...As the release says he has "Marfans which affects the heart"...key word left out is "sometimes" or "can". If his CT of his arch looks good, I'd give him a chance. He's surely got a lot of talent we could use next year or the year after. Sounds like an opportunity.

04ZagFan
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
My mouth is watering. Terrence Ross and CJ Wilcox come to mind. A player like Curry would not only be a great high level player, but should absolutely dominate the WCC.

cjm720
12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Sign him up!!!

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
I hope we get him; however, I'm sure Coach Bone will be on him soon enough (probably after reading this article and following around Zag Coahes once again).

I really like Coach B, yet it just seems odd to me that every recruit we start to pursue, Coach Bone & WSU is next in line on said prospect. The exact same thing applies to Virginia & Coach Bennett, he did the same thing during his WSU tenure and is still doing it to this day.

Impressed we find hidden gems in the bball world. Not to mention, WSU made a late push on Kyle Dranginis -- GU Coaches weren't to pleased either. Its all good now and as much as I admire what Coach Bone is doing in WSU & their recruitment, I sometimes feel they are keeping watch on what we're doing as well. I suppose its a compliment of sorts.

siliconzag
12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
I've diagnosed quite a few of them. As MD Abe says, it is a genetic condition with variable expression, meaning that some with the condition are not disabled. In it's most extreme cases, kids have cardiovascular sequelae. MD Abe and I both remember the sad case of a young Creighton center named Mike Hecht, who died in his sleep in the dormitory. It was one of the saddest events I can ever remember.

Some of those who have the Marfans genetic defect actually do fairly well. Ligamentous laxity is another feature of the condition and leads to injuries.
Not infrequently these kids have cataracts as well. They occasionially have problems with their aorta, and scoliosis of the spine.

One young man I found with this condition played high school basketball, he rebounded well, and blocked shots (he was 6' 9"). I once noticed his mother had long and very hyper extensible fingers, and we sent her for Genetic testing as well. She had never been diagnosed.

One of my cousins had this diagnosis as well. He was only about 6 feet tall, and died of a dissecting aortic aneurysm, which is the most frequent cause of premature death in those affected. Marfans is a diagnostic consideration whenever you see kids with a longer than expected wingspan (wingspan is typically longer than vertical height). These kids are usually thin, and are rarely mesomorphs. Other diagnostic hallmarks are hyperextensible fingers and joints. It is considered a connective tissue disorder in which elasticity and recoil of connective tissues is impaired.

BobZag
12-15-2011, 01:49 PM
It never felt like the staff laid out the red carpet treatment for Johnson, like they do for kids they really, really want, ie, Bell, Pangos, Gray, Bouldin... Well, anyway, good luck to this kid. Hope he stays healthy wherever he goes.