• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagMan in Philly
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Latest WCC basketball notes

Jake Curtis covers the WCC well:

Examiner has transformed into a major player in financial news. Think stocks, crypto, banks - if it's about money, it's on Examiner.com.

BYU may have a secret weapon, perhaps a Jimmer replacement, I can't wait to see what he can do.

As a high school sophomore, Matt Carlino made a verbal commitment to play for the Indiana Hoosiers. He graduated high school a year early and instead went to college at UCLA. Now, he will suit up this winter for the BYU Cougars in front of 22,000 screaming fans in the Marriott Center. Carlino’s route to […]
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Wow. Best conference overview that I have seen.

How has USF lost 3 games with that schedule?

The Cougs are getting better, beating SCU by 80 something (ok 30 something) and are on a good little run.

Portland is way way down. Maybe below San Diego, SDU is now starting a line up of 3 players under 6 feet (sound familiar? within a couple of inches)

LMU can beat anyone in the conference on any given night and can lose to anyone in the conference on any given night.

SMC is not blowing anyone out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• raise the zag
      Zag for Life
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post

BYU may have a secret weapon, perhaps a Jimmer replacement, I can't wait to see what he can do.

http://universe.byu.edu/index.php/20...-route-to-byu/
      If you think we've hyped up Guy-Landry Edi, it doesn't hold a candle to BYU and their fan base regarding Matt Carlino. Holy moly. They're acting as if he's the 2nd coming of Joseph Smith or something. I assure you, he's not.

Carlino is a product of Arizone and ultimately Indiana, thus I watched him participate in a few local Regional Tournaments. I'm not sure why he's been so hyped. Matter of fact, he's a Grant Gibbs clone, yet a bit shorter. He's a lefty, tall for his position, and confident player, yet I didn't see what UCLA saw in his recruitment. When someone mentioned 'that kid is a future Bruin' I was shocked. He didn't fit Coach Howland's defensive philosophy(watched him get burned on numerous occasions) or speed down the court at all, hence his subsequent transfer to BYU.

The Cougars need a scoring PG and believe Carlino is the consummate player to run a team, yet while MC had the skills to bring the ball down the floor, he primarily played & scored from the wing for his HS team. He has a nice shot, not great, and actually prefers the mid-range jumper instead of the 3pt from what I saw.

He's a nice combo-guard (they keep calling him a point, yet I didn't see it one bit). Not nearly the true-PG as Pangos and no where near the talent of Bell Jr. I have a feeling Landry will have more of an effect in WCC play than Carlino will for BYU.

You can read any one of their 7 message boards and every other post mentions him as 'next Jimmer', etc.

BYU is playing great basketball and have one of the best coaches, if not the best in the Country at getting the most out the players he has -- Coach Rose is a genius. We'll have our hands-full playing with these guys, yet it won't be b/c of Matt Carlino. WAY overrated, imo.

Noah Hartsock is a machine. He's like a clone of Brock Motum for WSU or Tim Abromaitis for Notre Dame. Can shoot, dribble, post-up, rebounds, pass, he's awesome. Brandon Davies is also very talented, yet not much of a scorer in my mind. He can defend, rebound, is very long, and gets put-backs. Charles Abouo is a stud -- very much like Guy-Landry(same size, position, etc) and were actually teammates at one point. He's BYU's leading everything man right now. Edi actually out-played him for Ivory Coast two years ago, so that tells me something about Guy's potential. Abouo is putting up big-time points, rebounds, and shooting over 50% from 3pt.

I'm getting away from the topic at hand -- BYU should temper their expectations b/c as I've watched BYU, I believe the Zyltra(sp?) kid is a better fit at PG than Carlino, who is more a SG/CG anyway.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

rtz, i don't follow BYU basketball so much, so thanks for the input, hopefully you are right about Carlino. We don't need to face another Jimmer.
        Baylor is visiting BYU tomorrow, i will definitely watch that game and see it for myself about Carlino. That should be a heck of a game.

Comment

• zagzilla
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Oops.....

"Dec. 17
          Gonzaga at Arizona
          Bulldogs continue their tough nonconference schedule at a difficult venue."

Apparently doesn't know about the Battle IN SEATTLE

ZZ

Comment

• PilotNut
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
            Portland is way way down. Maybe below San Diego
            While we are certainly down from the past few years, and we are a very young team, our record has taken a hit thanks to a BRUTAL OOC schedule... per Ken Pomery rankings (yes, I know it is early in the season), our Strength of Schedule rank is currently #4 in the country (SCU #65, GU #97, SMC #166, BYU #258, LMU #273, Pepp #278, USD #287, USF #303).

Pomery rankings through yesterday have BYU #18, GU #32, SMC #35, USF #160, SCU #171, Portland #190, LMU #191, Pepp #248, USD #264.

Of the 10 games Portland has played so far this year, only 3 have been at home (plus 2 neutral, 5 away). The away games? @Washington, @Kentucky, @UCSB, @Saint Louis, @Boise St... Ouch!

Now, do I think we are a top tier WCC team this year? No. But, I think our record is a bit deceiving. We have also played the last 2 games without our starting Center, Riley Barker (knee).

Our record vs. D-I competition is 2-7, with wins over FAU (Pomery #146) & #74 Georgia State. The 7 losses were at #40 Washington, home vs. #68 Wazzu, at #85 UCSB, at #2 Kentucky, at #22 Saint Louis, at #92 Boise St, and home vs. #71 Ohio. I suppose the loss @BSU is our worst loss so far... and yes it would have been nice to pull off a win or 2 in this group, but with a young team, Mitrovic struggling and Barker out, it has been a rough road to hoe so far.

We have a game at home vs. #166 Montana this Saturday, and then at #312 Utah next Monday, followed by at #111 Nevada on 12/22 heading into the WCC opener in Spokane. I think these next 3 games will be a much better gauge of where we really stand.

I'll take this schedule over a cupcake schedule of Western Idaho A&Ms or St. Juanita's School of the Arts any time, to continually elevate the program...
            Go Pilots!

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by PilotNut View Post
              While we are certainly down from the past few years, and we are a very young team, our record has taken a hit thanks to a BRUTAL OOC schedule... per Ken Pomery rankings (yes, I know it is early in the season), our Strength of Schedule rank is currently #4 in the country (SCU #65, GU #97, SMC #166, BYU #258, LMU #273, Pepp #278, USD #287, USF #303).

Pomery rankings through yesterday have BYU #18, GU #32, SMC #35, USF #160, SCU #171, Portland #190, LMU #191, Pepp #248, USD #264.

Of the 10 games Portland has played so far this year, only 3 have been at home (plus 2 neutral, 5 away). The away games? @Washington, @Kentucky, @UCSB, @Saint Louis, @Boise St... Ouch!

Now, do I think we are a top tier WCC team this year? No. But, I think our record is a bit deceiving. We have also played the last 2 games without our starting Center, Riley Barker (knee).

Our record vs. D-I competition is 2-7, with wins over FAU (Pomery #146) & #74 Georgia State. The 7 losses were at #40 Washington, home vs. #68 Wazzu, at #85 UCSB, at #2 Kentucky, at #22 Saint Louis, at #92 Boise St, and home vs. #71 Ohio. I suppose the loss @BSU is our worst loss so far... and yes it would have been nice to pull off a win or 2 in this group, but with a young team, Mitrovic struggling and Barker out, it has been a rough road to hoe so far.

We have a game at home vs. #166 Montana this Saturday, and then at #312 Utah next Monday, followed by at #111 Nevada on 12/22 heading into the WCC opener in Spokane. I think these next 3 games will be a much better gauge of where we really stand.

I'll take this schedule over a cupcake schedule of Western Idaho A&Ms or St. Juanita's School of the Arts any time, to continually elevate the program...
              I hope you run off 3 in a row Pilot. I was not trying to dis your program, in fact, I have a ton of respect for Coach R and wish you and your team well, I know you are young and I know you will be a tough game not matter what.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• PilotNut
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

I didnt take it as a dis... I just dont think you can draw much of a conclusion when comparing our record so far, to say, USD...
                Go Pilots!

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                  If you think we've hyped up Guy-Landry Edi, it doesn't hold a candle to BYU and their fan base regarding Matt Carlino. Holy moly. They're acting as if he's the 2nd coming of Joseph Smith or something. I assure you, he's not.

Carlino is a product of Arizone and ultimately Indiana, thus I watched him participate in a few local Regional Tournaments. I'm not sure why he's been so hyped. Matter of fact, he's a Grant Gibbs clone, yet a bit shorter. He's a lefty, tall for his position, and confident player, yet I didn't see what UCLA saw in his recruitment. When someone mentioned 'that kid is a future Bruin' I was shocked. He didn't fit Coach Howland's defensive philosophy(watched him get burned on numerous occasions) or speed down the court at all, hence his subsequent transfer to BYU.

The Cougars need a scoring PG and believe Carlino is the consummate player to run a team, yet while MC had the skills to bring the ball down the floor, he primarily played & scored from the wing for his HS team. He has a nice shot, not great, and actually prefers the mid-range jumper instead of the 3pt from what I saw.

He's a nice combo-guard (they keep calling him a point, yet I didn't see it one bit). Not nearly the true-PG as Pangos and no where near the talent of Bell Jr. I have a feeling Landry will have more of an effect in WCC play than Carlino will for BYU.

You can read any one of their 7 message boards and every other post mentions him as 'next Jimmer', etc.

BYU is playing great basketball and have one of the best coaches, if not the best in the Country at getting the most out the players he has -- Coach Rose is a genius. We'll have our hands-full playing with these guys, yet it won't be b/c of Matt Carlino. WAY overrated, imo.

I'm getting away from the topic at hand -- BYU should temper their expectations b/c as I've watched BYU, I believe the Zyltra(sp?) kid is a better fit at PG than Carlino, who is more a SG/CG anyway.
                  rtf - you sure you don't want to reconsider??? just finished watching byu's game today and carlino looked damn good...every bit as good as pangos in this game. made me look up his stats...he's only been back for three games but hasn't shown any rust at all as he's averaging 16.7pts and 6.3assts and 3.3rbds and put up 18 points in his very first college game, against baylor no less. shooting 50% from 3 and almost 50% overall...i'd say he's coming pretty close to living up to his hype and makes byu look like possibly a better team than gonzaga at this point. they handled a pretty good ucsb team pretty easily today and are putting teams away unlike the zags.

Comment

• RenoZag
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

More impressed with BYU than with SMC
                    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                      rtf - you sure you don't want to reconsider??? just finished watching byu's game today and carlino looked damn good...every bit as good as pangos in this game. made me look up his stats...he's only been back for three games but hasn't shown any rust at all as he's averaging 16.7pts and 6.3assts and 3.3rbds and put up 18 points in his very first college game, against baylor no less. shooting 50% from 3 and almost 50% overall...i'd say he's coming pretty close to living up to his hype and makes byu look like possibly a better team than gonzaga at this point. they handled a pretty good ucsb team pretty easily today and are putting teams away unlike the zags.
                      I watched that game too, Carlino can play, he took n made some presssure shots when the game was on the line. They look to him as the scorer in clutch time. He reminded a lot of Jimmer, and Carlino is only a freshman. He can light up the scoreboard no doubt. It will be fun watching him and Pangos when they hook up.

Comment

Working...
                      X