PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few just said. . .

raise the zag
12-14-2011, 11:24 PM
He wants Gary Bell to shoot more and dribble less.

Really?

First, what does it mean?

Second, is this strategy fully utilizing Gary's game/talents within the offense?

I dunno. Of course I want Gary to shoot, a lot, yet I believe he is the only player on the roster with a "vertical" game i.e. an attack the rim type of player/mentality we desperately need to keep defenses honest.

Actually, the one player who should dribble more. . .

Coach Few said similar comments re: Pangos following the WSU game, which made sense at the time, yet are we potentially restricting or stunting our best, most natural play-makers from making plays instead of just 'shooting more'?

Why attempt to pull back the reigns on Bell's wide-ranging talents when we have numerous guards who are more pure catch 'n shoot type players anyway?

It is clear GBJ is also a very capable 3pt threat, yet why criticize Bell's ability to make plays on-the-fly? Isn't this precisely what this team could use more of at the moment, & not just more of the same?

I guess Coach Few's comment yesterday made me wonder -- I sincerely hope for the sake of Gary's development as a player and our team Mark just said that to a reporter's question and not actually telling Gary to 'dribble less'.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-14-2011, 11:26 PM
I agree with Few. I want to see Gary shoot way more.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I think it means Few believes Gary can shoot well enough to draw defenders closer to him, making it easier to take a defender off the dribble and penetrate into the lane.

SWZag
12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I understand your concern. But I don't feel that Few doesn't want him to drive to the hole. Some of the best, smoothest plays are when no dribbling is done at all. A great dribbler doesn't make a good player. Dribbling around the perimeter isn't always necessary. Players, in my opinion, shouldn't need to dribble as much as they do. It's just instinct. I don't see anything concerning about having Bell dribble less, or anyone else less. Passing and off-the-ball movement are often lead to the best plays. When the ball is being dribbled, there is no ball movement, other than up-and-down.

SWZag

raise the zag
12-14-2011, 11:39 PM
I understand your concern. But I don't feel that Few doesn't want him to drive to the hole. Some of the best, smoothest plays are when no dribbling is done at all. A great dribbler doesn't make a good player. Dribbling around the perimeter isn't always necessary. Players, in my opinion, shouldn't need to dribble as much as they do. It's just instinct. I don't see anything concerning about having Bell dribble less, or anyone else less. Passing and off-the-ball movement are often lead to the best plays. When the ball is being dribbled, there is no ball movement, other than up-and-down.

SWZag

This comforts me. Good point, thanks. It can be tough to interpret Coach Few's intent behind his words considering his expression/emotion never waivers to the media, especially local outlets -- a bit curmudgeonly on occasion. Just thought it was interesting...

HOOTER
12-15-2011, 12:22 AM
This comforts me. Good point, thanks. It can be tough to interpret Coach Few's intent behind his words considering his expression/emotion never waivers to the media, especially local outlets -- a bit curmudgeonly on occasion. Just thought it was interesting...

It may sound simplistic, but looking back on one of my son's recent basketball practices, coach was teaching the players to advance the ball down court without dribbling. Not even once. This is an important and often overlooked aspect to the game of basketball. If you can master the art of advancing the ball down court with minimal dribbling, you will outsmart and out-quick your opponent every time. This requires excellent court vision, which is a skill I believe (and more importantly, Few believes) Bell possesses.

awberke
12-15-2011, 12:27 AM
See i disagree with this point. Take pangos for instance, hits 9 threes in a game, coach no doubt tells him to shoot more. So what has he been doing the last few games but taking deeper, defended shots. Get him the ball open, he nails it.

To get clean looks from the three you either need someone penetrating (who can also believably finish at the rim) or a big drawing D and kicking out.

I think Gary needs to be that perpetrator. If he can do that, he can jab and shoot or pull up after a pick. We have too many players that are purely spot up. If the defense doesn't believe you can take it to the hole, they can guard you close.\

Edit: I know this is reading into his comment too much but i still think its valid regarding GBJ's role.

Reborn
12-15-2011, 05:27 AM
I sincerely doubt that Few is talking about Bell's penetrating drives to the basket. I think he's talking about when Gary comes off a screen to look for his shot more instead of dribbling and passing to the next player. I agree that Few is talking about his dribbling down the sidelines in transition rather than passing the ball upcourt. Gary's turnovers have mostly been on the sidelines after he has brought the ball up court.

I'm looking for a 20 point game tonight.

duper
12-15-2011, 07:20 AM
What he probably means is to stop catching the ball and dribbling right away. It limits your options and is just poor basketball. You see it a lot with kids who have been better than everybody their whole life. The options they eliminate doesn't hurt them because they are capable of using any option they want. Against tougher competition you want to keep all your options open. Dribbling and penetrating are not the same thing. A solid player should be able to score from the wing with one or two dribbles, save the six dribble one on one moves for the NBA and isolations late in the clock.

When to dribble

1 Score,ie, improve shot or penetrate to the basket 1,2 or 3 dribbles usually
2 improve passing angle to post player
3 Get out of trouble or reset the offense
4 Attack gaps in the zone and draw 2 defenders.(drive and kick)

Not much need for any other dribbling unless the offense has broke down and its late in shot clock or end of half.

LongIslandZagFan
12-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Once you dribble.... You take away one option... Your only option is to pick your dribble up. Then you have taken another one away... Leaving only passing or shooting. I get what Few is saying on this.

He can hit from outside. What I have seen with Pangos is that they defending tightly on the outside... So he has been penetrating instead. IMHO... If GBJ can draw defenders out to respect his outside shot... It will do wonders for his penetration capabilities. But gotta warrant the pressure first... Think that is what Few is looking for. Catch and shoot off screens.

maineblackbear
12-15-2011, 07:37 AM
bobby knight always used to admonish his players to never dribble-- he sat players if they dribbled before passing. i am with few on this one--dribble less, shoot more. gbj is really going to be something. seriously.

GoZAGsMang
12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
If the defense sags off of GBJ its more difficult for the rest of the team to score(think Meech when his man always left to double).

The more we spread the floor the easier it will be for our bigs to score, it will be easier to get bigs the ball, and bam its easier for GBJ to attack the rim if they have to respect the deep ball.

And as Pangos already knows 3s taste better than bacon.

GoZAGsMang

Drew
12-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Isn't GBJ one of the players who kept dribbling into trouble against MSU? If so, I hope he stops that. Otherwise, he is on track to be a great Zag.

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 08:14 AM
one star already?

I apologize for sharing a legitimate concern & deciding to openly share with this board, which I believe is the most equipped to answer said question/concern.

If you don't like the quote, fine, yet the rest of the post may potentially be worth open discussion as well.

whomever is one-starring threads, I'd implore you ask yourself what have you done to contribute lately?

geez.

carry on.

rennis
12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Isn't GBJ one of the players who kept dribbling into trouble against MSU? If so, I hope he stops that. Otherwise, he is on track to be a great Zag.

It wasn't just MSU. He did the same against Illinois and a few other opponents too.

GBJ is still figuring out the speed with which gaps and holes in the lanes close in the college game. I've seen it several times. He'll be a great slasher once he adjusts to the college speed and picks his openings rather than forcing them.

bballbeachbum
12-15-2011, 08:31 AM
It wasn't just MSU. He did the same against Illinois and a few other opponents too.

GBJ is still figuring out the speed with which gaps and holes in the lanes close in the college game. I've seen it several times. He'll be a great slasher once he adjusts to the college speed and picks his openings rather than forcing them.

+1

gamagin
12-15-2011, 09:18 AM

spot on

hooter73
12-15-2011, 09:24 AM
It makes sense to dribble less but somehow I hope that translates to GBJ as "score more"

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Appreciate everyone's responses and viewpoints regarding GBJ & Coach Few's comments.

Very helpful and interesting. Thanks again.

zag944
12-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Gary Bell has been getting a lot of points, but at the same time, he is one of several players that doesnt really play as if he is looking to score. That is fine in the case of many of our players, but there is a lot Bell can do for us.

Gary is mainly getting hustle points and good looks from three point land. This is great, but I think Few is just indicating that he is capable of much more and will be given the go-ahead to do more. It's exciting.

Reborn
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Don't worry about it Rennis. Last year, for some reasosn, someone gave me a one star for almost every thread I wrote. Sometimes a two. Just hope you don't reach my status. It's really not that muchfun. But I try to stay above it. But I definitely don't start threads as much any more. Leave it to those who know more about the game of basketball.

rennis
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Don't worry about it Rennis. Last year, for some reasosn, someone gave me a one star for almost every thread I wrote. Sometimes a two. Just hope you don't reach my status. It's really not that muchfun. But I try to stay above it. But I definitely don't start threads as much any more. Leave it to those who know more about the game of basketball.

haha, I am genuinely confused by this post!

:headscratcher:

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 02:31 PM
haha, I am genuinely confused by this post!

:headscratcher:

I believe RB thinks I'm you or that you are me or that we're one in the same, I dunno. He saw an "r" in the name and responded I suppose.

:cheers:

Just win, beat ORU!

Vanzagger
12-15-2011, 03:35 PM
give him the ball

get the hell out of the way

Focus more on defense.

Warning....you'll go further in March so higher expectations of course.....more kids get drafted so more kids leave early so the streak could come to an end sooner.