PDA

View Full Version : Jim Meehan Preview

ID ZAGFAN
12-14-2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/dec/14/few-concerned-about-timing-thursdays-game/

It’s evident in Mark Few’s cautionary words.

Gonzaga’s men’s basketball coach has a list of concerns about Thursday night’s home matchup with Oral Roberts, leading off with the fact that the Golden Eagles, preseason favorites in the Summit League, are a talented team.

“Anytime a team returns six starters, a veteran team that is athletic and physical, that would scare me on the first day of the season or the last,” Few said. “Stack that in with Finals and bunch of my guys have never taking college Finals before, how they’re getting through those, getting rest and taking care of themselves, it’s going to be a challenge.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Six starters? No wonder they're picked to win their league - they have an extra man on the court!

Reborn
12-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't believe I've ever heard a coach using the act of studying and taking exams as a reason for losing. WE hear this same excuse every year. I wish Few would come up with something new and show a little creativity. Not only in his interviews but with they way his players play. The team is STAGNENT. In basketball that means players are standing around while certain players go one on one.

DixieZag
12-14-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't believe I've ever heard a coach using the act of studying and taking exams as a reason for losing. WE hear this same excuse every year. I wish Few would come up with something new and show a little creativity. Not only in his interviews but with they way his players play. The team is STAGNENT. In basketball that means players are standing around while certain players go one on one.

I love ya Reborn, but I think you are reaching here. Quite literally, the sage advice from "Bull Durham" - "Cliches are your friend" really does apply to "coachspeak". I would much rather Few say "the usual" than say something substantive.

Plus, I just don't see the connection between the cliches and the diversity on offense.

I think it actually speaks to something special about GU that he has guys that care about their finals - do you think that the Kentucky players even see their final exam in Miniture Golf Course Management - Recreational Ed 121?

Reborn
12-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm glad they care about their finals. They should. But why are finals a distraction. If we had been travelling after finals like we usually do, then I would agree. But they are at home in their dorms or apartments.

roxdoc
12-14-2011, 07:24 PM
+1 to everything you said.

Angelo Roncalli
12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm glad they care about their finals. They should. But why are finals a distraction. If we had been travelling after finals like we usually do, then I would agree. But they are at home in their dorms or apartments.

Finals are a distraction because there are 4 freshman (Dranginis, Sarbaugh, Bell & Pangos) and 1 JC transfer who have never taken a university final before (summer school finals don't count, in my view). More stress, more diversion of focus, more loss of sleep, schedule adjustments, etc. Add to that the finals are taking place at a time when the team is playing two games in 3 days and have a travel day (albeit from Spokane to Seattle) in between. Sounds like a reasonable concern to me.

btzag
12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Finals are a distraction because there are 4 freshman (Dranginis, Sarbaugh, Bell & Pangos) and 1 JC transfer who have never taken a university final before (summer school finals don't count, in my view). More stress, more diversion of focus, more loss of sleep, schedule adjustments, etc. Add to that the finals are taking place at a time when the team is playing two games in 3 days and have a travel day (albeit from Spokane to Seattle) in between. Sounds like a reasonable concern to me.

Yup, I agree with this.

Does everyone remember their first semester of college? It's a whirlwind and then add in the high level basketball aspect with the travel, got to be tough. It is definitely a distraction but this group has to be itching for a win and I think they'll take it out on ORU.

Reborn
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Something happens to a basketball player when he/she comes out of the lockerroom and comes onto the court and he hears all those cheers. The human being in transformed in that moment, and he transcends whatever barriers may appear to bother him or distract him. When a player hits the court and the ball in tossed up into the air by the referee he is becomes someone else. He is more than human. He is not just a student. He's a Zag basketball player. And then the game begins and there is nothing in his mind but the passion of playing basketball and competing.

I think the two losses, one to Illinois and one to Michigan St, will be more of a motivating factor then the finals will be a distraction. I can almost feel the passion that is rising in our Zags for the game tomorrow night. I'm so excited because I THINK we are going to see something special.

SWZag
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Something happens to a basketball player when he/she comes out of the lockerroom and comes onto the court and he hears all those cheers. The human being in transformed in that moment, and he transcends whatever barriers may appear to bother him or distract him. When a player hits the court and the ball in tossed up into the air by the referee he is becomes someone else. He is more than human. He is not just a student. He's a Zag basketball player. And then the game begins and there is nothing in his mind but the passion of playing basketball and competing.

I think the two losses, one to Illinois and one to Michigan St, will be more of a motivating factor then the finals will be a distraction. I can almost feel the passion that is rising in our Zags for the game tomorrow night. I'm so excited because I THINK we are going to see something special.

Reborn, by your statements, it sounds like the team doesn't need to practice during the week. Nothing matters when the players get onto the court for a game. Games are just a percentage of the work that goes into them. Is it a waste of time to study game film? Because then the players get on the floor the lights turn on and all is well? No, there are many aspects of the game that take place off the court and away from the crowd and bright lights. Studying, exams, disruptions all change the preparation for the game. Thinking about a math test instead of focusing on your opponents attributes. Worried about exams during shoot arounds. All these things distract from your ability to prepare. And lack of preparation often leads to poor performance. It's all tied to together, especially for an 18 year old.

SWZag

upan8th
12-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Reborn, what is there left to say. If cliches had wings, and I don't doubt for a second that you think they must, your posts would soar so high they would be invisible to us on earth, up there knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door.

I would just ask of you one thing: Do you not see inconsistency between your every game blissful pregame predictions (which actually sound alot like exhortations) and your postgame (after losses) harsh criticism of players and coaching?

How about a more reasoned approach in which you, 1) take into account, each game, the coaches' assessments and concerns, 2) the ability and ranking of the opponent, 3) any unique circumstances that may attend the game.

I certainly hope that the "excitement" and "passion" you feel for "our Zags" is reciprocated by what? A 30 pt win against ORU? But you shouldn't project YOUR desired outcome with the game's actual results and despair if "we" only win by a bucket, or, Lord forbid, lose the game.

After listening to the coaches' concerns, I see ORU as a trap game which the team might well overlook while focusing on UofA Saturday in Seattle. I believe "we" are a young team struggling for Senior leadership and with reduced expectations. A W on Thursday, of any margin, will be a welcome holiday gift. You've said what you expect Reborn. What will you accept?

Reborn
12-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Reborn, by your statements, it sounds like the team doesn't need to practice during the week. Nothing matters when the players get onto the court for a game. SWZag

Well! I will say one thing. I didn't mean to say that! If you want to read that into what I said I guess it's okay. I was simply saying that I think that when the Zags run out onto the court tonight at 5:40, I doubt that they will be thinking of finals. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they play tonight.

LongIslandZagFan
12-15-2011, 06:42 AM
Huh? Tell you what... When I walked out of a final, I was almost always more nervous about it than I was before I took it. It's only the culmination of what they had been working for all semester... And yet it's supposed to be forgotten about? It is a major deal and yes it is a distraction, but a positive necessary one. They are human beings... Not robots. It's like saying that they could have a death in the family... But when they walk on the court they'd just forget all about it... Because they are expected to do that. Not saying that the two things are equivalent in severity... But the point is... You can't expect them to just disregard their own emotions.

Reborn
12-15-2011, 06:53 AM
I think it's a stretch to compare finals to a death in the family. And yet I knew someone would use that as an example. But I didn't think it'd be you LIZF. And if you think that being that being a great athlete doesn't include blocking out adverse circumstances than thats ok. I respect your opinion. But if you understood the kind of fucus that is requiered of a good athlete then I think you'd understand that disciplinning emotions (not killing them or being a robot as you infer I said) and all outside influences is a big part in the making of an athlete.

But Im getting tired of this argument. And I GIVE UP. You all win.....Go Zags!!!!!!

LongIslandZagFan
12-15-2011, 07:08 AM
I think it's a stretch to compare finals to a death in the family. And yet I knew someone would use that as an example. But I didn't think it'd be you LIZF. And if you think that being that being a great athlete doesn't include blocking out adverse circumstances than thats ok. I respect your opinion. But if you understood the kind of fucus that is requiered of a good athlete then I think you'd understand that disciplinning emotions (not killing them or being a robot as you infer I said) and all outside influences is a big part in the making of an athlete.

But Im getting tired of this argument. And I GIVE UP. You all win.....Go Zags!!!!!!

You mean like Tiger Woods? Did he shut everything off? He is a great athlete. What you are expecting borders on silly. You also decided to blow off the fact that I said they weren't equivalent... Convenient.

U Zig, I Zag
12-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Six starters? No wonder they're picked to win their league - they have an extra man on the court!

Was coming here to say the same thing ;)

We only played 4 last year (according to some). This would have been a blowout last year...6 on 4?!?!

Zag4Hire
12-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Finals debate aside, I am more worried about where this game is situated. Sandwiched in between MSU and BiS should always make you worried. These games always seem to be closer than expected. Which usually means the starters are out there longer than they should be and that opens the door for all kinds of bad stuff. If you recall the Georgia game from a years back when Pargo was on a breakaway and took a cheapshot in the back from an opposing player, you know what I mean. Luckily nothing happened but I think most people held their breath. I am not insinuating that Oral Bob is dirty but just highlighting the uncertainty that comes with every game.

OK-ZagFan
12-15-2011, 07:59 AM

I think you left off Spangler as a Fresh, so we have 5 Fresh.

rennis
12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I have no doubt that our student-athletes take their studies seriously and are stressing over their finals.

I also have no doubt that they're thinking a lot more about this game than they are their final exam in History of Western Civilization 101...

Reborn
12-15-2011, 03:50 PM
You mean like Tiger Woods? Did he shut everything off? He is a great athlete. What you are expecting borders on silly. You also decided to blow off the fact that I said they weren't equivalent... Convenient.

Why should I continue with the argument, LIZF? All you will do is use another extreme example of someone who had a major crisis in their life (like a death in the family or becoming aware that you might be a sex addict). I would not put taking finals in the same category as those, and so you are hell-bent on proving me wrong. If you don't think that being a good athlete includes being able to get get focussed before a game and stay focussed throughoutit, then you are entitled to that opinion. Who knows you might be right. We'll see tonight.

Oh by the way I was running out of time and had to get back to my classroom. I was on a break when I wrote the last post.

raise the zag
12-15-2011, 04:27 PM
If they lose tonight & mention finals as an excuse -- we'd all say "huh? Seriously?". So, I think both parties have good points. It is, in fact, a terrible excuse, yet maybe a justification if they struggle? Point is, I don't like ANY excuses thus it is difficult for me to empathize as I worked 3 jobs, took 18 credits a semester, balanced life, relationships, losing a Father, dealing w/a drug addicted Sibling, a Mother who had 3 heart attacks ALL during my time as Gonzaga student, and still graduated in 4 yrs with honors. I never once mentioned finals as not being 'up to par' on my job(s) or my personal life. Get over it. You perform or you don't perform -- not in betweens in my world. We all have "excuses" if we so choose...

zag buddy
12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I agree with reborn. Once you walk on the court you have target focus and nothing else matters or exists. The finals may be a great motivator for their focus tonight. We will watch the game and see. Go Zags