PDA

View Full Version : Bell's Defense (News Tribune)

SWZag
12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Gary Bell Jr. earns praise for his defense at Gonzaga (http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/12/14/1944546/shooter-stopper.html)

What separates Bell from the typical freshman guard at any college is the fact that he (a) can play defense and (b) likes to play defense.

SWZag

Baldwinzag
12-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Good article.

Every time I've heard Gary interviewed, he mentions defense first. He continually says, "if I play great defense, my offense will take care of itself", or "I want to provide a defensive spark for the team" and more...

If he maintains his defensive focus, the "higher ups" are going to notice sooner or later -- he's going to make a name for himself on "D", and he's right, his offense will certainly take care of itself.

GBJ is a stud and we're lucky to have him as a Zag. A tremendous player, person, and teammate from what I've seen.

zagfan24
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
GBJ's defense reminds me of watching Jerel McNeal at Marquette. It all begins with incredible footwork, perfect body positioning, and, of course, a high level of intensity on every possession.

He sounds like a tremendous role model, to boot. Zags are very fortunate to have him.

MDABE80
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
This kid is an incredible asset. VERY well raised! Soft spoken and he performs every day. He's an 18-ppg kid by next year. His defense is likely the best we have. As a young man though, he's a pearl. I hope Few turns him loose. He's been the most consistent kid on the team.

Baldwinzag
12-14-2011, 09:23 AM
He's been the most consistent kid on the team.

This is surprising, yet true.

Outside of Sacre's 15 pts every game, Bell is the most consistent player on both sides of the court, esp when he receives the minutes. Few has elected to start GBJ for good reason.

He's also improved every night out, which I expect to continue.

If he continues to play at a high level on defense, he'll develop into one of the best we've had...

kramzag
12-14-2011, 10:14 AM
This is surprising, yet true.

Outside of Sacre's 15 pts every game, Bell is the most consistent player on both sides of the court, esp when he receives the minutes. Few has elected to start GBJ for good reason.

He's also improved every night out, which I expect to continue.

If he continues to play at a high level on defense, he'll develop into one of the best we've had...

+1

His defense is very solid, and he doesn't foul. Only had 3 fouls once this season yet. He's shooting a better percentage than Pangos from the field, and more minutes/games will develop his comfort and lead to more offense. I'm a believer in DBJ (my nickname submission).

webspinnre
12-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Love the article, and Bell's defense is one of the things I love best about him. We've probably had better defensive guards and better offensive guards (though usually not as freshmen), but I'm not sure we've seen the complete package like this in quite some time. It'll be exciting to watch his development.

CDC84
12-14-2011, 10:27 AM
The kid is a serious talent. He may not possess the pro potential of some of the guys that were on 2011 McDonald's AA roster, but if there are 24 better freshmen than GBJ, I'd like to see a list. He has almost zero holes in his game at either end. The only noticeable "weakness" that he has is that he's a 6-1 shooting guard. But that doesn't really matter at this level.

Every guard that he was assigned to in the Michigan State game - including McDonald's AA Branden Dawson - was completely shut down.

Baldwinzag
12-14-2011, 10:33 AM
The kid is a serious talent. He may not possess the pro potential of some of the guys that were on 2011 McDonald's AA roster, but if there are 24 better freshmen than GBJ, I'd like to see a list. He has almost zero holes in his game at either end. The only noticeable "weakness" that he has is that he's a 6-1 shooting guard. But that doesn't really matter at this level.

Every guard that he was assigned to in the Michigan State game - including McDonald's AA Branden Dawson - was completely shut down.

Excellent point, CDC.

I agree with everything re: Bell's ability, including the comment about his height; even ESPN Recruiting mentioned this as GBJ's primary weakness, if really there is one at this level.

However, his height probably worked a bit in Gonzaga's favor, b/c if a player of GBJ's talent & ability was 6'4" or 6'5", he'd most likely be the starting SG for Kentucky/UNC/Duke as we speak.

Thomas_Sutpen
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Great article. GBJ sounds like a great kid. We are lucky to have him.

Agree with above posts about the positives in his game. He's only going to get better.

Another note: one play against MSU highlighted his unbelievable body control. He was the outlet on a fast break with Pangos, received the pass on the edge of the lane, then somehow jumped AROUND his defender to lay it in untouched. Amazing.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
We've probably had better defensive guards...

Who? I know he is a freshman but we haven't had a lot of above average defensive guards. Just curious as to who you're thinking of.

Baldwinzag
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
We've probably had better defensive guards

Who? I know he is a freshman but we haven't had a lot of above average defensive guards. Just curious as to who you're thinking of.

count me in on who he's referring to as well? Not saying he's wrong or that I disagree, just curious. . .

webspinnre
12-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Erroll Knight was the first that came to mind.