• Jan 2007

Five in a Row

No, not four Cincy and Xavier players in another row. I'm thinking--

Oral Roberts
    Arizona
    Butler
    Air Force
    Portland

I can see our Zags reeling off five in a row leading to the Xavier game. I feel much better about beating Zona than I did about those two Big Ten teams.

Your thoughts?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • raise the zag
    Zag for Life
    • May 2011

i can't wait to play Butler! i was most excited to play them before the season started, down year or not, I want to play & beat those other bulldogs.

we'll beat up on 'Zona this Saturday. I don't want to give myself props for all the wrong reasons, yet predicted we'd lose our first roadie to Illini and drop a close to Mich St. I'll give a RTZ guarantee we'll get a big win in Seattle . . .

either way, I'll be celebrating Guy's first game as a Zag.

Comment

• bartruff1
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

Arizona looks very good to me, and getting better...elite athletes... Frosh guard Johnson, nephew of Dennis....sick quick/leaper....no real home court advantage... short time to prepare...would be a very good win (IMHO) as Arizona is going to dance and dance.. the others, we should win....

Comment

• btzag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Not only can the Zags reel off five in a row, they SHOULD win five in a row. Zona is the only top 25 capable team in that group and if GU wants to get back there (top 25) they need to put in dominating performances.

Every single Zag should have a list of areas to improve upon after those last two games and my guess is that Few and company are pounding those lessons home this week. Can't wait to see how the group responds! Oh and also that Guy guy!

Comment

• raise the zag
          Zag for Life
          • May 2011

Arizona is the biggest game of the month, possibly season, and it comes in a hurry.

'zona has 6 days to prepare of us, we have 1 day to prepare for them. tough.

I, for one, have not been impressed with Arizona as a team. Besides Nick Johnson, who displays some nice skills and Solomon Hill around the basket, they are "meh" as a cohesive team. They match-up well with small, uber-atheltic team, not a tall, solid rebounding, physical, grind-it-out type team.

I think we have a tremendous opportunity to get 'back on track' this saturday.

BZ is on to something...

In some ways, I view the ORU game a tougher out than our game on Saturday. Elias, Sacre, Landry, & hopefully a little Spangler should have a field day this wkend -- my friends don't call me the Sports Book Oracle for nuthin' .

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

I didn't realize that we played ORU on Thursday until today, I had thought it would be tonight or tomorrow at the latest, that bothers me b/c it does give AZ a long time to prepare - perhaps we will come out against ORU with a new look, goodness knows that we could use it and if we can gut out a good win, then it is possible that the guys will be itching to get back out on to that court and get another.

I actually think that Seattle is a better "home" court advantage than the Arena - that might be partly b/c we seem to have had our doors blown off by Memphis year after year in the arena, but it could also be b/c it is bigger and generally 90% GU fans.

I would certainly take 5 wins in a row right now. Yep - if thats on the table, I'd take it. I don't particularly like that Portland game sticking up there in the middle of all that OOC madness. It is the epitome of the "trap" game, and have thought so since before the season, right between big OOC games, at home but w/o the students* and Portland knows how to play us, it will be close.

* Remember, I am the guy that believes in any conspiracy theory, so - can anyone name any other team that has 3 of its total 8 conference home games (one short of half) while the students are gone??? I would much rather play SMC, SCU, LMU, USF, while the students are gone. BYU plays in a 23,000 seat arena, will not be able to tell if students are there or not.

It will be a BIG disadvantage to play SMC w.o. the Kennel Club
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Zags have a good chance of going 5-0 over the next five games. Arizona is playing 3 Freshmen. Yes only one starts, but the other two play alot. I've only seen them play once against Florida and they (Arizona) play great defense, especially against the three point shot. In a way the 3 point shot is not our strength. Arizona is not tall.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• FlyZag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                Zags have a good chance of going 5-0 over the next five games. Arizona is playing 3 Freshmen. Yes only one starts, but the other two play alot.
                We START 2 Freshman and a Walk-on (Bell, Pangos & Hart). Another former walk-on (Stockton) gets up to 30 mins/game...

Comment

• GoGU
                  Kennel Club
                  • Nov 2011

There will be a fairly good student representation for Battle in Seattle. They distributed tickets in order of class standing, so it will be mostly Juniors and Seniors, some Sophomores. I think they ran out before they got to Freshmen. A lot of Gonzaga students live in Seattle. And a lot of alumni end up in Seattle for work. It will be a home crowd for sure.
                  sigpic

The Gus Johnson Soundboard

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                    Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                    • Feb 2007

Arizona is SUCH a big game....our OOC 'key wins' are lacking at the moment...our resume won't be so hot if we drop this one too...
                    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• GU69
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
                      Arizona is SUCH a big game....our OOC 'key wins' are lacking at the moment...our resume won't be so hot if we drop this one too...
                      This game has worried me for some time. And when I saw Bob's "Five in a Row" heading I thought that he was in one of his doom and gloom phases and was predicting five losses in a row.

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Every game we play means the kids (those nasty unworthy lil walkons and all <rolls eyes>) get more experience with other teamsand with themselves. 5 in a row might be a bit much but if the kids play one game at a time, we could do it. X might be as bit much. I DO like Bell's defense on the guards though. Tu isn't a Jimmer....if this is about points. A bit of a committtee type defense is warranty but he didn't kill the Zags last time we played him .
                        So, it's a bit doubtful to run this table but we might do that. Focus and defense are keys. I've all but given up on a smart and thoughtful game plan since they usually last 10 minutes or so....unless the Zags are winning.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

...Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes...

Kiddwell has lost the faith. Most sadly, the Zags go down to 'Zona. Here we go again having to win the conference to make the Dance, and this time round BYU's in the way too.

:[

<Where the heck's a chocolate chip cookie when ya need one?>
                          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                            Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                            * Remember, I am the guy that believes in any conspiracy theory, so - can anyone name any other team that has 3 of its total 8 conference home games (one short of half) while the students are gone??? I would much rather play SMC, SCU, LMU, USF, while the students are gone. BYU plays in a 23,000 seat arena, will not be able to tell if students are there or not.

It will be a BIG disadvantage to play SMC w.o. the Kennel Club
                            ????

First you say you'd rather play SMC when the students are gone, then you say it will be a BIG disadvantage to play SMC w.o. the Kennel Club?

For the record, GU plays SMC in the MAC on February 6 when school is session. The Kennel Club will be there. No disadvantage there...

The reason we have more conference games during Xmas this year is because the conference added another member...

WSU plays two of its home games in the Spokane arena when school is out. I'm too lazy to look to see if they have any more games during Xmas break.
                            You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Reborn
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
                              We START 2 Freshman and a Walk-on (Bell, Pangos & Hart). Another former walk-on (Stockton) gets up to 30 mins/game...
                              Thanks FlyZag! Yes it is really amazing how good these guys HAVE played. I need no excuses for these guys because I love this team, and I think they're gonna be dang good. Who knows if we win all those 5 games, and honestly, it doesn't really matter because this team is solid and they are going to improve by March. I can hardly wait to get Landry_Edi going. For this bunch of guys to have competed as well as they did against two darn good teams, Illinois and Michigan St without Landry-Edi is just awesome. Wait until this team really gels in a month.

I've been moody all week after watching that Xavior vs Cincinnattie brawl, and learning the punishment that was handed out. It's disgraceful to the game. It's disgraceful to ethics. And to think what the NCAA did to Edi, just irrates me so much. I hope the Zags stomp Xavier and I believe they can. I believe Xavier did what it did so they could remain undefeated, and I'm just hoping from the bottom of my heart that it backfires against them when they play GU.
                              Last edited by Reborn; 12-14-2011, 08:14 PM.
                              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X