PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if...

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
This team was 3-3 with losses to a Big 12, Big 10, and MWC teams at this point?

Would you be down on the team? Would you be giving up on them? Would you be railing on players constantly?

MDABE80
12-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm getting a bit angry over this constant demeaning of our kids. We lost 2 games to ranked teams. The games were NOT blow outs. We have more games we might lose with young guards. Big deal. Let's look at this team differently. A team in progress with talented, yet young players.

We'll be back in the top 25 soon and we will make it to the NCAA tourney. It's a good group of kids we have. Let's grow with them. Jesssus H! you guys...no whining.

gu03alum
12-13-2011, 09:59 AM
What if the losses were to Hawaii, Western Michigan, and Eastern Washington and they had wins over the other teams. I think my head might explode.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm getting a bit angry over this constant demeaning of our kids. We lost 2 games to ranked teams. The games were NOT blow outs. We have more games we might lose with young guards. Big deal. Let's look at this team differently. A team in progress with talented, yet young players.

We'll be back in the top 25 soon and we will make it to the NCAA tourney. It's a good group of kids we have. Let's grow with them. Jesssus H! you guys...no whining.

Exactly. We had a chance to win both games against ranked opponents despite not yet having our full starting five (Landry) and turning the ball over too much. These two losses will end up not hurting us, and seeing as we came out of the stretch with no injuries, the experience can't do anything but help such a young team.

Das Zagger
12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
The team has to get better but its December, I'm not super worried about it.

This is the reason why Few schedules these games, as fans, we'd like to think he does it for us but its really for the team, play tough teams and you get better.

Just need to get things a bit more crisp.

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 10:41 AM
There is a point to the original post, btw.

04ZagFan
12-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Never ever question anything. Ever. We've been told patience" for like 4 years now, I swear!

Although with a freshman back court I'd have to agree to some extent.... I think our bigs are going to struggle next year, and we'll be told "patience" again. Although that might not be a terrible thing, because I want more focus on the guards.

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
How about 8-5 at the end of Dec with losses to A10, CUSA, 2 PAC 10, and Big 12?

bigblahla
12-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Would you be down on the team? Would you be giving up on them? Would you be railing on players constantly?

LIZF,

Some of the spew that is posted on this board just pisses me off.

It's not about March it's about the WCC and there are 8 other teams in the conference who think that is a big deal.

We are the GU Bulldogs a mid-major team from a mid-major conference who through the efforts of Coach and staff and all the young men who proudly came before those of today built a program that is nationally recognized and respected. We are on TV week in and week out and get more publicity that any team of our like ilk. I'm damn proud to be a Zag fan.

What we aren't are contenders for a national championship but that doesn't make the team or season less sweet.

The visions of grandeur of some here just blow my mind. It's like they have a version of the Zags in their head and are disappointed that the real team doesn't live up to those expectations.

Zaggies, enjoy this team and this season because it will be behind us all way to soon.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I let the crap piss me off also...thanks for a bit of sense..Big

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM

By MWC I do not mean Mountain West, but rather Butlers conference.

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
How about 6-4 through December with losses to MWC (not mountain west), big west, PAC 10, and SEC?

Baldwinzag
12-13-2011, 11:03 AM

I dunno, yet the 2000-2001 season(dickau, stepp, calvary, gourde, spink, reason, et al), we were 6-5 at the end of Dec w/ losses to Pac 10, WAC, SEC, Horizon, and MWC teams.

WCC was pretty down that year, save Santa Clara, thus we ended up losing one Conference game and making the S16, again.

LIZF, please do tell. . .

ps - that GU/Santa Clara WCC Championship game may have been my fave WCC game of all-time.

04ZagFan
12-13-2011, 11:03 AM
How about 6-4 through December with losses to MWC (not mountain west), big west, PAC 10, and SEC?

Butler is in the Horizon league.... What's the MWC if it's not the mountain west?

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
How about 10-2 with losses to Big Ten and CUSA through December.

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Butler is in the Horizon league.... What's the MWC if it's not the mountain west?

Changed names. Probably to reduce confusion.

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Point is is first three examples.... E8, SW16, Sw16, last example was round 1 tourney loss.

Just food for thought before you start talking about packing it in for next year and purging players.

cjm720
12-13-2011, 11:12 AM
After last year, I feel there's always hope. Mark Few teams typically don't get worse as the season progresses...

Timeout!
12-13-2011, 11:13 AM

1999-2000 season.

Zags were 8-5 at the end of December.

Losses:

-- 12 pts vs Cinncinati (CUSA)
-- 16 pts vs Temple (A10)
-- 8 pts vs California (Pac 10)
-- 6 pts vs Oregon (Pac 10)
-- 4 pts vs Colorado (Big 12)

Wins:

Montana, EWU, Wash St, Boise St, UCLA, UW, Montana, Ohio.

BC1210is
12-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Oh the weekly thread about let's not criticize the team, coach or players. This is the Best DISCUSSION board on the net.
LIZF, your original question, I think I would feel the same way I do about the team. You posed a similar situation as to where we are. Throw out the wins to garbage teams and we have 2 losses to very good big ten teams. The fact is this is the time of the year to get key wins over big teams for seeding in March. I am disappointed that we missed out but am not ready to belittle college athletes on the Internet.
Some people may be happy with the team winning the wcc and losing in the tourney every year in the second round. I want to see our program improve to what we were when Santangelo and Stepp played and runs went deep in to March.

Angelo Roncalli
12-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Never ever question anything. Ever. We've been told patience" for like 4 years now, I swear!

Although with a freshman back court I'd have to agree to some extent.... I think our bigs are going to struggle next year, and we'll be told "patience" again. Although that might not be a terrible thing, because I want more focus on the guards.

Who exactly is saying "patience?"

Baldwinzag
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pBXvP3pyIBo/ToMt9a7JB8I/AAAAAAAAJTY/aHZ72VjSijc/s320/Yoda_SWSB.jpg

"Patience, Young Jedi."

Baldwinzag
12-13-2011, 11:32 AM

"I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience."

gu03alum
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM

I whisper it every night to 04ZagFan.

04ZagFan
12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I whisper it every night to 04ZagFan.

Easy there, HERBERT.

LongIslandZagFan
12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
The overall point is that close losses to Big 10 teams that are likely to be tourney teams is NOT the end of the world. There are things to work on... But the world ain't falling apart and there is upside to this team.

Timeout!
12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Easy there, Sandusky.

whoa, he's not even in prison yet, therefore, too soon...if ever.

gu03alum
12-13-2011, 11:47 AM
The overall point is that close losses to Big 10 teams that are likely to be tourney teams is NOT the end of the world.

I agree and I think most reasonable Zag fans would agree also. I am used to seeing strange (to me) lineups early in the year while the team figures out who is going to get big minutes later in the year. It would be great to win all of these games and get a high seed in the NCAA tournament, but I'm OK with losing to good teams as the team figures out what it is.

DixieZag
12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Easy there, Sandusky.

I think you ought to delete that post. Completely over the top and classless, do it yourself before someone does it for you and puts you on hold for a week or two.

webspinnre
12-13-2011, 01:02 PM
I think you ought to delete that post. Completely over the top and classless, do it yourself before someone does it for you and puts you on hold for a week or two.

That's why he's on my ignore list. Wonderful feature.

Shanachie
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
The overall point is that close losses to Big 10 teams that are likely to be tourney teams is NOT the end of the world. There are things to work on... But the world ain't falling apart and there is upside to this team.

+1. In particular, I remember losses to Detroit, Wisconsin Green Bay, and a blowout at the hands of Boise State in the E8/Sweet 16 years.

ZaggyZaggerson
12-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Maybe everyone should slow down and watch the games .... only 7 games have been played so far.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-13-2011, 08:59 PM
LIZF, The Mountain West is the only MWC there is. I think you may have been thinking of the Missouri Valley Conference, although it has been stated that Butler's conference (the one you meant) is the Horizon League.