PDA

View Full Version : Pressing Lineup?

ZagMania
07-07-2007, 01:14 PM
With our unbelievable depth next year I think that we should have a separate pressing lineup. It seems like it would be a nice thing to mix up our defense and keep the other team on edge, especially if they are thin on ball handlers.

I would just love to see a team try to bring the ball up against LG, Ira, Daye, Davis, and Kuso. All five of those guys are extremely long and fast, and they can all play all out without worrying about racking up fouls since most of them are not going to be starting. I'd like to see them work on a press with those guys and some others that would be effective (Micah, Gray?) and throw this at teams when Pargo and Bouldin need a break. Wouldn't this be a great way to use our depth at the wings and inject some intensity from our bench?

The thinking would obviously be that they would create turnovers and quickly score off of them, but with reports saying that Daye and Ira have better handles than expected, I think they would be fine if they had to play something in the half court.

Nevtelen
07-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm sure the pressing would be great with that line-up, but I'm not sure about the offense. Its tough to say without having seen most of those guys play (or, with them having had a year with little bball activity, like LG) but I just don't think we'd get a lot of offense with that crew that isn't off the fast break. They would also be killed in on offense without a PG-quality ball-handler to run the offense, especially with almost all of them being rookies.

I hope Pargo doesn't get tired much this year, because he could help with a pressing attack D while making sure the team had a real distributor on the floor (plus he finishes like a mack truck on the break).

For pressing, I think a really strong squad could be: Pargo, Gray, LG, Davis, and Heytvelt (back protecting the rim in case the press gets broken)

azzagfan
07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I think the 3/4 court 1-2-2 defense we used near the end of last season was very effective both at creating steals and getting the fast break, but also dictating the game's tempo. It was particularly effective when Downs was at the top with his long arms and good athleticism (I'd imagine Daye would create this same effect).

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Downs (or Daye) up front.....Pargo and Ira....Theo....Heytvelt....this I'd like to see!