PDA

View Full Version : OT - The Crosstown Shootout needs to be given a rest

CDC84
12-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I have been saying for years on this board that the Cincinnati/Xavier basketball rivalry is the most vicious, hate-filled rivalry in all of sports. No two teams hate each other that much. I don't care if it's the Red Sox/Yankees, North Carolina/Duke, Ohio State/Michigan, etc. Those are pure sports rivalries (the way it should be), but they don't hate each other like these two teams do.

I could've anticipated this happening years ago. If you have watched this rivalry at all, it is normal for there to be multiple technicals and ejections. What happened on Saturday is not exceptional if you have been following the rivalry. It didn't shock me whatsoever. They have been shaking the bottle for years, and finally someone popped the cork.

Everyone is talking about player suspensions, how long they should be, etc. Those who acted like idiots deserve every bit (and probably more) of what's coming to them. But I'm afraid it's not going to alter player behavior - and, as it turns out, coach behavior - unless further steps are taken.

The only hope they have of restoring the Crosstown Shootout to what it should be about - a great basketball rivalry - is to call it off for 3-5 years. If they allow it to be played next year, I guarantee you bad things will happen. Someone is going to get injured far worse than Kenny Frease.

These kids want nothing more than to use violent behavior as a means of attracting attention to the rivalry. If technical fouls are issued, players get ejected, death threats made, players get hurt, etc., to them that's proof that their rivalry is better than yours....that it's more intense. The more media attention, the better.

The only way to put an end to this nonsense is to just not play the game and not allow the media to draw attention to it. It needs to be given a rest for now.

MDABE80
12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I'd stop it right now. Worse now than when Huggins was Cinci's coach. Some players have been thugs for years....remember when we played Cinci in Maui a few years ago?
Some kids are just built that way. Funny but the same major offender was the same one who punched out X's center. It's just not right game... and deteriorates the...Remember when a hockey player was brought up on charges a few years ago for a malicious attack? Same thing applies.

You hit someone, you go to the graybar building for a bit.