PDA

View Full Version : Non-scholarship players

Zag 77
12-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Some people make a big deal about scholarship vs. non-scholarship athletes. It is worth noting that The Ivy League does not allow athletic scholarships. They have held their own pretty well in sports other than football vs. other D-I schools and I note that Harvard has been ranked in the Top 25 polls.

Bol Kong-scholarship athlete

Mike Nilsson-non scholarship athlete

Some recruits never improve past high school
Some walk-ons get better once they start playing.

mgadfly
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
The Ivy League is able to recruit in other ways that a lot of schools can't. I might be willing to take an academic need-based scholarship to an Ivy school and play sports there while not taking a similar offer from Wazzu.

And if we are talking basketball, over the past 9 years only one team made it out of the first round (Cornell, 2010 went to the Sweet 16). I'd hate to see this message board if we had lost in the first round 8 of the last 9 seasons (and that is comparing one WCC team with the best team each season from the Ivy).

VinnyZag
12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships, but they do offer an Ivy League education.

DCZag
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
And since thousands of athletes go pro in something other than sports....

mgadfly
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I think you missed the point of the post, which I think was a very good point at that.

Which was that people shouldn't make a big deal about scholarship vs non-scholarship athletes (if the first sentence and title has anything to do with the point of the post) because the Ivy League has done very well.

I disagree. There is a big deal. It's why, despite having other advantages (like an Ivy education), the Ivy league really doesn't do all that well in other sports (if we are talking about basketball).

If the point was that we really like our walkons and that some of them have been quite good, then I'm on board with that.