PDA

View Full Version : 10 Seconds left down by 1, who do you trust?

Timeout!
12-12-2011, 01:18 PM
We have yet to play a close game this season. . .

If/When the situation occurs, who should have the ball and/or take the last shot?

Edit to add: forgot to add Marquise Carter. Apologies. If you want to select 'Quise, please post a comment in his favor. :o My bad.

thickman1
12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
no one.

75Zag
12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
no one.

Until proven otherwise, Morrison and Dickau buzzer beater days are over.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

cjm720
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
My first question, against who?

Bobby at the line; Stocks with some room; Bell in a month.

Baldwinzag
12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
If 10 seconds remaining = give it to GBJ.

If 3 seconds remaining = give it to Stocks (half-court shooting Champion & proved it at least 3 times from what I've seen)

kyle dixon
12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Ghostbusters!!!!!

Baldwinzag
12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
My first question, against who?

I'd love Bobby Sugar at the line and I feel Coach Few would want the ball in his hands to hopefully draw a foul(or double team), yet not worth the risk of allowing the defense to collapse on him = TO = game over.

Our best chance is GBJ creating off the dribble or hitting a tough shot imho

04ZagFan
12-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd like to say GBJ, But I really doubt it... To be honest, I have no idea what Few would do, and I'm not sure he knows at this point either.

GBJ is the obvious choice, but he hasn't been aggressive enough for me to be able to picture him creating his own shot in a high pressure situation at the end of a game. He's been very passive and let everything come to him for the most part, which I'm sure is by design. I expect to see his role expanded more and more as the season goes on, though.

bartruff1
12-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Hart

Baldwinzag
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Hart

fwiw, I heard he's a sniper in practice and in pick-up games.

at this point, everyone yet no one is a sure-fire candidate to 'take the last shot'...interesting question.

DixieZag
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I am fine with allowing Pangos to take the ball and make the decision at the top of the key. . . Pangos is very very very good at getting some space when he drives and popping it off the glass and if it is completely taken away from him, I trust him to kick it out to GBJ (who I trust with the shot), or Stocks (who I also suddenly trust with the shot) and I trust Pangos to make the best pass to Sacre (though I am not positive I trust Sacre to catch it) for a dunk or bunnie.

In my scenario, Pangos has 4 different options, shoot straight-up, drive, kick out or dish. I realize Bell has been the better shooter of late, but I suspect that that is b/c Pangos has had the other team's defensive focus squared on him - that may change now that Bell has had some break out games, but I think Pangos has been going against the toughest D and would be used to having the D focus on him with 10 seconds left. Pangos to me is a "Dickau" like Player, he is most comfortable being able to distribute and read the game, while Bell may be more like Stepp with quickness.

The other good news is that I truly trust

Baldwinzag
12-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I am fine with allowing Pangos to take the ball and make the decision at the top of the key. . . Pangos is very very very good at getting some space when he drives and popping it off the glass and if it is completely taken away from him, I trust him to kick it out to GBJ (who I trust with the shot), or Stocks (who I also suddenly trust with the shot) and I trust Pangos to make the best pass to Sacre (though I am not positive I trust Sacre to catch it) for a dunk or bunnie.

In my scenario, Pangos has 4 different options, shoot straight-up, drive, kick out or dish. I realize Bell has been the better shooter of late, but I suspect that that is b/c Pangos has had the other team's defensive focus squared on him - that may change now that Bell has had some break out games, but I think Pangos has been going against the toughest D and would be used to having the D focus on him with 10 seconds left. Pangos to me is a "Dickau" like Player, he is most comfortable being able to distribute and read the game, while Bell may be more like Stepp with quickness.

The other good news is that I truly trust

Good post, Dixie.

fwiw, I firmly believe Pangos & Bell are our only two "play-makers" on the team right now. Elias used to be one and Carter is trying to be one, yet Pangos & Gary Bell are, quite literally, the only guys who have taken the basketball from perimeter, to the hoop, and scored. Proven. Carter is a TO waiting to happen on the dribble, Elias is forceful and missing too many shot, and Stocks is a baller yet gets swallowed up. Pangos has shown a nice ability to find space and make the shot(I'd like to see more), and Gary Bell has shown a knack to hit the toughest of shots in the middle of the pack, and its rare he's called for an offensive foul given his body control/balance. As good of Stockton has been the last 2-3 games, it has been creating "plays", but rather providing instant offense with his shooting prowess and some nice passes to others. Its just as valuable, yet not the same thing. Pangos & Gary Bell are the play-makers and should be provided more ball screens to get in the lane and make something happen.

04ZagFan
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Stocks is over 65% from 3pt land this year last time I checked.
How can you not say Stocks?
GBJ is good, but unproven in clutch situations, at least Stocks has hit a few buzzer beaters.

Only reason why you wouldn't say Stocks, is because it's hard to imagine Stockton being able to create a decent shot for himself late in a game when everybody knows what you're doing.

Stocks has been awesome though, and I trust him more than any other guard on the roster at this point.. I remember when I first heard he was coming to GU, I was saying he would never play, until garbage time... Boy was I wrong.

NEC26
12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Stocks has hit quite a few clutch shots so far this year and last. So if the question is who I trust to take a last second shot I would say him but if you are talking foul shots I would go with Sacre(I would never want him taking the last shot as he turns it over too easily and too much. Same goes for Harris).

23dpg
12-12-2011, 02:15 PM
No one has stepped up yet. But there is a lot of the season left for someone to become that person.

Matt Bouldin was the last Gonzaga player to have this quality.

Baldwinzag
12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
No one has stepped up yet. But there is a lot of the season left for someone to become that person.

Matt Bouldin was the last Gonzaga player to have this quality.

Bingo.

Guy Landry isn't the savior.

The problem is being exposed by this thread. Just look at the responses and poll above.

We the going gets tough(start off great vs Mich St) or we lose momentum off unreal TO's(see Illinois game), there is not one player who we can count on to score or settle us down by example. No "go-to".

The good news...fast-forward 1 month from now and one may emerge.

Its not too late. Once we figure it out, we'll be able to sustain momentum, keep leads, and settle down when sh!t hits the fan.

This is precisely what is missing.

OZZY
12-12-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm with Dixie on this one (I am sure that no-one is surprised by this). Kevin has shown already this year that he can handle the last second pressure by hitting some free throws when needed. He also has previously shown himself to be able to hit shots when the game is on the line. The sooner there is a 5 on 5 situation on court, the sooner KP will be able to play to his potential by beingt able to utilise the four options mentioned above.

jazzdelmar
12-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Bright side: No chainsaws.

ZagLawGrad
12-12-2011, 06:39 PM
No confidence in anyone right now. If forced to decide, DS.

GU69
12-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd have the ball in Stockton's hands, but not necessarily to take the last shot. He's got the floor vision to find the person in the best position, and I'd let him decide whether to shoot himself or pass to a person with a higher percentage look.

Birddog
12-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Almost perfect cept I'd have to say Bell right now as the 3rd alternative.

2wiceright
12-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm with Dixie on this one (I am sure that no-one is surprised by this). Kevin has shown already this year that he can handle the last second pressure by hitting some free throws when needed. He also has previously shown himself to be able to hit shots when the game is on the line. The sooner there is a 5 on 5 situation on court, the sooner KP will be able to play to his potential by beingt able to utilise the four options mentioned above.

...and this is why. My second choice would be David if wide open or Bell (as he can create, drive with athleticism and draw the foul).

SWZag
12-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Who do I trust? I trust them all.

jim77
12-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Morrison!

kramzag
12-13-2011, 03:10 AM
[QUOTE=Baldwinzag;708326]fwiw, I heard he's a sniper in practice and in pick-up games.

I've played pick up with Mike, and this is true.

I've also played pick up with Ira Brown, and he was a sniper too.....

77Zag
12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I like GBJ's court presence -- He would be my best take right now.

I'm shocked the poll did not include Tim Tebow

HillBillyZag
12-13-2011, 01:34 PM
That says something, when two freshmen and a sophmore red shirt lead the team and we are 5-2, with both loses to Big Ten opponents. What if the upperclassmen worked as hard ?

Zag4Hire
12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
GBJ but if it is the end of the first half, I think Stocks has proven he can get the job done several times over.

kitzbuel
12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
I really want to say GBJ, and maybe even further into the season it will happen, but right now I think he still needs to work on his confidence in his shot making ability.

awberke
12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Who do I trust? I trust them all.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this. I don't trust marquise to make a game winner.

I think you have to say Stocks. He is the only one that has made some buzzer beater shots. And with how he's been shooting lately, i say give it to him.

BTW, there has been about 3-4 times where stocks has hit a three where it didn't count (i.e. pangos stepping on baseline first). I'm just saying his % should be even better.

Club Prez
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
more cowbell!