PDA

View Full Version : We had better get focused on Oral Roberts

Reborn
12-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I was looking at Oral Roberts schedule and they have a very good team. Good enough to come in to K2 and knock the Zags out if they are not ready. They only lost to WV @ West Virginia by 7. Lost to Oklahoma @ Oaklahoma by 14. So this is not going to be a blow out. And Im sure the guys are getting ready.

I am not worried about the Zags. Not at all. Its time for me to move on from the past two losses and get ready for the next game. The Zags are not as good as I thought. So what. I've learned that they are young, and now younger then I would have thought since Carter has decided to be someone I don't even recognize. Who would have guessed that? Oh well. Move on. I like Bell a lot, and Im sure he will be everything Carter could have been. Pangos and Bell are Freshmen, it's early in the season, and against teams like Michigan State and Illinois they are going to make lots of mistakes. That is now obvious. I think we, as fans, just need to give them time. I think the talent is there. It just takes time. No one lilkes back to back losses, and especially against the quality of opponents we just played. We could have won both games. I believe that. But I like what Few said in Blanchette's article. "We just didn't deliver." Well said. It's on the team, and it's up to guys like Sacre and Harris to get this ship back on coarse.

So let's beat Oral Roberts. The win will be good for everyone.

hooter73
12-12-2011, 07:48 AM
You look at Oral's lineup and if we dont grow then we are going to have a Michigan Part 2.

75Zag
12-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Hard to tell how the Bulldogs will play against Oral Roberts. They could get a big lead but then blow it. Keeping your head in the game could be a key to victory. I have a strong feeling that the ORU players will be going down to defeat.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

zagzilla
12-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Sandwiched between Illinois, Mich. St and AZ, the ORU game looked like a classic trap game when I first saw the schedule. They are going to contend for an NCAA berth in the Summit conference and have some veteran players - including a guy named Morrison who can score :-)

Having said that, the fact this game comes right after MSU is good because they Zags are going to have the staff "coaching them up" really hard after the loss so complacency is unlikely.

This is a game we MUST win to rebuild some momentum and confidence before AZ.

ZZ

BobZag
12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Need to feel good about ourselves going into Saturday's big Battle-Seattle against Arizona. A solid win vs ORU would be a big help.

GU69
12-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Need to feel good about ourselves going into Saturday's big Battle-Seattle against Arizona. A solid win vs ORU would be a big help.

I've been worried all along about Arizona. I really don't want to see losses to Illinois, Michigan State, and Arizona.

Maybe ORU can be a way to get healthy and get some confidence.

zagfan1970
12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I've been worried all along about Arizona. I really don't want to see losses to Illinois, Michigan State, and Arizona.

Maybe ORU can be a way to get healthy and get some confidence.

YOU are falling into the "TRAP"

Oral Roberts will be a gut check, NOT a Senior Day type opponent to get an easy win! They are MUCH better than the Portland State team that came in here and beat us.

Timeout!
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Reborn is right.

I watched Oral Roberts' first game vs West Virginia and came away impressed in a close loss, and this was w/o their 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder from last season.

They are built a lot like Illinois, save a Meyers Leonard. Very tall, big, thick, athletic PG, SG, SF, PF, etc. Actually, a more polished version of W. Michigan would be an even better comparison.

Also, unfortunately for us, they just returned a starting player from injury, a 6'9" 250 lb stud who had 16 pts & 4 rebs vs Oklahoma. He averaged 13 ppg & 8 rpg last season and is returning to form playing the last 2 games.

He's back and ORU is expected to compete a Summit League Championship.

Oral Roberts has won 6 games sans their biggest player. They play very hard and have shown the ability to compete vs the best.

I honestly believe we'll have to play one of our better games to separate from this team.

75Zag
12-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I read your predictions that ORU will be tough, buy I find that very hard to swallow.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

DixieZag
12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
All I know is that when you have lost your last two games, overlooking anyone is an extremely bad idea. They have film on how to play us and if we do not give 100% effort then we can get beat by any reasonable D-1 team, if we give 100% effort (and after 2 straight losses, I can't imagine anything else) then I am pretty confident that they guys will come out fine.

HillBillyZag
12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Amen! One game at a time.

rennis
12-12-2011, 02:24 PM
On the flip side, let's all be realistic and realize that ORU is NOT Mich. St. or Illinois. Far from it.

Timeout!
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Already don't like what I'm seeing...

Won't name names, yet Zag players discussing 'Zona game on Saturday via Social Networking, no mention we have a game on Thursday vs one of Summit League's best teams/programs. I believe ORU has won 20+ games 8 of the lat 10 seasons and returned their top front court player a few days ago from injury.

Coaches will get them ready, I'm sure of it, yet their minds appear focused on a certain game in Seattle right now.

jimmy b
12-12-2011, 06:10 PM
according to ESPN play by play. must have been amazing finish.

Reborn
12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
according to ESPN play by play. must have been amazing finish.

The play at the end of the game is now on video on ESPN. Go to espn and then to the game. The shot was a 3/4 shot from the opposing team's foul line. Amazing victory. Once again the Zags will be playing a quality team, which is good for us.

However, Arkansas-Little Rock is not one of the better teams on anyone's schedule. So, imo, that slim victory by Oral Roberts does not say much to me. Michigan St. beat them by 20 points at home. But if the Zags are overlooking Oral Roberts, then it will be a nailbiter. Get Ready Zags! Get focussed.

Das Zagger
12-13-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.buzzpirates.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/admackbarhs0.jpg

Appropriate picture is appropriate.

gu03alum
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
How many of you are suiting up for the game? Why do we have to be focused on Oral Roberts. I'm going to focus on Arizona or maybe 5 Guys and I bet it has no effect on how the players play on Thursday.

Hextall7388
12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Reborn is right.

I watched Oral Roberts' first game vs West Virginia and came away impressed in a close loss, and this was w/o their 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder from last season.

They are built a lot like Illinois, save a Meyers Leonard. Very tall, big, thick, athletic PG, SG, SF, PF, etc. Actually, a more polished version of W. Michigan would be an even better comparison.

Also, unfortunately for us, they just returned a starting player from injury, a 6'9" 250 lb stud who had 16 pts & 4 rebs vs Oklahoma. He averaged 13 ppg & 8 rpg last season and is returning to form playing the last 2 games.

He's back and ORU is expected to compete a Summit League Championship.

Oral Roberts has won 6 games sans their biggest player. They play very hard and have shown the ability to compete vs the best.

I honestly believe we'll have to play one of our better games to separate from this team.

"Very tall, big and thick"? I was looking at their stats on ESPN and I came to the opposite conclusion. Based on what is posted, once you get past their 6'9 245lb c-f, they have one guy at 6'8 180lbs and the rest of the team is 6'6 and shorter (of the players actually getting minutes this year). As for weight, they have one guy at 215lb, another at 210lb and the rest are under 200lbs. Are the stats wrong?

Obviously size alone does not win games, but I was thinking that we would have a distinct size advantage over Oral Roberts in the paint. As we seem to have only one game plan....pass it to Sacre in the post, I was thinking that the plan might actually fit the opponent this time (I apologize for the sarcasm...still a little salty after the last two games).