PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Seven

Timeout!
12-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Is 7 the key to victory? Are we just 7 pts away?

Yes, we all know about 3pt defense, unforced TO's, and sporadic play by our veterans, yet the #7 seems to be a curse, a sign, an answer...well, maybe...

Illinois 82 Gonzaga 75 = 7 pt loss

Mich St 74 Gonzaga 67 = 7 pt loss

Thus, the recent back-to-back 7 pt losses leads me to my point:

Is Guy-Landry capable of scoring 8 pts;)?

75Zag
12-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Will Guy/ Landry likely be matched against Solomon Harris in the Arizona game? Granted that the Pac 12 is a weak conference this year, but Solomon Harris looks like he is really starting to cook. Conference player of the week last week, etc. I don't watch recruiting videos so I don't know how good G/L is, but I really hope he is as powerful as advertised on this forum.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

allnet59
12-11-2011, 08:30 AM
I hope guy landry is as good as everyone on this board makes him out to be as it wasn't to long ago that was the hype on Bol Kong. I really wish the zags would have not been rated in the top 25 at the start of the season and instead worked their way in and not their way out. Pangos has a huge breakout game and your made to think he wears a cape under his uniform and can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Looks pretty human to me since then. Out bigs look no different then last year at this point. Good at times and poor at others. Hart working his tail off but a liability on offense. Bell coming along as advertised. Stockton a walk on playing his rear end off and plays fearless. The others should take a lesson from him imo. Carter is a lost puppy out there and might be feeling the pressure of losing his starting position considering were he ended up at the end of last year. it only gets tougher and I hope they gel sooner then later

Timeout!
12-11-2011, 08:31 AM
No matter his offensive potential, Guy-Landry is a presence on the court. No if's, and's, but's about that -- Coach Few never said he's going to be a big-time scorer yet a strong, athletic, physical presence this team could use on the perimeter.

I'm just curious, where are the minutes going to come from? While Hart is a bit of a black hole on offense, he brings so much else to the team i.e. hustle, heart, rebounding, good defense, etc.

I think Hart maintains his 15-20 mins per game.

If I'm Marquise Carter, I'm a little worried going forward. He's already lost his starting position for good, imo. He has the most TO's on the team in the least about of minutes. The last 4-5 games he's essentially averaging a TO per MIN(ok, not quite, yet it sure feels like it. He's been bad, unbelievably so. Doesn't even look like he belongs on the court this season. a shadow of his February-March self.)

Since 'Quise is playing the 2, yet also logging mins at the 3, I think GBJ continues to log 33+ mins every game. Its OK -- take a deep breath -- to rely so heavily on a true Frosh at Gonzaga. I know many have shared their doubts and/or discomfort of having Bell be one of our primary options on offense & defense, yet he's good. very good. If anything, I'd like to see him as our #2 option on offense.

So, with GBJ playing the #2(#3 when S&P are in together), Stocks/Pangos sharing the #1 exclusively and even the 2 on occasion, Hart starting and playing the #3 and Guy Landry at the #3 and maybe even some of Dower's mins at the #4 in WCC play, it might end up being a long season for Mr. Carter.

The only question I have is how many mins will Landry log? Will he develop into a starter? The good news is, he can't be any worse on offense than Marquise has been and it pains me to admit it.

btw, I heard Guy Landry has been guarding every single player not named Sacre in practice and holding is own. good sign.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-11-2011, 08:42 AM
I hope guy landry is as good as everyone on this board makes him out to be as it wasn't to long ago that was the hype on Bol Kong.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It's not a realist or fair expectation to think he's going to be the missing piece and turn things around immediately. I sure hope he is, and I think he will be a good player, but I too am being reminded of the Bol hype (although to a lesser extent, of course).

Timeout!
12-11-2011, 08:54 AM
It's not a realist or fair expectation to think he's going to be the missing piece and turn things around immediately.

Agreed.

Unless our guards start to value every offensive possession, limit silly/unnecessary TO's, and our bigs start playing smarter and tougher on offense, nothing will change.

The good news is our rebounding has been pretty solid, our defense is hustling, and our young players, including Stockton are maturing nicely.

Side note: did Harris have lead weights in his shoes last night or what? wow.

Ezag
12-11-2011, 08:55 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth. It's not a realist or fair expectation to think he's going to be the missing piece and turn things around immediately. I sure hope he is, and I think he will be a good player, but I too am being reminded of the Bol hype (although to a lesser extent, of course).

+1 or +2

BobZag
12-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Guy Landry-Edi is not a name like Bol King Kong. I can't think of any cool nicknames for Guy. :(

I'd say Ilinois is 7 points better than Zags at Illinois, and Sparty is 7 points better than Zags at GU. That's about what I expected, except I thought it would be 10 or so. Right now the Zags are okay, but they have some good upside what with inexperience in the backcourt and a couple fellas being in poor form. It'll change for the better, but I expect it to be gradual. Maybe by WCC time or later.

Worthington
12-11-2011, 09:47 AM
If Guy Landry can provide a solid offensive presence, then I think seven points will open up for the team in numerous ways. I like Mike Hart, but he is an absolute black hole on offense that we just cannot afford. If Landry can take it to the hoop and shoot it a bit, I believe our offense is going to run at a different level.

Birddog
12-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Coach Few never said he's going to be a big-time scorer
I guessed I missed that, can you reference it?

Reborn
12-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm just curious, where are the minutes going to come from? While Hart is a bit of a black hole on offense, he brings so much else to the team i.e. hustle, heart, rebounding, good defense, etc.
I think Hart maintains his 15-20 mins per game.

Do you really believe Hart is a good defensive player after watching Green score at will against him. Green looked like he was up against a high school player. Hart is good to a point, but if Few expects him to guard All-Americans forget it. Why wasn't Harris guarding Green from the outset. Sometimes I really wonder about Mark Few.

The problem with Hart is he is not athletic enough to guard someone like Green who is SUPER ATHLETIC. I believe Landry-Edi will be much more athletci than Hart: can get off the ground higher, can dunk tremendously, can soar. He appears sleak to me, and very solid and has chisseled himself out wonderfully in the weight room. I expect him to be very solid and quick, with leaping ability. He will be a better defender than Hart. I believe he will shoot where Hart refuses to. At least I hope he will have more confidence on offense then Hart. Hart is a great hustler and a very good rebounder. That is true. But I prefer him coming in off the bench for like ten minutes a game and bring energy into the game like Stocks does. Stockton and Hart can be great guys off the bench. Stockton showed that last night. I say to give Landry-Edi Carter's minutes and half of Hart's which would give him 20.

Baseline
12-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Hart had problems with a biger more athletic guy and I didn't see much help. He has a very tough job. I'm way more concerned about Harris. His defence is very poor and he has no offensive move. When he gets the ball I know it will be the same moves. Check out every game when he has the ball. Its like a rerun of the previous. He will not go high in the draft, his athleticism is not being used properly.
I'd give Oklahoma some time!

allnet59
12-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Baseline. So right about Harris I don't thinly his kind of skills gets him to the nba. Maybe over seas. He needs to stay and work on his game for this year and next period.

CDC84
12-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Is Guy-Landry capable of scoring 8 pts?

My question is whether Guy is capable of holding Draymond Green to 8 fewer points than Mike Hart and Elias Harris were able to?

That's the real question.

His scoring is secondary. Not that he can't score.

montanazag88
12-11-2011, 10:45 PM
My question is whether Guy is capable of holding Draymond Green to 8 fewer points than Mike Hart and Elias Harris were able to?

That's the real question.

His scoring is secondary. Not that he can't score.

Good question, but I think Green required a double team way earlier in the game....similar to Sacre getting all the attention from the opening whistle.

Regarding Carter's poor play mentioned earlier, I believe we are watching a role player without a Steven Gray on the perimeter. He's just trying to do too much and at too rapid a pace. He was much more measured last year...maybe cautious is more accurate, but he was nonetheless still looking to the bucket only when the opportunity presented itself. Much less patient this year...

2wiceright
12-11-2011, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=allnet59;707817]I hope guy landry is as good as everyone on this board makes him out to be as it wasn't to long ago that was the hype on Bol Kong.

One thing about Bol Kong vs. Guy -Landry is that Few only hyped (maybe wrong word) only one of these guys, the latter. It really doesn't mean a whole lot when our board predicts someone to be "All-World". But when Few talks highly of a player, then I start to get excited about how he'll add to and fit in with the current players. And even though he's yet to step onto the reg. season floor, it's just a matter of "how good" he'll be (IMHO).

I'm hoping he'll be an impact player from day 1. But I've only been right Twice ( :lmao: )

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-12-2011, 05:10 AM
We don't need more offensive weapons to find seven points if we want to beat MSU. We need to cut seven of those awful turnovers.

Timeout!
12-12-2011, 05:33 AM
We don't need more offensive weapons to find seven points if we want to beat MSU. We need to cut seven of those awful turnovers.

+1

Also, someone or some game-plan to slow down Green would have been nice too.

11-13 from the floor, really? No excuse for a PF to ever score 34 pts vs our front court. Isn't that supposed to be our strength?

This rests solely on our defensive lapses and a Coach unable to devise a defensive game-plan on the fly...