• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BC1210is
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

This could be one of my favorite Bulldogs team

Yes, even after these two losses to Big Ten teams. Let's be realistic here, there are a lot of bright spots. The teams we lost to are some of the best teams in the Big Ten which looks to be one of the top conferences in the country with Indiana, Illinois, Mich St, Ohio St, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. These are times where I think about how it is great we are in the WCC and can usually win the conference and get the auto bid. Sure, I would like to see the Zags play better competition, improve throughout conference play and be better prepared for the NCAA tourney, but it is also nice to almost be a lock for the NCAA every year.

This team has 2 great freshman playing big minutes and doing pretty well despite some freshman TOs. For those new to GU ball, I don't remember too many times in the past where we have had 2 great freshman getting this kind of playing time. To me, this is good news because by the time conference play rolls around the freshman will be ready.

A lot of things have frustrated me watching the last 2 games but I think a big part of it was we got outcoached. Sure turnovers killed us and Green had a great game but it was fun to watch how Izzo actually instructed his players and managed the game. I like the fact that Few is now giving more minutes to Bell than Carter, I was calling for that the last few games. It is very hard for us to play a 3 guard lineup against these big, strong Big Ten teams but it will work better against the WCC. Is there a rule against playing Sacre and Dower at the same time? This will avoid these guys facing a double team every time they touch the ball, specifically if Hart is on the bench. Sure Hart is a great story and does all the great Pendo, Spink, etc things but he can't play the number of minutes he does. He will be great in situations but we are almost 4 on 5 on offense like we were with Meech in the past. Hopefully Landry can fill a role and we will see mostly Stockton, Pangos, Bell, Harris, Dower, and Sacre with Landry, Hart, Carter and Spangler filling spots.

I loved the color guy today, Dan Dakich, agreed with a lot of what he said, almost felt like watching the game with a coach. One thing he talked about when mich st was fighting through a screen was you try to not get touched by the screener and fight through. Would love it if we even occasionally tried to fight through screens instead of switching on every single one! Good teams just kill us on this because it forces us to play help D and leaves someone open.

Yeah, the refs made some horrible calls but didn't decide the outcome of the game.

I have been off the board since last season mostly because I didn't have the time and didn't like the direction the board was going. However, it is now 5am on the east coast and I finished watching the game I had to DVR and need to vent my thoughts.

Hope the Zags can turn things around by getting tougher on D and in a better flow on offense.

Go Zags.
  • ZagMan in Philly
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Good analysis from a Philly Zag, BC121...agree with what you said. I wish and hope that our veterans could do more consistently to help the young guys more right now. We will struggle to win against good teams, unless the veterans play well. The young guns can only do so much while learning on the job.
    Go Zags.

Comment

• bartruff1
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

The current team is always my favorite team..

Why not ? It is the best team we have. There have been (IMHO) maybe 9 better teams in the last ten years but this team is playing hard and improving and is , as always , fun to watch.

Comment

• BC1210is
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

Yup

Thanks to the real Philly Zag. Exactly, we need consistency and better play from everybody but early in the season it should be the upperclassmen like Harris and Sacre living up to their roles and being leaders.

Yeah, I agree Bartruff, I don't think this is a great Zags team but one of my favorites to watch. Probably because of the youth and potential. I am really enjoying watching Pangos, Stockton, and Bell learn and improve.

Comment

Working...
        X