PDA

View Full Version : A little reminder about our typical December freakout...

caduceus
12-10-2011, 10:48 PM
After the last couple of games, it's easy to get over-anxious about our team (and over-critical). A little perspective:

Last year at this time, we were 4-5.
The year before that, we were 7-2.
In '08-'09, we were 8-0, (and then lost 4 of our next 5).
In '07-'08, we were 8-2 (and then lost 2 of the next 3).
In '06-'07, we were 9-2 (and lost our next 4 in a row).

We made the dance all of those years.

We have 6 more games to close out the year and our OOC schedule. Four of those are home games, and only one will be at a hostile court.

Losses to Michigan State and Illinois are definitely not "bad losses" now, and I would venture to say that one or both of these teams will be strong contenders come March (and likely ranked). Same goes for Xavier should we lose that one.

Our OOC schedule is smaller this year because of 2 additional conference games (BYU), but one advantage of this is that we can have more quality wins later in the season, instead of the usual front-load in Nov/Dec (which I think is hard on the team).

In summary,

http://i.imgur.com/2Hxrk.gif

We'll be fine.

VinnyZag
12-10-2011, 11:17 PM
I think Arizona is a big game now. Really need that win -- both to make it possible to make the NCAAs without winning the WCC tournament and to have any chance of getting a decent seed.

They're not gonna win at Xavier, unless Holloway is suspended. So Arizona is their only chance for a good nonconference win.

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 05:39 AM
and getting better every game...Dennis Johnson's nephew is a joy to watch play basketball...I doubt we can beat them....they play in Seattle every year and that will make them more comfortable in that Arena...there is a very small " home court" advantage for Gonzaga. IMHO, that is truly a neutral court. I would not be surprised to see Arizona win the PAC 12 and play in two or more games in the NCAA.

McZag
12-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the recap and reminder. While our OC schedule is tough every years it's never impossible and the guys know where the opportunities are this month. There is plenty left to be excited about and to look forward to.