PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell Jr.

ZagHouse
12-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Tough loss tonight, but for me was the one bright spot for the Zags (even over Stockton). Would have liked to see him try to score more in the 2nd half, but am excited to see him progress as the season unfolds. Interesting that he got the nod to start over MC. I don't see him relinquishing his starting spot if he continues to play like he did.

04ZagFan
12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Absolutely. Gary has been great... He hasn't been real aggressive yet on offense, just kinda takes what is given to him.. Once he starts attacking the basket consistently, watch out.

I really hope we get to a point where our starting lineup is:

Stockton
Bell
Edi
Harris
Sacre

btzag
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Agree on Bell, he needs to be a focal point on offense and soon! Few should sit him down and explain that he has to take at least 10 shots a game or he runs extra sprints in practice.

Honestly he reminds me of Gray in how he has a great all around game but just is not a "give me the ball!" player. You have to push him to take more shots.

If we could just take a little aggresiveness away from Harris and gift it to Bell I would be happy.

Reborn
12-10-2011, 08:34 PM
It wasn't Bell's fault that he didn't shoot in the second half. Harris and Sacre dominated the shots in the second half, and I would guess it was by design. Sparty knew that they could guard one on one, and Green shut him down. Harris would NOT pass. You can't shoot if your not getting the ball. You can't shoot if your not having your plays called. As might be predictable, Few went with his low post players, and once again lost. He (Few) really does not seem to be able to be aware of what is going on the game. He is just not a good in-game coach.

ZagHouse
12-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I think Few probably challenged them to be more involved and aggressive. considering one's a senior and the other a junior, and their importance to the team's success--I think they should be the ones taking the majority of shots. How many bunnies did Harris miss at the rim? I know this is a Bell thread, but Harris was off all game. The alley-oop he missed in the first half was something we usually see him throw down.

ZagLawGrad
12-10-2011, 10:08 PM
The kid has lots of potential.

But as a greenhorn, he has a long ways to go. Too much to expect he will be an answer to this team's problems so far.

VinnyZag
12-10-2011, 11:09 PM
I think Bell might be GU's best player already. Especially when you consider how good a defender he is.

Seriously, who on this team is better than Bell? Sacre, maybe, but even that's not clear-cut.

GUnawinit
12-11-2011, 01:17 AM
right ON, beyond potential, GU is very lucky to have landed "Gary Bell"

He's beyond the future, Gary is the now.....

All the skills, stature, and proto-type NCAA player.

The type of player that always beat GU in the past, think about GBJ as a JR and SR!

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 05:53 AM
I don't see him, as good as he is, becoming one of the top 10 guards we have had here. We have been blessed in the past ...

Beer_Engineer
12-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Interesting that he got the nod to start over MC. I don't see him relinquishing his starting spot if he continues to play like he did.

I did not think it was as interesting as it was warranted. MC has played like he did at the beginning of last yr. Hope he regains at least his confidence. And while MC has continued to struggle, it seems as if Bell has continued to improve each game.

Just A Zag
12-11-2011, 08:31 AM
He kind of reminds me of Darren Collison. Maybe not as fast but a good defender who can score the basketball.

Timeout!
12-11-2011, 09:12 AM
As yet...I don't see him, as good as he is, becoming one of the top 10 guards we have had here. We have been blessed in the past ...

bartfuff, I love ur stuff man, yet really?

I'm not going to say either way, as we're just 7 games into his Frosh season, yet he's good, very good.

I will say he's further along than Pargo was at the same stage, if he's a comparison. He's already one of the best shooters we've had in a while. Gary is clearly one of the best on-ball defenders this program has EVER seen and I feel it isn't even close. His raw strength is one of the more impressive we've had. He's shown he can get to he hoop when he wants to, yet isn't the #1 option in our offense.

Actually, now that I think of it, which true-Frosh guard has had a better start to the their GU careers? Maybe Blake Stepp, maybe.

I mean, if we're talking 1st years, guys like Santangelo red-shirted, Raivio avg 11 mins & 3pts, Pargo played spotty mins at best & was a niche player, Bouldin was used primarily at SF, Dickau was on the bench at UW, etc etc...

I'm not claiming he is going to be 'one of the top-10' Zag guards of all-time, yet based on your top-10, not many have had better starts to their career and most are built up to have been better than they were in their first couple seasons.

As it relates to guards, I would honestly say only one has had a better OVERALL start to their respective career. Again, Blake Stepp.

Gary Bell has the talent, skill, defense, hustle, heart, shot to work his way up the charts when its all said and done. He's only played 7 games and its only going to improve, especially since he appears more confident and loose every night out. He's just getting started, imo.

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I would agree that he (and Pangos) have played as well or better than most as freshmen.. and it is very important how you start out...but it is even more important, how you finish...at this time, I don't see the upside to a Bouldin et al level...look, I love them to death, and and they are going to get better...I just don't see them as POY's in the WCC much less All American's or NBA players or on the World Poker Tour... I hope I am wrong...the great thing is that they are here and will likely be here for years to enjoy..

04ZagFan
12-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I think Bell might be GU's best player already. Especially when you consider how good a defender he is.

Seriously, who on this team is better than Bell? Sacre, maybe, but even that's not clear-cut.

I agree with you. Defensively, he's been huge. He's shown he can be a deadly 3 point shooter. He can finish at the rim...

I don't think there is any doubt that he's better Sacre... Sacre is one of the best bigs in the country when he's got single coverage and a size advantage.. Of course, once you throw double and triple teams on him, he's the same player he was as a sophomore, and he'll force a terrible shot, or turn it over...

We need more Gary Bell... More aggressiveness from Gary Bell. Few needs to recognize that pounding the ball inside to our bigs is NOT working.

maynard g krebs
12-11-2011, 02:28 PM
I would agree that he (and Pangos) have played as well or better than most as freshmen.. and it is very important how you start out...but it is even more important, how you finish...at this time, I don't see the upside to a Bouldin et al level...look, I love them to death, and and they are going to get better...I just don't see them as POY's in the WCC much less All American's or NBA players or on the Wold Poker Tour... I hope I am wrong...the great thing is that they are here and will likely be here for years to enjoy..

Gary is deferring to the veterans at this point, playing within the system and trying to fit in. We haven't seen him begin to scratch the surface of what he can do. I've said it before, but down the stretch last year, he carried a team with little talent other that him to the final 8 at state. His performance in about a half dozen consecutive loser-out games at Districts and opening rounds at State was the equal of Morrison's performance in setting the state tourney scoring record. His 29 point 1st half against Arlington in the opening round at State on 10 of 12 (6 of 7 threes) was as good as I've ever seen in person by a hs player, and I've seen about a dozen NBA players in person when they were in hs.

You may not have seen it yet, but you will. It's just a matter of when. I'd be shocked if GB isn't consensus top 3 among GU guards by the time he's finished, barring injury.

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Really...you know you are talking NBA level....I sure hope you are right.. a guard with skills at that level can make everyone better...can carry a team to big time wins...

Baseline
12-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Gary is the most promising thing we have going. He has many facets to his game and he appears to be improving on a nice pace. The only thing that bothers me is him not taking the shots when open, there is no way he should be deferring to anyone.
I think

jazzdelmar
12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
if he's deferring, even a little, then that's hurting the team......needs to be rectified......a little less black hole passes and more run to your spot and pop.....geez, how long has it been?

Timeout!
12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Gary Bell, if you're reading this, it can become your team in a hurry. Take over, much like other elite Freshman do for UNC/Kentucky/Indiana/etc. The time is now. He's the one player on this roster who doesn't need seasoning or to be brought along slowly. GBJ has it ALL, imho. Should be our #1 option to shoot, slash, attack the hoop, or draw the foul. Our #2 option should be to isolate either Sacre or Harris after Gary Bell has looked to score. After that, our bigs can make their move or find Pangos or Stockton floating on the perimeter. Reset to the PG if nothing is there and double-screen to get GBJ open or curl him get an open lane for his ability to drive. Allow Pangos & Stockton to bring the ball down the court, work the pick 'n roll, and reset the half-court. Gary Bell could be scoring 15-20 pts per game given the plays. He IS our best player/talent right now.

jazzdelmar
12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Gary Bell, if you're reading this, it can become your team in a hurry. Take over, much like other elite Freshman do for UNC/Kentucky/Indiana/etc. The time is now. He's the one player on this roster who doesn't need seasoning or to be brought along slowly. GBJ has it ALL, imho. Should be our #1 option to shoot, slash, attack the hoop, or draw the foul. Our #2 option should be to isolate either Sacre or Harris after Gary Bell has looked to score. After that, our bigs can make their move or find Pangos or Stockton floating on the perimeter. Reset to the PG if nothing is there and double-screen to get GBJ open or curl him get an open lane for his ability to drive. Allow Pangos & Stockton to bring the ball down the court, work the pick 'n roll, and reset the half-court. Gary Bell could be scoring 15-20 pts per game given the plays. He IS our best player/talent right now.

Plus one

maynard g krebs
12-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Really...you know you are talking NBA level....I sure hope you are right.. a guard with skills at that level can make everyone better...can carry a team to big time wins...

Not projecting that. Just said his hs performance in hs was equal to those guys (Brooks, Ridnour, Crawford, Stuckey, Roy, Morrison etc.) That's not really debateable, the results say it's a fact. And saying he'll be top 3 among GU guards doesn't say he'll make the NBA, obviously. Only Dickau did, as a journeyman backup. But being a great college player often doesn't translate to the NBA. GB would have to improve as a distributor/creator for others to get there, because he's too small to play the 2. Whether he plays in the NBA isn't that relevant to me. Just saying I expect him to be the equal of or better than any Zag guard except Dickau, and that imo he has the highest ceiling of any GU guard in the 14 years I've been watching.

maynard g krebs
12-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Agree, but not gonna happen. GU coaches bring frosh along slowly and expect them to defer to upperclassmen. Morrison is the prime, but not the only example. It cuts both ways; i.e. the program is remarkably consistent but never great. It is what it is- can be frustrating at times, but fans of 95% of D1 teams envy the results.

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Off the top of my head I believe in addition to Dan, Framn and Stockton and Burgess (ABA) and Pargo (just signed)....but, I know what you mean ...lately, and I hope you are right... peace...

zag944
12-12-2011, 09:11 AM
It doesnt show in the averages because he had a rough start, but Bell is doing considerably better than any other guard when it comes to not turning the ball over. 1 turnover and he was only out of the game for three minutes.

Considering he scores and defends better than any of the other guards as well, the 37 minutes against MSU was well earned.

maynard g krebs
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Off the top of my head I believe in addition to Dan, Framn and Stockton and Burgess (ABA) and Pargo (just signed)....but, I know what you mean ...lately, and I hope you are right... peace...

Oops, I wasn't clear. Just talking about what's within my frame of reference, from '97 on. Not including the guys before that- my bad.

DixieZag
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
It was almost precisely at this point in the season during Morrison's freshman year that, my brother - during the middle of a game - leaned into me and said, "your team's best player is a freshman" and he was right.

And I think that is where we are now with GBJ. He got 37 minutes the other night, so Few recognizes that he has to be on the floor as much as possible. I hope that Few NOW begins to see that dumping the ball into the middle with our upperclassmen is NOT going to beat good teams. Section 116 knows that, I can assure you, from what I heard during the game.

Therefore, it is time to loosen the leash on Gary and allow him to create and play his game. I feel the same about Pangos, who hasn't been lights out from the 3 but has made some impressive drives to the basket when he was allowed to. The two of them rotating through spotting each other up and driving is every bit as good a plan as letting Rob or Elias try to go one on one with bigger stronger defenders.