PDA

View Full Version : Early Festivist - Time for the airing of the grievances

Hextall7388
12-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I am sure everyone is frustrated after watching that game. I am trying not to overreact, but the I am amazed that the only real game plan seems to be pass it to Sacre in the post. How many turnovers did we have passing it into double and triple teams! When the pass was made, Sacre seemed to have difficulty with simple math. If 3 people on on you, that leaves 2 people covering 4...pass the ball out!

Not a bad loss...just very disappointing

GeorgiaZagFan
12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
...is put us in position of winning the WCC with a 12-2 league record, about a 23-7 overall record and a 8-9 seed in the tournament...which of course will have us meeting up with Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio State, or UConn in the 2nd round on their home court ...I believe we've rented that movie before....

kingzag
12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I am sure everyone is frustrated after watching that game. I am trying not to overreact, but the I am amazed that the only real game plan seems to be pass it to Sacre in the post. How many turnovers did we have passing it into double and triple teams! When the pass was made, Sacre seemed to have difficulty with simple math. If 3 people on on you, that leaves 2 people covering 4...pass the ball out!

Not a bad loss...just very disappointing

Great post. Totally agree. Sacre has no vision along with hands of stone.

Bulldog
12-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, would have been more successful launching 3's than losing the ball time after time feeding the post.

VinnyZag
12-10-2011, 11:14 PM
It's Festivus, by the way.

kreese555
12-11-2011, 12:58 AM

Thank you, that was bothering me too!

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 06:43 AM
It's Festivus, by the way. Is there going to be wrestling ???

Pargo the Destroyer
12-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm in for the feats of strength.

A to Zags
12-11-2011, 09:13 AM
in tonights game. No MM or Spangler. I'd hoped to see Ryan get his feet wet against a physical team but coach must feel he wasn't ready. A comment on this board about him being quite homesick earlier has got me nervous. I personally would love to see more players in the OOC schedule. Could some of the lack of sharpness/heavy footedness be related to over practice?

kclubfounder
12-11-2011, 09:23 AM
The post asked for grievances. My top 2 are the play of Carter and Harris. These two guys should be playing SO much better. If they would snap out of it, and if this Guy guy lives up to a portion of they hype, this team really could be great.

I've seen plenty of Zag teams that improve dramatically as the season progresses. I'm hoping this is another one of them.

Timeout!
12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Honest question: can Sacre pass the ball?

I'm trying to remember a time, while double -- even triple teamed when he passed the ball to a streaking Harris or a wide-open guard.

If he has, its very rare occurrence.

When he gets the ball in the post, and quickly triple-teamed, we need to cut to the hoop or immediately read the defense and pass out of it. What gives? Why can't he seem to do it?

This worries me more than anything else, b/c every single WCC team are going to double Rob. He better get used to it or find an answer for it, or it could be a long season ahead.

ZagHouse
12-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Few seems to have settled on the players that are going to be getting THE minutes a bit earlier this year. Makes me sad to see someone be frozen out on the bench especially given what has transpired with transfers the last couple years. I'm hoping with the addition of Edi, we see some different line-ups, and not just less minutes for Hart.

Bocco
12-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Honest question: can Sacre pass the ball?

I'm trying to remember a time, while double -- even triple teamed when he passed the ball to a streaking Harris or a wide-open guard.

If he has, its very rare.

When he gets the ball in the post, and quickly triple-teamed, we need to cut to the hoop or immediately read the defense and pass out of it. What gives? Why can't he seem to do it?

This worries me more than anything else, b/c every single WCC team are going to double Rob. He better get used to it or find an answer for it, or it could be a long season ahead.

it's tough to pass the ball when you have brought it down to your waist and 2-3 opponents have collapsed on you, until he keeps the ball higher, he won't be able to pass out of the double and triple teams

madness
12-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Agreed, I praised Sacre early in the season for finally learning to keep the ball high. He has regressed mightily in the last two games.

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 10:12 AM
it's tough to pass the ball when you have brought it down to your waist and 2-3 opponents have collapsed on you, until he keeps the ball higher, he won't be able to pass out of the double and triple teams I sure as hell haven't studied it, but my impression is that he can pass the ball into the key, but has trouble passing it out of the key. I can't help but enjoy that all the talk last year about the effing 4 on 5 offense and the double teaming inside was blamed on Meech....every year we need a new whipping boy...

04ZagFan
12-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I sure as hell haven't studied it, but my impression is that he can pass the ball into the key, but has trouble passing it out of the key. I can't help but enjoy that all the talk last year about the effing 4 on 5 offense and the double teaming inside was blamed on Meech....every year we need a new whipping boy...

Seems odd that we're still seeing some of the same problems with Meech gone, huh? We've got deadly 3 point shooters in Bell and Pangos on the perimeter now, and yet there still seems to be issues! Mind boggling. ;)

GorgeZag
12-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Since its Festivus and I can get away with complaining, here's mine:

1. Name the last 5 players that truely improved/developed from their first two years to their last two. I'm talking a exponential improvement. Besides Ammo.

2. Somebody needs to be held accountable for the abysmal recruiting job the past couple of years prior to Bell and Pangos.

3. We've been soft since the early 2000's

4. with points 2 and 3 in mind, we need to get some solid bigs in here or the talents of Bell and Pangos will be for naught.

5. It troubles me, to look back at those early 2000's teams, with a new arena, a up and coming coach, and crazy fan support that there hasn't been a deeper run in the tourny. Just imagine where we would be if it wasn't for the fluke called Adam Morrison (a true once in a lifetime talent)
I get it, alot of its luck, seeding, injuries, ect. but I really thought we would be a annual Sweet Sixteen type team. Especially with traditional powers UCLA and Arizona having a down cycle.
The next couple of years are really going to define what this program will be. Will it be one of the best of the West or will it just be competing for the WCC?

Rant over Happy Festivus

Saxon_zag
12-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Just sick of seeing the way Few handles this team the last couple of years, sickening and inexplicable rotations and handling of players in general. I give him a b+ in recruiting, but who cares what kind of scholarship athletes you get f you sit them and nearly force them to transfer in favor of Walkons with 0 offensive upside. As far as in game adjustments go he gets an F

kclubfounder
12-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Just sick of seeing the way Few handles this team the last couple of years, sickening and inexplicable rotations and handling of players in general. I give him a b+ in recruiting, but who cares what kind of scholarship athletes you get f you sit them and nearly force them to transfer in favor of Walkons with 0 offensive upside. As far as in game adjustments go he gets an F

You have the audacity to call 04Zagfan the new Jazz???

:explode:

ZagLawGrad
12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
The post asked for grievances. My top 2 are the play of Carter and Harris. These two guys should be playing SO much better. If they would snap out of it, and if this Guy guy lives up to a portion of they hype, this team really could be great.

I've seen plenty of Zag teams that improve dramatically as the season progresses. I'm hoping this is another one of them.

+1

maynard g krebs
12-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Perhaps a Festivist is a practitioner of the rites of Festivus. That reminds me- it's time to decorate the pole.

zag buddy
12-11-2011, 01:48 PM
stopping Green, Harris hasn't a clue, Mike Heart is not big enough, The only one on Gonzagas team who is big enogh and good enough defensively to stop him sat 40 minutes on the bench. Ryan Spangler would have slowed him way down and if he fouls out, so what. Some times I do not understand these coaches or coach, since I'm not sure how much imput the assistants have.

zag buddy
12-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I watch the repays of the games and pay special attention to how the players did their job. Harris and Dower are two of the worst defensive players I have seen on a Gonzaga team. If I were a coach during practice I woulld set up a drill. I would put blinders on Elias so he could only watch his man. then I would have him guard Mike Hart who is all over the court. He spends much of his time watching the ball movement and totally loses his man. Sam Dower just may not have the ability to develope the skils necessary to be a decent defensive player. Even when he is in position his foot movement is so poor he gets moved around easily. When he moves he could take smaller steps, and when he is stationary take a wider stance, it would help. Offensive powerhouses defensive liabllities.

kclubfounder
12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Offensive powerhouses defensive liabllities.

You are being pretty generous with the offensive powerhouse comment, at least concerning this year.

bartruff1
12-11-2011, 02:47 PM
You have the audacity to call 04Zagfan the new Jazz???

:explode:...no contest...04 is a polly compared to that...a new standard..Sax is the Man...we are not worthy !

Vanzagger
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM

not have mattered last night, but we need confident players. I give Few and staff an A for recruiting. An F for game management. We have a culture here of half the team looking over their shoulder when they miss a shot. Except for a Few.

montanazag88
12-11-2011, 10:30 PM
- Sacre is dropping the ball way too low again (5th year senior should have worked this out his freshman year..and so should have the coaches)
- Sacre needs to kick out of the post better
- Hart's lack of offense makes his defender an automatic double team no matter where he parks on the floor (is there a solution?)
- Entry passes to the post by all Zags need improvement
- Few's game management in question (noted by 32 point night for best player on the floor - would the half been a good time to call for double team...hmmm...MSU doubling Sacre was a pregame advertisement for all intents and purposes and Rob pales in comparison to Green....)
- MK needs to support the rotation (seems logical he poses some threat of aggressive play along with Hart's, but without Hart's offensive drawbacks...or does he have other drawbacks?)
- Turnovers and youth are linked (particularly against better competition...let's see if this improves...against the better competition)
- Recruiting has lagged (Three guards lack the size of past 3-point duets and trios and Bell is the only one without a set shot to hinder his shooting over better perimeter defenders.)
- KO is soarly missed in the rotation these days (Could Guy and MK be the a solution for taking the stress off of our lack of quick bigs in the rotation?)
- Harris is playing much more aggressively (true and good to see, but are his moves as fundamentally sound as they were his freshman year and can he eliminate turnovers when putting it on the floor? - if these get better, look out.)

Lots of season left...and some great competitive tests on the way...painfully looking forward to seeing progress.