PDA

View Full Version : Spartie

HRZag
12-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Apparently they are not aware that they are even playing us.

http://www.mlive.com/forums/msubb/index.ssf?extlink?login=login

It seems to be a big deal to us.

Oh well.

Go Zags.

:cheers:

JPtheBeasta
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
You think they would be more of GU with the Jud Heathcote connessione

bartruff1
12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
But it is a very big deal to me (as Vice President Biden would say) and I would assume all basketball fans in Spokane and all the fans of the Bulldogs. . If you want to see them in the Kennel, go, because it will probably never happen again... It is hard to imagine a more elite program doing this. I suspect Coach Heathcote is a important reason why they are coming...I have great respect for Coach Izzo and his program , a class act....in a way, I am sorry they will lose....

04ZagFan
12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
But it is a very big deal to me (as Vice President Biden would say) and I would assume all basketball fans in Spokane and all the fans of the Bulldogs. . If you want to see them in the Kennel, go, because it will probably never happen again... It is hard to imagine a more elite program doing this. I suspect Coach Heathcote is a important reason why they are coming...I have great respect for Coach Izzo and his program , a class act....in a way, I am sorry they will lose....

"THIS IS A BIG F***ING DEAL" haha

VaBeachZAG
12-09-2011, 04:46 AM
If the Zags are fortunate enough to send MSU home with a loss, I think more than a few Spartan fans will take notice! From what I have read, Heathcote is indeed the reason (probably sole reason) MSU is coming to Spokane. I believe Heathcote asked Izzo if he could please bring MSU to Spokane before he (Heathcote) died. So Heathcote will get his wish tomorrow night. Let there be no mistaking Heathcote's loyalty in this game - he will be for the Spartans. In fact, after the game was already scheduled for K2, Heathcote warned Izzo that he should not play the Zags in the Kennel. But his warning came too late.

bartruff1
12-09-2011, 05:00 AM
On Few's show, he said that Jud would indeed be rooting for a MSU win and that he understood that, and that Jud ,as usual , would be a very big Zag fan for all the other games. I can believe the warning about the Kennel , and was surprised they agreed to play there...and it may very well cost them a win....this is a remakable opportunity for Spokane, and Izzo really has nothing to win and everything to lose and deserves credit for doing this. I cannot wait for the game and for Izzo's reaction to the atmosphere .

LongIslandZagFan
12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
That board stinks... Since when is a forum board not iPad friendly?

willandi
12-09-2011, 07:24 AM

What's an ipad? Is it like this computer thingy I have?

Zag 77
12-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Willandi, I think it is like a cell phone that connects to the internet. Don't go by me. I just learned last year that on your cell phone you can type messages that other people can read on their cell phones. My kids can even take pictures on their cell phones and send them to people, but that is way beyond me.

primal23
12-09-2011, 08:52 AM
On Few's show, he said that Jud would indeed be rooting for a MSU win and that he understood that, and that Jud ,as usual , would be a very big Zag fan for all the other games. I can believe the warning about the Kennel , and was surprised they agreed to play there...and it may very well cost them a win....this is a remakable opportunity for Spokane, and Izzo really has nothing to win and everything to lose and deserves credit for doing this. I cannot wait for the game and for Izzo's reaction to the atmosphere .

Always liked Izzo, classy coach.

primal23
12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
What's an ipad? Is it like this computer thingy I have?

Cross between a computer and a feminine product.

Marcel the Shell
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey, I've been validated!

I already sent a private message to the OP because it wouldn't let me post yet, but that forum isn't really indicative of MSU fans. I found this site via the Red Cedar Message Board (http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/Michigan-State-Spartans-Message-Board-Forum-93). A lot of off-topic stuff over there, but there is basketball talk, too.

Always respected GU, and Jud being a big fan doesn't hurt either. Every time there's an Izzo-to-the-NBA scare, Mark Few always comes up as a guy MSU fans would want if he were willing to leave.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Saturday's game. If it seems like we're not excited as a whole, I think it has a lot to do with football hangover. We're still working our way into basketball mode. But I'm Interested to see how MSU reacts to the Kennel. We haven't had a big, true road game yet this year, so we'll learn a lot playing in such a tough environment. Harris and Sacre gave us fits two years ago. We never know what to expect from our two centers, Payne and Nix, but we'll need a solid game from them if we hope to get a win. I'm also worried about 3-point defense, which MSU has struggled with quite a bit in recent history.

I'm doing anything I can to avoid studying for exams, so I'd be happy to talk hoops with you guys. Saturday is a big game for both teams. It's cool as an MSU fan to see another fanbase excited about us coming to play. I'm glad Izzo is willing to do things like this, because as a student, I know there's nothing like a true home game against a big-time opponent, and I know you guys will have the Kennel rockin.

Sparty On
12-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Gonzaga fans. Just wanted to let you know that Mlive is a terrible example of MSU fans. The real action is at The Red Cedar Message Board:

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/Michigan-State-Spartans-Message-Board-Forum-93

You are correct though, not a lot of discussion about this upcoming game against Gonzaga. I think it will be a close, tough game. The Spartans are playing well at times, but are inconsistent. Our team is young and we have a number of players that are still trying to define their roles within the team. This game will be a good test of their ability.

You'll see a lot of minutes out of Draymond Green, Keith Appling, Brandon Wood and Derrick Nix, and Izzo typically does a lot of matchup substitutions, so you'll see significant minutes from guys like Payne, Dawson, Trice and probably Austin Thornton. Our bench plays a big part. Our team is playing physical, fast and has been rebounding well on both sides of the court, though as is typical with young teams there are a lot of mistakes and turnovers to go with that. I think they'll be a little sharper Saturday night than what we saw against some lesser opponents in recent weeks.

Looking forward to the matchup.

Just1Spartan
12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
To piggy back on Marcel's post. The Red Cedar Message Board is really where you should go if you are looking for any MSU bball discussion. Basketball talk is definitely not where it normally is this time of year due to the emotionally crushing loss in the BigTen championship game. That, and I think some fans may have been a little disenchanted with the 0-2 start v UNC in the Carrier Classic and v Duke in MSG. Despite all of that a lot of Spartans, myself included, are very excited for tomorrow's game.

It's great these 2 top shelf basketball programs with tremendous mutual respect for each other get to face off. If the Spartans are able to come out of Spokane with a victory, IMO it will be our biggest road win in close to a decade.

kitzbuel
12-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Exactly.

DixieZag
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM
To piggy back on Marcel's post. The Red Cedar Message Board is really where you should go if you are looking for any MSU bball discussion. Basketball talk is definitely not where it normally is this time of year due to the emotionally crushing loss in the BigTen championship game. That, and I think some fans may have been a little disenchanted with the 0-2 start v UNC in the Carrier Classic and v Duke in MSG. Despite all of that a lot of Spartans, myself included, are very excited for tomorrow's game.

It's great these 2 top shelf basketball programs with tremendous mutual respect for each other get to face off. If the Spartans are able to come out of Spokane with a victory, IMO it will be our biggest road win in close to a decade.

Welcome to all the Spartans. Thanks for the tip on the boards. We just had a pretty good time with some good Illinois fans, talking BB with a ton of mutual respect, must be a B1G thing to have great fans. We have had some, um - interesting? discussions with some fans of teams in the Big East and ACC that did not have a lot of respect for our little program.

But the MSU respect goes wayback, back to when Heathcote went to all our games - before we began going to the tournament every year. I believe it was Jud that arranged for Few & Co. to go to some MSU practices back in Few's first couple of years coaching to watch how Izzo coached rebounding, which helped us tremendously. Then we have the shared experience of playing one of the best early season games of All Time in Maui. And, two years ago, we started our season against you guys at your place with a very well played, tight game that sounded more like February than November.

Already a lot of history and we have so much respect for Izzo and his players/staff and this game, the thought of one of the country's top 5 programs actually playing us on our campus, not downtown in the arena, not over in Seattle, is really heady stuff for an undergrad campus of 6,000 (probably sounds strange to a school with 50,000).

So, again, welcome and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

cjm720
12-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Cross between a computer and a feminine product.

I just spit out my coffee LOL

Just1Spartan
12-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Welcome to all the Spartans. Thanks for the tip on the boards. We just had a pretty good time with some good Illinois fans, talking BB with a ton of mutual respect, must be a B1G thing to have great fans. We have had some, um - interesting? discussions with some fans of teams in the Big East and ACC that did not have a lot of respect for our little program.

But the MSU respect goes wayback, back to when Heathcote went to all our games - before we began going to the tournament every year. I believe it was Jud that arranged for Few & Co. to go to some MSU practices back in Few's first couple of years coaching to watch how Izzo coached rebounding, which helped us tremendously. Then we have the shared experience of playing one of the best early season games of All Time in Maui. And, two years ago, we started our season against you guys at your place with a very well played, tight game that sounded more like February than November.

Already a lot of history and we have so much respect for Izzo and his players/staff and this game, the thought of one of the country's top 5 programs actually playing us on our campus, not downtown in the arena, not over in Seattle, is really heady stuff for an undergrad campus of 6,000 (probably sounds strange to a school with 50,000).

Thanks for the warm, welcome! Glad to hear you had a positive experience with Illinois fans. The MSU and Illinois fan-bases have had a really good relationship since the 2005 Final 4 when we went all out cheering for eachother. Some of the other Big Ten fan bases aren't quite as friendly.

And OH MAN, that game in Maui, what an amazing back & forth game that was! I will never forget that one. I was still in undergrad for that one. Goran Suton as a freshman missed a bunny layup at the end of that game that (if memory serves) would have won it for us, or maybe just sent it to another OT. Either way he did not live that missed shot down until the end of his Senior year when he played like a MAN in a couple NCAA tourney games for us, he basically put the team on his back down the stretch in the game against Kansas.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to another great chapter in MSU v Gonzaga history. MSU fans are definitely nervous about picking up another loss so early after dropping the first 2, but no doubt in my mind it is going to be one hell of a battle to bring a W back to East Lansing.

Sparty On
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words. It's a little strange and nice to hear you guys praise MSU as a program. Counting us among the Top 5 programs is debatable, but I take it as a complement either way.

I think Izzo knows that winning big road tests like this game at Gonzaga (and not some neutral site BS) can help MSU take that mythical "next step". He also knows the experience will help the team in March, and I think that is why he schedules such tough non-conference matchups. I'm sure Izzo is drilling that into our players. So make no mistake... this is a big game for MSU even if we fans are still licking our wounds from football a bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing a loud and rowdy crowd and seeing how our team responds to that.

As far as respect, the fact that Jud is a big fan of Gonzaga helps. Also, that epic battle in 2005 is still among the best non-tournament games I have ever seen. Most people recognize Mark Few as a great coach and he's been able to sustain success at Gonzaga for a while, far longer than most people expected. You guys should do whatever it takes to hang on to him, he is a popular guy in East Lansing...

Sparty On
12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
The MSU and Illinois fan-bases have had a really good relationship since the 2005 Final 4 when we went all out cheering for eachother. .

That 2005 Final Four was awesome. That whole tournament was an incredible run for both MSU and Illinois. I was at the Arizona/Illinois regional final game in Chicago that year, friggin unbelievable the amount of talent that Bruce Webber had on the floor that year.

Illinois fans were really good people that year.

DixieZag
12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Watch out for the Illini this year, their big man is developing very nicely and their guards shot the ball well against us. Of course, we heard from their reporters that they played their best game all year against us so take that with a grain of salt. Opponents' guards often have "career" games against us - we can't seem to design a defense that can consistently pressure the three point shooters, so GU appears in many players' personal highlight reels entitled "The night I went 11 of 14 from 3"

But we do seem to be doing a better job of creating turnovers this year, granted we haven't played anyone good at all, but we seem to be more active defensively.

One of the big questions going into this game, I think, is whether or not we can put enough defensive pressure on your guards to interrupt the flow of your offense, get some TO's and some easy baskets. Our guards are young but they make up for it by being really small :) and not blindingly fast. They do have high BB IQ - all of them, Pangos/Bell/Stockton.

Marcel the Shell
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Watch out for the Illini this year, their big man is developing very nicely and their guards shot the ball well against us. Of course, we heard from their reporters that they played their best game all year against us so take that with a grain of salt. Opponents' guards often have "career" games against us - we can't seem to design a defense that can consistently pressure the three point shooters, so GU appears in many players' personal highlight reels entitled "The night I went 11 of 14 from 3"

But we do seem to be doing a better job of creating turnovers this year, granted we haven't played anyone good at all, but we seem to be more active defensively.

One of the big questions going into this game, I think, is whether or not we can put enough defensive pressure on your guards to interrupt the flow of your offense, get some TO's and some easy baskets. Our guards are young but they make up for it by being really small :) and not blindingly fast. They do have high BB IQ - all of them, Pangos/Bell/Stockton.

How much 2-3 do you play? We've been hearing all week that our last game, against a team that played predominantly 2-3, would be good prep for Gonzaga. Our freshman point guard Travis Trice did a very nice job hitting open shots and attacking the zone, but if CCSU was bigger, I think we would have struggled more than we did inside. Harris and Sacre worry me a little on both ends of the floor, especially since our bigs are sometimes foul prone.

Keith Appling will probably be the fastest guard you guys see all season. He'll be the fastest guard a lot of people see though. He doesn't seem as quick as Kalin Lucas was, but he's close and he goes from end to end as fast as anyone. Good finisher and a great defender and rebounder. Trice is really stepping into the point guard role well so that's allowing Appling to play off the ball some, where he's used to playing.

Our other guard to look out for is Brandon Wood. He's a 5th year from Valpo. Really started shooting the ball well a couple weeks ago, and he's a very crafty guard. He likes to use floaters and such when he gets inside 10-12 feet. He struggled in our last game, along with our freshman wing Branden Dawson, but I expect them to be better and more focused Saturday.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how our guards, especially Trice, Dawson and another freshman Brandan Kearney, handle the atmosphere. If GU gets going early, we'll see if we can weather the storm and settle down.

DixieZag
12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
The zone that we generally play is a 3-2 (I think) and we usually use it with some sort of pressure up the court to wear down the shot clock, we play primarily man up defense but against Illinois their guards were able to spring loose against us for slashing lay-ups. That led us to the zone, which in Few's words "worked for a while." I suspect you will see lots of changing defenses, we are pretty deep, we'll go at least 9 deep if not 10 and have various different skills on the bench.

The biggest weapon we lack is a big, long, wing. We have one, supposed to be pretty good, too - but he will be wearing slacks and dress shoes, Guy Landry-Edi, he is suspended for 8 games by NCAA Kommittee on Amatuerism Like Pretense, he is a JC transfer who played 4 games when he was 16 with a pro team in Paris, "pro" is interestingly defined by the Kommittee b/c I don't think he was paid at all. Anyway, he won't be with us until the Arizona game.

Shockingly, it will not be shocking if you see Pangos, Bell and Stockton on the floor at the same time, none of them are over 6'1 but like I said, they make up for it by being fairly slow too - 'cept Bell, he is our best on the ball defender but he has not started yet, but that might change Saturday.

Harris and Sacre are the strength of the team, both are great kids, sweetest guys you will ever meet but can play tough tough tough - - though both can take minutes off while on the floor, its maddening. Many of us are still waiting for Harris to truly "break out" - he is an athletic freak, very strong, very explosive, good shooter but can have bad hands at times.

I'll let others weigh in here, I am no BB expert, we do have some on this board, you will know them when you see them.

Marcel the Shell
12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
The biggest weapon we lack is a big, long, wing. We have one, supposed to be pretty good, too - but he will be wearing slacks and dress shoes, Guy Landry-Edi, he is suspended for 8 games by NCAA Kommittee on Amatuerism Like Pretense, he is a JC transfer who played 4 games when he was 16 with a pro team in Paris, "pro" is interestingly defined by the Kommittee b/c I don't think he was paid at all. Anyway, he won't be with us until the Arizona game.

Going by this paragraph, I could see Branden Dawson having a nice game for us. He's 6-foot-6, strong and just an uber athlete. Izzo was furious with him after our last game for not being focused.

He recorded the first double-double of his career that night, so that's the kind of potential he has.

Subway Sub of the Game
12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
You guys should do whatever it takes to hang on to (Few), he is a popular guy in East Lansing...

He is also popular in Eugene, Tucson and Pullman from what I gather.