PDA

View Full Version : Battle in Seattle Trivia - Or Not

75Zag
12-07-2011, 02:57 PM
The BIS is still 10 days away, but did you know that between tonight and December 17th, the day of the BIS, the sun will set in Seattle at exactly the same time every night? How can this be? I was taught that the sun sets a little bit earlier each night as the days get shorter? How will this affect the outcome of the BIS? Those sneaky people from Arizona are always yapping about their year-round sunshine. Do they control the sun?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016950790_sunset07m.html

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

ExtremeJim
12-07-2011, 03:54 PM
... the sun will set in Seattle at exactly the same time every night? How can this be? I was taught that the sun sets a little bit earlier each night as the days get shorter?

It's because "Gonzaga" and "Arizona" are the only two Division I names that both contain seven letters, of which the middle letter is "Z".

Hence, the names can be mixed as shown in the header, literally causing the sun to stop in its path around the earth and look for a second in astonishment. One second in solar time equals a week on earth, due the size discrepancy, hence the week of sunsets at the same time.

If you're one of these galileiacs that thinks the earth revolves around the sun, I don't know what I could say to convince you.

adoptedzag
12-08-2011, 05:21 AM
lol

gamagin
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
It's because "Gonzaga" and "Arizona" are the only two Division I names that both contain seven letters, of which the middle letter is "Z".

Hence, the names can be mixed as shown in the header, literally causing the sun to stop in its path around the earth and look for a second in astonishment. One second in solar time equals a week on earth, due the size discrepancy, hence the week of sunsets at the same time.

If you're one of these galileiacs that thinks the earth revolves around the sun, I don't know what I could say to convince you.

I think you are on to something here. Can I have some ?

75Zag
12-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I think you are on to something here. Can I have some ?

Drugs not Hugs!

Or did I get that backwards?:doh::doh:

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

maynard g krebs
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Days are still getting shorter, but the sunrise is getting later while sunset is staying the same. I think after the solstice, sunrise stays the same for a couple weeks while sunset gets later. Has to do with complicated stuff like the curvature of the earth and tilt of its axis that maynard g krebs is not smart enough to understand.

Maybe a Husky could explain it. They have an elite academic institution, according to what I have read on their board.