PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Analyst confident that MSU will win

ldszagfan
12-07-2011, 12:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/NextEdit14/writers-roundtable-our-experts-answer-five-big-questions-next-college-basketball

1. What will be the next currently unranked team to emerge nationally?

Myron Medcalf: Michigan State's moment is coming. The Spartans have won six in a row since falling to North Carolina and Duke in their first two games. When they win at No. 22 Gonzaga on Saturday night, they'll be back on the national radar.

What bothers me is that he writes "WHEN they win", like there's not even a doubt about it. In all honesty though, I've never heard of this analyst, so his opinion isn't that big a thing (then again, even if this was a well-known analyst it wouldn't be important). Let's just win this game.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I believe Myron Medcalf is from Big Ten country. No surprise he'd pick Sparty. But his comment rubs me the wrong way too.

MaroonZag22
12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Medcalf is a new analyst for ESPN. I don't think he respects Gonzaga at all as he included us in the section about mid-major programs, something most analyst most likely do. But I'm fine with that. Let him talk about how these BCS teams are going to beat little old Gonzaga with no problem and then watch are boys go out and do their thing.

zagzilla
12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Bulletin board material. Hope it fires our guys up

ZZ

DixieZag
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I would much rather play the role of the spoiler, sure to be beaten, Gonzaga at home than play the "ranked, name-brand opponent that will get us on the map" that we played last week against Illinois. Motivation is a tricky thing, Meehan said that all the reporters said that Illinois played its best game of the year by far - - I would rather that be US this coming weekend, a good team needing a "good win" against a name-brand opponent and winning, then having everyone around our program talking about it being the best we have played all year.

coolhandzag
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
They play the games for a reason. Lets see what happens.

75Zag
12-07-2011, 01:39 PM
There are times in your life as a fan when you need to just ignore the statistics, the match ups and the expert's opinions and just have faith that your team is going to win regardless of what they say. As George Michaels used to say, you got to have faith, faith, faith.

Unfortunately, the GU - MSU matchup is not one of those times. I think MSU by 12 is a reasonable prediction. I would be happy to be wrong, but I am not feeling it for this game.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

zagzilla
12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
DOOOOMED!:mecry:

bartruff1
12-07-2011, 01:53 PM
There are times in your life as a fan when you need to just ignore the statistics, the match ups and the expert's opinions and just have faith that your team is going to win regardless of what they say. As George Michaels used to say, you got to have faith, faith, faith.

Unfortunately, the GU - MSU matchup is not one of those times. I think MSU by 12 is a reasonable prediction. I would be happy to be wrong, but I am not feeling it for this game.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! You are so smart and so clever and so funny...but, this time, so wrong....based not on faith (I have no faith) but on reason....I will take the 12 points

BobZag
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Same here. Hope my vibes are wrong.

NotoriousZ
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Home Sweet Home. Even though I'm no analyist (well-known or otherwise), I believe the Vegas Odds will start somewhere around Zags -4. Therefore, when the Zags win, this ESPN guy can go back to obscurity.

Gloom and doom, Bob? Bell and Sacre are fine, any bad vibes I had are gone.

zagzilla
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
@ASteinfield writes: Do you see MSU being able to extend its non-con rebounding dominance into the B1G?

Brennan: I do. The Spartans just look so much more physical this season, with Adreian Payne and Derrick Nix as well as Draymond Green battling for boards on the offensive end, that I don't think there will be too many teams that can keep them off the glass with anything resembling regularity. Of course, MSU has been feasting on lesser opponents since its two-game UNC-Duke festivities in November. But its performance on the glass and on the defensive end against Florida State -- the country's tallest team and one of the most physically imposing -- was truly impressive. Things are looking up in East Lansing.

maineblackbear
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
:-) zz, thought you'd given this up for awhile

yeah, oddity of this team seems to be that despite all of our height, strength, athleticism, we still don't rebound all that well in the paint. MSU is going to beat us up on the inside. On the other hand, the great thing about freshmen is that they can get hot at the most inexplicable times. I see good things for our young backcourt this game. Seriously-- my prediction for this game is that we will find a way to win but not because of the interior. It will be because Pangos, Stockton, MC, find a way to score 50 between them.

04ZagFan
12-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I was afraid this was going to turn into another BleacherReport like thread.. Somebody picks against the Zags and all of a sudden they are an uneducated fool who shouldn't be allowed to write. Hopefully it doesn't turn into that..

But I also have a bad feeling about this game.. Hope I am wrong though. I just don't think we are experienced enough or athletic enough to beat Michigan State. I also believe we try and pound it in to Rob just too damn much. I want more 3 point shooting. I never see any off ball picks anymore for shooters.

GU69
12-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Ken Pomeroy says Zags by 1.

I think it will be an exciting game.

BobZag
12-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I was afraid this was going to turn into another BleacherReport like thread.. Somebody picks against the Zags and all of a sudden they are an uneducated fool who shouldn't be allowed to write. Hopefully it doesn't turn into that..

But I also have a bad feeling about this game.. Hope I am wrong though. I just don't think we are experienced enough or athletic enough to beat Michigan State. I also believe we try and pound it in to Rob just too damn much. I want more 3 point shooting. I never see any off ball picks anymore for shooters.

The 3 point shot is the biggest gimmick in sports (like a 4 point field goal in football or a 5 run grand slam), but if it helps the good guys win a game, jack up that thing all night long.

bartruff1
12-07-2011, 02:47 PM
on ESPNU...I hope they don't get beat....till Sat...

Salsageek
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
We just need to make all our shots! No need to rebound. ;)

04ZagFan
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
The 3 point shot is the biggest gimmick in sports (like a 4 point field goal in football or a 5 run grand slam), but if it helps the good guys win a game, jack up that thing all night long.

Whether or not you like the 3 point shot, it's the biggest part of the game of basketball right now. Like I mentioned the other night. Statistically, and I heard Jay Bilas say exactly this, if you take two teams that are equal, the 3 point shot will usually decide the game.. Conversely, if you take two teams that are NOT equal and the lesser of the two teams wins, it's usually thanks to the 3 point shot.

mtzaga
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Myron Medcalf? Never heard of him.

allnet59
12-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Michigans guard size and strength will determine the out come of this game. If we don't set some really good screens to get some good three point shots it will be a long day for the zags. Ita time to throw in Spangler and muscle up around the rim as well the zags cannot afford to give up a lot of second chance points either. Keep your fingers crossed.

tinfoilzag
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Still beating that drum...

I always picture you on the bench sitting next to Jimmy Chitwood yelling "5 passes before any shot!" ;)

maynard g krebs
12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Still beating that drum...

I always picture you on the bench sitting next to Jimmy Chitwood yelling "5 passes before any shot!" ;)

Ralph Miller once said, "If they're gonna give you 3 points for something, it oughtta be for getting a layup out of your halfcourt offense.

MDABE80
12-07-2011, 05:32 PM
We can beat em/. We didn't exactly get cleaned out by Illinois. 7 more FT's and we won that one. I do think we can more than keep up with MSU. Hard game..yup but we can win this one.

Johnnygu
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I take Gonzaga in this one. Illinois played very well to beat the zags. Michigan State is good, but the zags are a little better in this one.

DixieZag
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
We can beat em/. We didn't exactly get cleaned out by Illinois. 7 more FT's and we won that one. I do think we can more than keep up with MSU. Hard game..yup but we can win this one.

This is right where I am. I don't think there is that much of a difference between Illinois and MSU this year. I will bet just about anyone that they split their regular season meetings (assuming they meet twice) home and home. We lost to Illinois by 7, coulda - shoulda been closer, it felt like a close game all game long, but we were playing at their place, we are young, the refs let some calls go the home way in the second half - had we shot our average FT rate - we would have lost by 2 or so.

MSU comes in to one of the toughest places to win in the country. WE are licking our wounds, looking for respect, we have had one solid week of practice. We are probably not as strong as they are, but I think we are probably more skilled. We are getting better defensively and they do not shoot all that well. I think that our outside game, which was limited by Illinois pressure, will emerge again and I see this game playing out much the same way the Illinois game played out for the home team. I just think that GU/Illinois/MSU are all in that "second tier" of 12-24 ranked teams that all have different strengths and can all beat people on any given night.

I actually DO have a good feeling about this, based largely on an expectation that our guards will outshoot theirs and take advantage of that 3 point "mysticism" to maintain a lead. We have gotten better every game, even the Illinois game, we had to play harder and fight for things that we had not had to previously.

GU - 68
MSU - 63

Bogozags
12-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I feel that this game will come down to how well we protect the ball and block out on the boards.

MSU is a rebounding machine and we just have to go after every loose ball and play great "D."

I believe MSU will be a top 15 team before it is all said and done and will be vying for the B10 title, which is why this is such a BIG game for us. A signature win! Already, 99% of the basketball world is picking MSU to beat "this" mid-major!

This will be a nice feather in our cap IF we remain collected and focused throughout the game. Our freshman will have to play with poise and purpose and determination.

We cannot play intimidated!!! If that happens, it will be over for us.

Confidence is a must and Coach Few will need a super game plan and of course, a little luck would be nice too!

Go Zags!!!

btzag
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I think we come back strong and post a nice solid win over MSU. I like the way Sacre is dominating inside and Harris is hustling like never before. Plus you add in Hart scrapping and the skill of our guards on the home court...I say Zags by 8.

By the way, ignore the 'experts' on ESPN....just heard Bardo tonight say that the Zags are the 4th best mid-major in the country behind Xavier (yes), UNLV(nope) and Creighton (no way in h%ll). Thought maybe Creighton had beaten somebody and had missed it but nope beat SDSU by 2...and that will be their toughest opponent. For the whole year.

Oh and UNLV is a top team right? Because at home they beat UNC right? No only an idiot or ESPN announcer would make that mistake. Taking away that anomaly UNLV has beat a crappy Nevada team by 4, was taken to double OT by UC Santa Barbara and then lost to a mediocre Wichita St team. Lets see how they handle Wisconsin and Illinois coming up...

Again ignore Bardo, Vitale, Knight, Digger, etc...

Vanzagger
12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
IMO I don't think Illinois played that well against us. I think we gave that one to them.

If we beat State by 5 at home that's not good enough. Send a message to the committee. We learned something from that loss. And no one comes into our house, in front of the KC, and get's traction.

Destroy these guys.

2wiceright
12-07-2011, 10:04 PM
IMO
I don't think Illinois played that well against us. I think we gave that one to them.
Destroy these guys.

If you compare the way they played tonight against ST Bonaventure their best game of the season was last Sat., IMHO.... Though, to be fair, I think the Illini had a big letdown after beating a highly (overly so) ranked Gonzaga to get them recognized and ranked.

No kidding, the Illini had a paltry 30 points with five minutes left in the 2nd half! I stopped watching as I wanted them to be a 'semi-good' loss for us in the long run. Turns out they scored 18 points in the final 5 minutes to pull out the win!

I'm with you Vanzagger, let's destroy Sparty!

awberke
12-07-2011, 11:47 PM
The best way to keep a good rebounding team at bay is to make a lot of shots!

But seriously, if rob can't snag a rebound, i want to see him boxing his guy out to the 3pt line.

Like many others i don't have a great feel about this game, but i think playing in the kennel is a mental advantage for our players.

I'm not picking a side, i just hope its close.

BULLDOG#1
12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Lot's of gloom and doom on this thread.

Said it before: If we match them on the glass and limit the TO's, then we'll win this game. Going away, if we shoot like we usually do at home.

Can we match them on the glass? Can we limit TO's? I'm guessing we can, and will.

This is a crossroads game of sorts -- coming back after the season's first loss, playing at home against a nationally recognized opponent. Win this one or lose this one, this game will set the tone for the rest of the month.

primal23
12-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Keys to this game IMHO are Carter playing decent, doesn't need to be at his best but not a TO machine, and Rob being able to get rest. He was worn out in the 2nd half, Dower NEEDS to step up and let Rob rest, or even Spangler.

Ezag
12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Keys to this game IMHO are Carter playing decent, doesn't need to be at his best but not a TO machine, and Rob being able to get rest. He was worn out in the 2nd half, Dower NEEDS to step up and let Rob rest, or even Spangler.

Those are pretty big KEYS! No doubt, Rob will show up, Elias should put up his numbers, Pangos/Stock will have their hands full but should perform. I am just not sure about the rest of the gang. Dower and Carter couldn't get it going against below average to average competition, so it will will be interesting to see if they step up to the challenge against above avg. comp. I hope so.

This is the game I feel we really could use Landry....

jim77
12-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Heres the deal...We can't just dump the ball down low and hope for the best. We will need Rob for bounds as much as scoring. Our guards probably won't be able to create against MSU...Bell is the exception. I've been hard on Sam but, if the guy brings a chip to the game he could surprise some people....he is 6-9 250...which is plenty big enough to do some damage if he so chooses. This game our Bigs need to be BIGS! The one guy besides Bell that could ahve a monster game (on offense) is "E". I think Harris will be the difference and score 20 plus. I've also had a change of heart as my instincts tell me our guys will rise up and match everything Msu throws at them.....Zags 76 MSU 70

upan8th
12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I think Tom Izzo, based on the Zag's less than robust play against a "soft" Illini group, is publicly saying all the right things ("Few's got a nice little team" etc.) while privately, he's confident that his team will crush GU on the boards, rack up a bushel of second chance points, physically dominate our undersized and inexperienced backcourt, both on offense and defense, and come away with a 10 to 15 point win.

Sounds about right. State's inexperience, at this point, will trump ours with superior athletes. Neither Rob nor Elias, and certainly not Sam, will be able to withstand the physical onslaught in the paint. Of course, if Sparty starts clanging dunks, can't make all those put backs and chippies, or the free throws they will have following those attempts, it could be closer.

I think back to the optimism here before last year's game with Memphis, and then the post game reality of the way that GU team dealt with stark athleticism: Not well. GU's group of freshman and redshirts are destined for great things, but it's unrealistic to believe they'll be on display as soon as tomorrow night.

Reborn
12-09-2011, 09:02 PM
You and your realism....Good luck! Don't dare to believe in what seems unrealistic. Play it safe and hope Sparty wins.

Reborn
12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=BULLDOG#1;706465]Lot's of gloom and doom on this thread./QUOTE]

SpartyRah
12-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I wanna believe, I honestly do.

Just b/c I don't think we stand a chance vs MSU doesn't make me a bad fan, imho.

Call me one, yet my friends, family, colleagues, & confidants would say differently.

I bleed GU. Its part of my everyday life, my annual plans, my nightly hobbies, and continual passions.

I love this team - win or lose.

Just like Memphis in previous seasons, this is a horrendous match-up for us. IF we shoot 75% as a team, knock down 10+ 3's, make all our FT's, then yes, we can compete & stay w/in 10, yet at the end of the day our starting backcourt can collectively bench what their PF can curl. I know that's a crazy comparison, yet you get the idea.

I adore the fact MSU is coming to the Kennel and I couldn't be more excited to watch us play the Tom Izzo & Co. How cool is that? I'll watch every minute of tomorrow nights game w/ very little expectation in return.

However, Bobzag said it best, Spartans have 'horses', we have 'ponies'. Its true. If you say it ain't so, you're lying to yourself and that is OK too. Everyone roots their team differently; some are realistic, some pessimistic, some poly-anna, etc. Its the beauty of sports.

The same Illinois team we just got beasted by would lose by 20 to this Mich St team. Not very good. Top-50 at best, yet we got dom--in--nated on the glass, on defense, on offense, in the paint, on the perimeter, etc.

Are we a Top-25 team? Maybe. With the right match-up, sure. MSU should be ranked Top-15 right now. Very underrated and know. Its the first time in 12 years I've felt the Zags are overrated in the polls. This year, they are. Haven't 'earned' it, imo -- not even close. I think they will by season's end.

I expect a 15-20 loss tomorrow and I'm fine saying it. Its how I see this team compared to the Spartans right now. We're out-matched at every position, save PF & C. These positions cannot carry a team at the College level. NBA, yes, yet its a guards game. Mich St has the most raw athletes in D1 at SG, SF, & PF. -- vs Hart & Carter. Uh oh. I don't want to get into our offensive or defensive issues, but we will show up and be honored to play this game at home. We're young at the "skill" positions this season and not nearly strong enough. Not yet.

While I think the Zags have *zero* chance to win, I believe in moral victories as long as it makes us better. This game is just that -- we will learn and grow. Its the type of season we need to learn every game.

Can't wait for tomorrow night. It will be fun watching the Zags take on Sparty AT home. I will cheer them on for all 40 mins tomorrow.

GO! Zags!

I would be very surprised if we win by 10+ points. Do I think MSU is a top 25 team? I do. But other than Green, we don't have a proven scorer. Sure, Appling and Wood can score in bunches but they can be very inconsistent at times. I think it's going to be a close game, but I expect you guys to come out on top.

Baldwinzag
12-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Of course they can beat MSU.

Why?

The "Zags" were founded/created/born on winning games like these -- its who. we. are.

If GU had no chance vs Sparty, as ESPN & others have mentioned, then why play the game?

The true 'beauty of sports' is we play to win. Every single game.

We've done it before and we CAN do it again.

Let's win this thing.

Reborn
12-10-2011, 07:02 AM
How could anyone think GU will lose by 20 points at home? Sounds pretty unrealistic to me? How could anyone, accept BZ, say they have the horses and we the ponies. It's BZ's way of saying, "We're Doomed." He's been doing it for years for those of you who are new. I don't feel good if he doesn't say it. I'd feel jinxed if he didn't.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can hardly wait to see the game.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Pessimism aside, I am pretty jacked for this game. I hope to start the festivities with DOOK running the Romars outta the gym

maynard g krebs
12-10-2011, 09:04 AM
How could anyone think GU will lose by 20 points at home? Sounds pretty unrealistic to me? How could anyone, accept BZ, say they have the horses and we the ponies. It's BZ's way of saying, "We're Doomed." He's been doing it for years for those of you who are new. I don't feel good if he doesn't say it. I'd feel jinxed if he didn't.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can hardly wait to see the game.

Same poster called a dbl digit home loss to the Cougs. Take it with a grain of salt.

Baldwinzag
12-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Same poster called a dbl digit home loss to the Cougs. Take it with a grain of salt.

Heck, if said poster keeps predicting dbl-digit losses and we keep winning those games...by all means, keep it up! ;)

Reborn
12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Heck, if said poster keeps predicting dbl-digit losses and we keep winning those games...by all means, keep it up! ;)

Yeah! You might be right Baldwinzag. Kind of like BZ's We're doomed thread.

gu03alum
12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/NextEdit14/writers-roundtable-our-experts-answer-five-big-questions-next-college-basketball

What bothers me is that he writes "WHEN they win", like there's not even a doubt about it. In all honesty though, I've never heard of this analyst, so his opinion isn't that big a thing (then again, even if this was a well-known analyst it wouldn't be important). Let's just win this game.

I guess he was right.